How do I get my piano software to sound more realistic?

vice2.0

• Members

Not really. Pianoteq doesn't sound as stiff and mechanical like "TruePianos" do (IMO, YMMV, and all that crap). Also has much better sympathetic resonance behavior, duplex resonance, and everything that goes along with it. Plus it's a lot more flexible. And yes, it sounds better, too.

http://www.vpiano.net/modeling%20pianos%20shootout.htm

Case in point. Pianoteq literally swept the floor with the other ones in this skirmish here. And that is not an exaggeration. Listen to how funny TruePianos sound on that Chopin example. Even the TP2 preview Atlantis module. Sounds almost like a late 90s rompler to me. In a bad way. Way too dry, no resonance whatsoever, nothing happening, stiff, dull and mechanical.

• Members

I knew I'd get a rise out of you. My opinion is the opposite -- trying all the presets, none of them sounded nearly as realistic as TP's Atlantis module. Nor as good, playable, lively, responsive, etc., etc. To me, night and day difference and TP Atlantis is the clear winner. That's based on how I play a piano, not based on how it sounds with a MIDI file playing stuff I don't play. I just didn't like how any of the PianoTeq pianos sounded or felt when I played them.

You're right that PianoTeq is more flexible, if you get the full version (which costs substantially more).

• Members

Well, I guess that's really subjective. Atlantis module did zero for me. Absolutely nothing. They can keep on trying. And I also base my opinion on how I play the piano, but this shootout proved my viewpoint even more. If Atlantis sounds "realistic" to you, I think you have a really skewed perception of how a real piano sounds like. Because everyone I asked personally (including my piano teacher from music school) unanimously agreed that there's nothing "true" in how TruePianos sound.

Archived