Hammond B3 Topic: When a musician's equipment FAR FAR FAR exceeds his talent level...

New Trail

• Members

No question, just a story to relate:

I had to go to a work related Christmas party recently that featured a live band. I was stoked to see a B3 and Leslie on stage, as well as quality equipment for the rest of the band as well. However, when they started playing I was surprised by the low to average quality level of the individual musicians, and the band overall, and this is a well-known local band that plays all the best rooms and plays all the time.

In particular I was really surprised by the seemingly beginner level playing of the B3 player, and the horrible trebly piercing tone he was getting. He also had some other kind of keyboard for piano sounds, and his talent level on that was rudimentary at best. His equipment far exceeded his talent level. He was an older fellow, so maybe he actually was a beginner and wanted to start on the best, so who's to fault that?

Any thoughts?

I'm not knocking them because they're playing more than I am, just some observations. BTW there were several people there (who also know that I play) who said that our band was MUCH better than this band FWIW.

• Members

Most people don;t seem to realise, I guess non-musicians don;t think about stuff like that, and probably half the audience are too drunk to notice anyway.

There used to be an awful synthpop band here called Adfinem, which had a singer and two guys with two keyboards each, only everything really was backed up and all they did was knock off a few chords. No-one actually seems that bothered about it.

On the other hand, my ex had a music degree and the skill level of a concert pianist, and used to complain when he was in a gothic band that nobody noticed that he actually very seriously could play.

The crowd is fickle, Commodus :lol:

• Members

Most people don;t seem to realise, I guess non-musicians don;t think about stuff like that, and probably half the audience are too drunk to notice anyway.

The crowd is fickle

Yeah, I've been to enough gigs (and the occasional open-mic night) where the crowd goes crazy over the least talented musicians. There was a local coffee house where we played awhile back--later in the evening some kid came in with an electric guitar and one of the smallest and worst sounding amps I've ever heard. He started playing, but was just making noise... no actual melody or recognizable song of any sort. :rolleyes:

Our lead singer was giving him compliments and encouragement. Go figure.

• Members

It goes the other way too. we host a jam night and typically the key guys that sit in with monster chops tend to cut the band to ribbons. I would guess it comes from playing solo piano bar stuff. They have trouble fitting into a full band. If you listen to stuff like modern country where studio pros are laying down the tracks ,, the organ part are very simple and understated.

• Members

No question, just a story to relate:

I had to go to a work related Christmas party recently that featured a live band. I was stoked to see a B3 and Leslie on stage, as well as quality equipment for the rest of the band as well. However, when they started playing I was surprised by the low to average quality level of the individual musicians, and the band overall, and this is a well-known local band that plays all the best rooms and plays all the time.

In particular I was really surprised by the seemingly beginner level playing of the B3 player, and the horrible trebly piercing tone he was getting. He also had some other kind of keyboard for piano sounds, and his talent level on that was rudimentary at best. His equipment far exceeded his talent level. He was an older fellow, so maybe he actually was a beginner and wanted to start on the best, so who's to fault that?

Any thoughts?

I'm not knocking them because they're playing more than I am, just some observations. BTW there were several people there (who also know that I play) who said that our band was MUCH better than this band FWIW.

What do you mean by "much better"? As in, better at squeezing 20 more notes per minute into a solo?

• Members

certainly, playing very few notes in a band setting is not necessarily an indication of poor chops

rather the contrary, I suspect

That's true sometimes, but not in this case. I listened for nearly a full set and the keyboard parts just weren't there. He was (in my mind) a beginner with great gear. Another possibility is that he showed more of his ability in songs they played after I left. I guess it's also possible that, since he's an older guy, he's at a certain level of proficiency and has been there for years.

• Members

What do you mean by "much better"? As in, better at squeezing 20 more notes per minute into a solo?

Certainly not. His solos were really single notes. His piano solos were just running the notes of the chords. I know I'm not describing it very well.

• Members

Certainly not. His solos were really single notes. His piano solos were just running the notes of the chords. I know I'm not describing it very well.

I guess I'd have to hear it to judge then.

I have heard pianists who can deliver satisfying emotional impact with just a few notes. I have also heard pianists who can be just as economical, yet also flat out boring.

Then there are the ones who frantically squeeze out as many notes as they can into as small a time frame as possible, as if going for the Guiness world record in notes per second or something. It's like listening to someone talking as fast as he can and only pausing to gulp a breath of air - exhausting to my ears and not fun to listen to.

Then there are some who can be very fiery (play very fast) while maintaining listeners interest - but even these will slow down on occasion to let a phrase "breathe".

• Members

All my equipment exceeds my ability...sigh...

Yes, that is the story of my life.

But years ago I decided not to worry about it and just have fun.

But I guess what the OP meant was, he saw a band that had good equipment but totally sucked. Yeah I've seen that happening.

[video=youtube;1Y5cqcR3Bd0]

• Members

Actually the whole concept of feeling "not deserving of my gear, or any piece in it" due to my talent level, is a totally alien thought to me. If I had a CS80 or Moog Modular, I would TOTALLY think that I deserve it, even if I were one-tenth the keyboardist I am. I'm sure most of you feel the same way. I have seen many UToobs vids of people on CS80 and Moog Modular putting out some pretty crappy synth demonstrations, which would only tend to increase my thinking that, "hey, I truly deserve to have one if this person does". I don't spend my days thinking like this, of course, but when you are in the heat of the moment these kinds of thoughts can run through your head.

• Members

I'm the opposite. I have lots of talent, have the requisite 10000 hours on both guitar and keys. And I will probably never own a grand piano, will probably never own a real Gibson guitar. I'm up against a wall right now because my keyboard is too heavy to gig with and I can't manage the dough for a Korg sp250 which would be just the ticket. I've always, all my life, had trouble affording equipment that is good enough for what I want.

*sigh*

you make your choices

• Members
If I had a CS80 or Moog Modular' date=' I would TOTALLY think that I deserve it, even if I were one-tenth the keyboardist I am.QUOTE']

I have a Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo, and I totally deserve it, but that's not based on my ability to play it.

OTOH, I auditioned for lead guitar in a classic rock band once, but I didn't really want the gig. showed up with my friend's $10 flea market guitar and a Crate amp and nailed it. rhythm guitar guy had a $2000 amp and 6 different guitars worth probably 3-4 times the amp, and he was just OK, if you know what I mean.

• Members

Here's the thing -

Don't assume a guy is a beginner just because he is not very good - if you have no talent, you will suck forever.

I have come to despise the way talent is regarded these days. It's like, "ooh, you're talented, you're going to the top". Talent will be of assistance on the first 15%, but the rest is hard work. Talented people can suck too. I have a great ear and learn easily, and during the past years, I have realized that my talents used to become a comforting excuse that kept me from improving so much more than I did.

• Members

Being the ripe old age of 40, I don't care what anybody does or what they think. When I play out, I play out as a drummer. I play pretty straight though. Nobody cares. I have friends with chops to spare. They play "Satisfaction" and "Bad Moon Rising" with all their paradiddles, flamadidles, ratamacues, and all their over the bar polyrhythms. People always come up to them after the show and tell them how great they are. I think it sounds like {censored}.

Do I deserve my keyboard gear? I just love old keyboards. When I got into vintage keys, nobody, AND I MEAN NOBODY!!!, wanted them. After the DX-7 came out, for about 10 years straight, anything analogue was loathed by "real" keyboard players. As for my keyboard talent, to most people, I totally suck. But at 11:00 on a Saturday night, with the lights dim, surrounded by string machines, mono synths, polysynths, electric pianos, organs, and an 8-voice choir wheezing away out of rickety old Mellotron, I'm a freakin' superstar.

Anyway, it's fun.

• Members

After the DX-7 came out, for about 10 years straight, anything analogue was loathed by "real" keyboard players.

I still feel the same way. I dumped mine back in the day and never regretted it. Still don't. Analog is trendy now just like 8 bit and SID chip music.

Archived