I have the worst strat and tele gas in the world.

rememberduane

• Members

I want either a G&L ASAT Special or a G&L Legacy. Preferably either one in tobacco burst with a maple fretboard and gun-oil neck. Locking tuners.

It's killing me, slowly inside.

If you had to choose, which would you get? Not that it will have any bearing on what I get... I just think it's nice to talk about strats and teles now and again instead of Ibanez, Jackson, Caparison, and all that.

As far as classic strats and teles go: What's important for you? I need a maple board, big frets, 11's, locking tuners, and a satin neck as far as playability go. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. With a decently resonant body and some good pickups, I'd be happy as a pig in {censored}. Then again I am happy with a Mexi strat most of the time (but I own a Rick now).

• Members

I'm a strat guy myself - but both a excellent guitars. I find strats to be more comfortable and versatile - teles are big and boxy (thus, 'plank-spankers'), but have a great sound, especially in the bridge pickup.

Mine is currently a maple-board, but I wouldn't quibble over a rosewood (actually, I'm starting to dig the darker sound of a rosewood slabboard...). And I absolutely LOVE my nitro-finished body - it's even got the 'closet classic' weather checking. That brings me to what I need:

A) 3 good-sounding single coils (anything vintage-style, alnico, handwound, not too overwound/compressed) with a hotter bridge pickup for balance and nice lead output.

B) Callaham bridge block - these things are the BOMB, and for $65 you can't go wrong. Did more for my sound and sustain than I ever imagined (same goes for his tele bridges and saddles)

C) Blender-pot - getting that 7-way strat (plus blending capabilities) gives ultimate in versatility (for teles it would be the 6-way wiring...)

D) The look - must look classic/stock (or close, no silly mini-toggles or pushbuttons), and as silly as it may sound, that Fender headstock logo just gives me chills (G&L is cool too, as is Anderson...). I can't even believe I care so much, but whenever I see a nice guitar with a blank 'licensed-shaped' headstock, I can't help but think it's not complete. Maybe it's the history, all those images of Jimi and Clapton and Gilmour and SRV with those registered trademarks above their fretting hands, that I want to be a part of. I know that short of the neck, body and pickguard, my guitar has nothing "Fender" in it (even the frets and nut are aftermarket), but that spaghetti logo makes it so. I definitely get "oooh, fender" and "nice strat" comments that I wouldn't if the logo were scratched off - it's dumb, but I like it.

Archived