Best speaker for a deluxe reverb?

bluesboy

• Members

A Greenback might be worth a shot, or Eminence makes some great speakers that are based on older American-toned speakers.

Weber has had rave reviews, but I have yet to try one...

hmmm... i've tried and liked numerous eminence speakers,,, not in this type of amp though.

• Members

Which ones have you tried?

I have a friend who has a DRRI with a Greenback in it and it sounds great when he gets it turned up.

Ive tried a texas heat, a swamp thang, and a black powder. I had a greenback in my peavey classic 30, and I liked it. I just worry that it wouldnt sound good in an amp like this... Im considering it though.

• Members

I guess the next question is whether you have a certain sound in your head. Any particular tone that stands out to you on recordings? It's good to understand where people are coming from tone-wise when they mention certain tones.

stuff like led zeppelin (stairway to heaven solo, thank you, no quarter) or any basic southern rock like lynyrd skynryd (sweet home alabama, countless others). Those are the types of sounds Im after.

• Members

cool... thanks for all of your help!
:thu:

On the Fender Forum the top picks are:

Weber 12F150

Tone Tubby

Emminence Cannabis Rex (hemp cone licensed from Tone Tubby)

JBL D120F

One of the forum members posted these sound clips:

http://myfavoritevideoclips.com/soundclips.html

I have a DRRI, and I have tried a few different American-type speakers that sounded good. Presently I have a Weber California (Weber's take on the JBL) and it is great. I also run a Cannabis Rex in a 1x12 cabinet with the DRRI. I like the sound of the California and the extension Cannabis rex. I have had a Weber Michigan (Electro Voice EV-L 12, clone). All of those that I tried sounded very nice, in fact the Jensen C12K that came with the amp sounded pretty nice too.

Archived