New products from Alesis at WNAMM 2012

k2500x

• Members

The keytar is an idea I've never connected with.There is something quite unappealing about watching someone play it, although I have been known to enjoy watching someone play synthesized guitar.

It's like the player goes out of their way with their playing style to dramatically show everyone "look, I'm free from being stuck behind my keyboard", and then they overcompensate.

Even Jordan Rudess couldn't change my mind.

Tell that to George Duke.

y7Ut28opQqY

• Members

.... The extended solo and the rapid runs up and down the keys drive me up a wall..usually time for a beer break, bathroom break or fast forward on the DVD.

So if you ever see people heading towards the bathrooms when you begin playing your Keytar solos...remember me.
:lol:

I'm not a fan of the extended solo (regardless of what instrument it's being played on) - which translates to mean that you won't see me grabbing my keytar for extended solos and rapids runs up and/or down the keys.

For me the keytar is what makes it possible to get up, stretch my legs, walk over and interact with myh bandmates in their space on those tunes where my parts are simple. It allows me to come out from sitting behind a two tiered rig - and move around a little - while still adding the simple stuff. Keytarin' certainly ain't a main component of my performance - but it does allow for a nice little change of pace for me and puts a slightly different look to the band when I use it.

• Members

Keytarin' certainly ain't a main component of my performance - but it does allow for a nice little change of pace for me and puts a slightly different look to the band when I use it.

Yep. I probably wouldn't use it more than two or three times a night---which is why I'm reluctant to pay a lot of money for one---but I would use it partly as a gimmick (nothing says "80's" during one of the 80's songs like a keytar!) and partly because I have a general aversion to lead singers who aren't front-and-center on stage while singing. So I'd use it on one of the few songs where I'm singing lead to bring more focus to the lead singer.

• Members

Does the display say "037" or "LED" ?

If it's the former they still have a little tweaking to do
;)

alesis_vortex.jpg

Oh, and apparently:

Q2-2012

MSRP US$399

Estimated street US$249

Yeah I saw a video where the rep said $299.

Still, at that price it puts it in impulse buy territory. We could see a resurgence in the keytar just because of that *shudder*.

• Members
Yeah I saw a video where the rep said $299.

Still, at that price it puts it in impulse buy territory. We could see a resurgence in the keytar just because of that *shudder*.

You'll like it when you see me wailin' away on it. :lol:

Better than an air guitar. :lol:

• Members
It's not the 50' USB cable you'll need, though I have yet to see a 50' MIDI cable, either. It's the 50' Wall Wart cable that will be the problem....

vortex_sidepanel_web_med.jpg

I've got a 100' midi cable I could sell you.

Then again, I may need it since, at $249-$299, I'm definately picking one of these up early so I can be on the frontlines of the Keytar Resurgance! :thu:

They can't be so dumb as to not have made this thing run on batteries, could they??

Archived