Gibson Les Paul Custom or Standard

keith2112

• Members

I have an 81' Gibson Custom that was basically a guitar that had been thrown in the dumpster at the factory (due to a mistake with the bridge placement) and brought back to life. It plays and sounds awesome.

I think the newer Gibson customs (and most Gibsons) are overpriced. For the prices some of these guitars are, you should get perfection. Most of the time I hear complaints from people about them.

I personally like the look of the black Gibson Custom, but I like Doug Aldrich and he plays one. I think the ESP Eclipse is an awesome "copy" of the Custom.

• Members

They're {censored}ing gibsons.

It's not like any 2 are the same. You just have to play them until you find THE one for you. Might be a custom, might be a standard, whatever. I wouldn't limit yourself in your search. Just avoid buying them from guitar center, they won't be setup for {censored} and you won't be able to tell if it's a good guitar or not.

-W

• Members

Nice guitars! How big of a difference do you notice between the two guitars? Not talking pickups, etc. but actual playability, etc.?

The Gibson slays the Epi at the moment,BUT...

I bought the Epi brand new & it needs a good once-over(nut tweak,frets checked).The Gibson has been totally tweaked,including a fret dressing.

I just got the Epi back from a p/up swap & had plans to drop it at the tech,but I went ahead & re-strung it,dicked around with the set-up a little & gigged it.It's pretty playable,but I'd say it's only at about 80-85%,set-up wise.

There's certainly not a few thousand dollars in difference,IMO...

Archived