Peavey vs Fender tube amps

moestock

• Members

I've been searchin' and lurkin' for a few weeks on this forum, and so far you guys have talked me out of a Randall SS and into a tube amp. Now I'm looking for opinions on a tube combo. I've been playing guitar for about 20 years, the last ten all accoustic, avoiding all the complications and expenses of electronics. But now I have a job, and some disposable income.

Anyway... I'm looking for a tube amp that will sound good at home and have enough volume to keep up with a band. I've narrowed it down to a Peavey valveking or a Fender Hotrod, blues deluxe reissue, or maybe a supersonic. I want to keep the price at/or preferabley less than $1000. I'm also building up a home studio so recording capability is important.

I guess my question here is how does a Peavey valveking 112 compare to a fender 112? The Peavey price is very attractive, but how does the clean sound compare to a Fender?

I know playing is believing, but I havent had a chance to test either amp yet, just looking for opinions on Peavey vs Fender tube combos.

• Members

I've been searchin' and lurkin' for a few weeks on this forum, and so far you guys have talked me out of a Randall SS and into a tube amp. Now I'm looking for opinions on a tube combo. I've been playing guitar for about 20 years, the last ten all accoustic, avoiding all the complications and expenses of electronics. But now I have a job, and some disposable income.

Anyway... I'm looking for a tube amp that will sound good at home and have enough volume to keep up with a band. I've narrowed it down to a Peavey valveking or a Fender Hotrod, blues deluxe reissue, or maybe a supersonic. I want to keep the price at/or preferabley less than $1000. I'm also building up a home studio so recording capability is important.

I guess my question here is how does a Peavey valveking 112 compare to a fender 112? The Peavey price is very attractive, but how does the clean sound compare to a Fender?

I know playing is believing, but I havent had a chance to test either amp yet, just looking for opinions on Peavey vs Fender tube combos.

i wouldn't go for any of those. the valveking 112 leaves a lot to be desired. way too much gain with the boost engaged, cleans are ok. hot rod clens are ok, but drive sucks; same with the blues deluxe, but both benefit from putting a jensen P12N Alcino speaker in them, but nothing great. SUpersonic has great cleans, but i hate the drive....holy {censored} do i hate it.

for fender, i would recommend either a fender bassman LTD reissue, or deluxe reverb reissue. great cleans and they both like pedals.

for peavey, you owe yourself to try a classic 50, 2x12. the cleans are better than the deluxe reverb (imho), but not quite as good as the bassman. it also has a great overdrive channel.

• Members

Under $1000, I second the vote for a Peavey Classic 50 2x12. Look for a used one. Really nice clean and overdriven sounds. Plenty of volume to keep up with a band, I used to gig with one, but still sounds really good at low volumes.

I'd pass on the Valveking.

• Members

indeed playing is beliving, but keep in mind just cuz the amp sounds like magic a low volumes does mean it will when cranked to show volumes, tone changes alot as u bring up that volume knob

id say the valveking is ur best bet, i really fin the fender overdrives weak and lacks a wide frequency range(as in not having enough bass and top end) IMO, having the eq. before the preamp stages, while good for blues, is part of the reason why the gain is weak.

the valaveking cleans are still pretty good and so is the gain channel

• Members

Go to like any store, and they will probably have all of those amps.

And for the record, I think a Peavey Classic would be a better contender than the Valve King in that department. With both of those amps, the 1x12 isn't quite like the others, though. They're both muffly. The Classic 50s and the Valve King head I have played sounded like different amps.

Something else to look at along those lines and in that price range would be the Vox AC CCs.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions, I havent even considered a classic 50, didnt even know they existed but now I'm very seriously considering one. Right now I have a Marshall shredmaster distortion pedal and a 1989 Alesis Quadraverb Plus for effects. I'll probably be updating my effects soon after buying the amp, maybe a Boss or Digitech floor unit.

As soon as my tax refund(~$1150) comes in I'll be buying the guitar I've wanted for the last 15 years, a Gibson les paul studio in wine red chrome hardware...mmmmm.

But initially I'll be playing through my 92 Ibanez RG570.

I'm insanely considering just ordering an amp from musicians friend without trying it out first, hence this thread. The nearest Peavey dealer I could find is about an hour drive from me, and my usual music store sells fenders and Marshalls so obviosly they're pushing them on me.

I don't know, Classic 50 212 looks good but thats alot of cash, and I really want to avoid buying used if at all possible, if enough people recommend it I might just "pull the trigger". Keep the advice comin', I need it!

• Members

How about the Valveking 212 ?

Or the Hot Rod Deville, which is also a 212?

In Europe the Valveking 212 doesn't cost much more than the 112 (only about 50 euro, if I remember correctly).

I'm also considering getting one of those or a Fender Hot Rod.

• Members

The nearest Peavey dealer I could find is about an hour drive from me,

Well how much would you spend in gas to drive to the Peavey dealer?

If you get if from MF and don't like it you have to pay shipping to send it back. How much would shipping be on a 212 combo? Probably more than the gas.

I'd take the trip and play them first. I have a feeling if you do, you'll come home with one.

:thu:

• Members

I really like the SuperSonic. It's better than anything else you listed. Seems that there's a lot of variation from amp to amp though, so if you decide to go that way, make sure you try before you buy.

I'd pick a Peavey Classic before a ValeKing or a Hot Rod. Look at Traynor's YCV50 Blue and the Crate V30 also.

• Members

I'm in the same boat... Narrowed it down to Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville, Peavey Classics... and now I've thrown in the Epiphone Blues Custom 30 2/12.

I'm heading to a GC this weekend and will demo some and give a report..

You can hear some good clips of the Peavey Classic on You Tube...

• Members
Well how much would you spend in gas to drive to the Peavey dealer?

If you get if from MF and don't like it you have to pay shipping to send it back. How much would shipping be on a 212 combo? Probably more than the gas.

I'd take the trip and play them first. I have a feeling if you do, you'll come home with one.

:thu:

Wise words :idea:

• Members

I'm not going to order anything without trying it first, not anything over

~$500 anyway. I know thats a bad idea, just a little patience.

I got a defective Behringer bass amp from MF and they paid all the shipping costs to send another amp of equal price, sent fedex right to my house to pick up the bad one. If I'm sending something back just cause I don't like it would I be paying shipping? Just curious.

I've noticed the MF supersonic prices went up to $1199 recently, yet zzounds has it under $999. Local music store says $999, and offered me a Gibson LP standard for $1800, $500 less than MF. Its the Iced Tea color though which I'll have to see in person, definitely not my first choice from the pics I've seen, and for that price range I'm not willing to compromise on what LP I really want.

I'll be checking out the fenders next week, and a smaller store nearby has valvekings I can check out. Then I'll be off to some unknown place, probably Reading or Allentown PA to try out the Peavey classics.

The clips of the supersonic on MF sound really good to me, so who knows. I have a lot of sampling to do, thanks for the advice!

• Members

As a Fender Blues Deluxe player and owner - I'll agree the drive channel sucks - but i just don't use it. I really like the clean channel and use that exclusively. I've heard a speaker change makes a big difference, so I may look into that - but I do like the Blues Deluxe a lot and I'm pretty happy with the tone I'm getting stock.

But if you can step up to the Deluxe Reverb RI - do that. It is a better amp - they just didn't have any when I was buying mine. The DRRI is one of the best club amps period for under $1000.00...

• Members

Well I'm mainly interested in natural sweet tubey cleans from the amp itself, I'm not at all opposed to using a pedal or processor for effects/distortion, I'm actually expecting to do so. I'm really looking for versatility, everything from clean Grateful Dead and Clapton to hard rock AC/DC and Skynard to metal like Megadeth/Metallica, but I know I need pedals for that, and I already own them. So the cleans are what is most important straight from the amp.

Nice review on the Crate though, thats definitely on my list of amps to try out now!

• Members

the vk cleans are very good, just a tiny bit short of the fender sparkle. on the other hand fender overdrive channels are lacking, even the supersonic which was designed for hi-gain IMO sounds weak and not aggresive enough. The vlave king on the other hand has good hi gains and using the texture control provide great mid gain tones as well.

• Members

go with a used fender. check craigslist. you can save a bunch of cash. if its an older tube amp, make sure you are prepared to upgrade the tubes/change the cable to a three prong, and other costs (biasing, scratchy pots) in the long run you will end up with a simpler circuit, that will be more reliable.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/280310103.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/285269046.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/287023036.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/280275626.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/268152952.html

i have no idea if philli is near you, but there are some nice deals there. add seymourduncan twin tube overdrive, that would be all you need in the gain department. volume wise fenders are very loud!

good luck

dk

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/282875414.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/282440699.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/280636823.html

Archived