Why are teenagers ruining metal?

murdock

• Members

I almost wrote a huge argumentative reply, but i really don't see how it will sway any close minded metal that teenagers aren't ruining metal. So i'll paraphrase it.

Metal isn't yours, music isn't yours, it never was, it never will be. Music in all of its glorious genres is everybodys. Anyone that picks up and instrument, has their own window to shape sounds, influence others, or just straight up rip off other bands. So sure lots of kids nowadays ripoff Trivium, and Lamb of God, and Slipknot, and Korn, and The Deftones. It sucks we know. Some people like it good for them. You don't good for you.

But you know what else? Back in your mother{censored}ing golden days of "real" metal, whenever the hell that was. There were just as many {censored}ty bands ripping off Sabbath, and Slayer, or even {censored}ing Whitesnake, if thats what you consider is real metal.

Music isn't any worse today than it was 30 years ago, nor is it less creative. You're old, bitter, and unwilling to accept that your "Metal" is going in a direction that you're less than pleased with. I'm sure Sabbath bastardized Rock and Roll for alot of people, yet even more embraced it, and made it their own. It's an on going cycle. Everybody wants to make music they love their own.

So todays metal isn't you metal.
You have an opinion.
I have an opinion.
Trivium worshipping guitar playing teens have opinions.

So please, just stop {censored}ing whining and deal with it. Or if it bothers you that much do something other than bitching about how Killswitch Engage isn't Metallica on an internet amp forum. :idea:

Okay so that wasn't so much paraphrased. Oh well.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I almost wrote a huge argumentative reply, but i really don't see how it will sway any close minded metal that teenagers aren't ruining metal. So i'll paraphrase it.

Metal isn't yours, music isn't yours, it never was, it never will be. Music in all of its glorious genres is everybodys. Anyone that picks up and instrument, has their own window to shape sounds, influence others, or just straight up rip off other bands. So sure lots of kids nowadays ripoff Trivium, and Lamb of God, and Slipknot, and Korn, and The Deftones. It sucks we know. Some people like it good for them. You don't good for you.

But you know what else? Back in your mother{censored}ing golden days of "real" metal, whenever the hell that was. There were just as many {censored}ty bands ripping off Sabbath, and Slayer, or even {censored}ing Whitesnake, if thats what you consider is real metal.

Music isn't any worse today than it was 30 years ago, nor is it less creative. You're old, bitter, and unwilling to accept that your "Metal" is going in a direction that you're less than pleased with. I'm sure Sabbath bastardized Rock and Roll for alot of people, yet even more embraced it, and made it their own. It's an on going cycle. Everybody wants to make music they love their own.

So todays metal isn't you metal.

You have an opinion.

I have an opinion.

Trivium worshipping guitar playing teens have opinions.

So please, just stop {censored}ing whining and deal with it. Or if it bothers you that much do something other than bitching about how Killswitch Engage isn't Metallica on an internet amp forum.
:idea:

Okay so that wasn't so much paraphrased. Oh well.

And before i get my head torn off by someone.

-No i'm not a teenager. But barely.
-No i don't condone in 90% of the {censored} being marketed as metal these days
-And i say everything with complete and utter respect for my elders :D

• Members
it saddens me
:cry:

someone have an explanation?

:snax:

Yeah, you're an old elitist who used to be a young elitist. You forget that what you listened to growing up was hated by older guys, and now you are doing the same ignorant thing.

It's ok, there's a whole board that thinks exactly like you.

• Members
Yeah, you're an old elitist who used to be a young elitist. You forget that what you listened to growing up was hated by older guys, and now you are doing the same ignorant thing.

It's ok, there's a whole board that thinks exactly like you.

Totally man, what people seem to forget is music is all subjective to personal taste and to think your personal taste is definitive is just stupid. I have a lot of music i dont like but that doesent make it {censored}.

Some of the old guys dont appreciate that maybe we dont want to clone all the stuff they listened to back in the day and do something different? Theres very few classic rock/metal bands ive ever enjoyed, the rest bore the {censored} outta me.

For the record my mum turns 50 this year and enjoys killswitch engage when i blast that out :thu:

• Members

You won't get it through their heads hehe its ok.

It's the general rule (of course there are exceptions), that you'll like the older generations music, you'll really like your own generations music, but anything after will always be crap. heh

• Members

Metal music is {censored}. It's a stagnant scene.

All it reminds me off are spotty, long haired geeks with Iron Maiden, Lamb of God and KSE t-shirts that wear Trivium hoodies or leather jackets, talk about how br00tal they are and how Herman Lee can pwn anyone on guitar.

I used to hate trendy people, now I spend most of my time hanging out with trendy guys/gals and hate metalhead kiddies...

Funny how things change.

• Members

I'm doing you a favor then by not playing any

metal is just kinda laughable in and of itself. anyone who takes it seriously enough to refute my saying so needs to re-evaluate what really matters. and before someone says "well you like hardcore, hardcore is even more laughable" I dont like hardcore, i like a couple hardcore bands. i pick and choose from every genre, just like everyone should.

I'm 17 and I've gone through the metal phase (3 years ago, which is ages for me) and now i'm doing either grindcore, prog hardcore, or pop rock. if you still like bands that use 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2 cookie cutter beats and youre not 13, thats just sad

my ~2cents

• Members

All it reminds me off are spotty, long haired geeks with Iron Maiden, Lamb of God and KSE t-shirts that wear Trivium hoodies or leather jackets, talk about how br00tal they are and how Herman Lee can pwn anyone on guitar.

I used to hate trendy people, now I spend most of my time hanging out with trendy guys/gals and hate metalhead kiddies...

Funny how things change.

It's not a freaking crime to stay true to your roots, guys. I grew up when Nu-metal was "the scene", and I'm still a huge fan to this day, when the scene has latched onto something else. Nine Inch Nails, KoRn, Deftones, tOOl, Alice in Chains... these bands were great when they were big and it's totally ok to still love them.

I've grown to accept that my scene is dead and music just like this will never be made again. I say that I hate today's scene, but it's really just jealousy that the music I like isn't the scene anymore.

• Members

Funny how things change.

I know exactly what you mean, though I still know a load of trendies who are absolute twats. Not all of us with longer hair are spotty, greasy, geeky metalheads though :o

• Members
I know exactly what you mean, though I still know a load of trendies who are absolute twats. Not all of us with longer hair are spotty, greasy, geeky metalheads though
:o

Yeah sure. I mean I look probably like the opposite of any metalhead kid :lol:

I get weird looks when I buy Cannibal Corpse albums from HMV so it's all good haha

Lots of guys at my college would never have me in their bands because I don't have the image. Some girl thought I was a twat just because I didn't look like a metalhead and she "hates all trendies!". She was like "oh yeah, I love all the unknown bands. They rule so much more then popular stuff"
I mentioned I liked Necrophagist, Cynic, Textures and Cynic etc... She sorta went "... Oh yeah, uhm... Yeah they're cool... :confused: "

:freak:

• Members

the things I don't like with metal today is mostly:

-TONS of breakdowns in each song

-horrible, horrible "singers", yeah, I'm talking about the growlers.

-all of 'em tuned down to C,B or somewhere around that

-every lead guitarist seem to have discovered SWEEP-PICKED ARPEGGIOS about 20 years too late. and now they're using 'em in every single {censored}ing song. (but It's cool with good and technical guitarplaying,)
and don't get me started on harmonizing every riff too.(again, cool, if used right...like in Priest, Maiden and such :mad: )
- beat of choice: Snare - Kick - Snare - Kick - Snare - Kick...tempo 180 bpm.

-Trivium.

• Members

Every generation thinks that their music is "better" than the one that came before it and after it.

I'd say that Metal had it's golden days between 1980 and 1995.

(both commercial and underground)

after that...it started going downwards.

• Members

The retarded focus on Breakdowns are just an outgrowth of the stupid "slam-dancing" or whatever the hell these idiots do in the pit. What happened to regular moshing? Is it not good enough for them?

Alt tunings are the current fad, you can't really change that. They want to do everything in "their own way". It's kinda like when 7 strings came in vogue in the late 90s.

The Cookie Monster is being used as a template for vocals, God knows why.

Sweep picked arpeggios being used in EVRY FREAKING SONG are just another fad- these guitarists have no knowledge or experience in good songwriting, so they resort to technical filler.

• Members

metal is for teenagers! If you don't like it your getting to old..

I am not much into Trivum, As I Lay Dying , Atreyu etc.

but that's ok..it's not really for me...

The older generation always hates the latest version of the music they grew up on..no bigee..just realize it's not for you!

Archived