Mark III: 100W/60W vs. Class A/Simulclass???

rog951

• Members

Okay guys. I've seen Mark IIIs with the far right back panel switch labeled both ways. I'm looking in the owner's manual and it's not 100% clear (to me at least) if:

1) the switches do exactly the same thing and the labeling was changed

or

2) the switches actually perform a different function.

What's the deal??? :confused:

• Members

Anybody?! I've got a transaction kinda hanging on the answer to this...

My red stripe has Class A/Simulclass and I like both modes for different things.

I'm thinking about picking up a blue stripe that's in much better shape but it has the 100W/60W labeling. I just wanna find out what, if anything, the difference is because I like having those two mode on mine.

• Members

Anybody?! I've got a transaction kinda hanging on the answer to this...

My red stripe has Class A/Simulclass and I like both modes for different things.

I'm thinking about picking up a blue stripe that's in much better shape but it has the 100W/60W labeling. I just wanna find out what, if anything, the difference is because I like having those two mode on mine.

Totally different animal. The Simul-class in the Class A mode drops to 15 watts.

In Simul-class mode, I believe its 75 watts. You really can't compare the 60 watts to the Class A 15 watts. If you're trading, I'd stay with the Simul-class, If you're just getting another MB, then it's O.k.:)

• Members

Totally different animal. The Simul-class in the Class A mode drops to 15 watts.

In Simul-class mode, I believe its 75 watts. You really can't compare the 60 watts to the Class A 15 watts. If you're trading, I'd stay with the Simul-class, If you're just getting another MB, then it's O.k.
:)

Thanks! See...that's what I kinda thought. The percieved volume in Class-A mode goes WAY down and I thought it HAD to be putting out less than 60W! I'm pretty attached to this feature too. So, are the amps with 60/100 not considered simul-class? The guy was advertising it as a simulclass amp but might not know the difference.

BTW, it wasn't going to be a trade...more like a "buy the new amp and A/B for a while and then sell the one I like least" kinda situation. Although, the wife wants me to sell first and use the $$$ to buy. She's seen the amp pile grow too much recently and my promises of selling stuff haven't been 100% panning out :(

• Members

Yikes, I had no idea. My blue stripe Mark III has a switch on the front, full power/half power. Always thought this meant simul-class.

Oh well, it's got everything else.

Really? On the front? There's no switch on the back, over by the heat sink?

Let me know if you ever wanna get together for an A/B of the two amps. I wanna come check out your new Splawn anyway...when's the ETA?

• Members

Thanks! See...that's what I kinda thought. The percieved volume in Class-A mode goes WAY down and I thought it HAD to be putting out less than 60W! I'm pretty attached to this feature too. So, are the amps with 60/100 not considered simul-class? The guy was advertising it as a simulclass amp but might not know the difference.

BTW, it wasn't going to be a trade...more like a "buy the new amp and A/B for a while and then sell the one I like least" kinda situation. Although, the wife wants me to sell first and use the $$$ to buy. She's seen the amp pile grow too much recently and my promises of selling stuff haven't been 100% panning out
:(

The 60/100 watts is NOT simul-class,and has NEVER been. Alot of people try to sell the like this cause they're more desirable. Just trying to get more money for the amp.

• Members

The long heads with the 1/2- Full Power switch on front can be Simulclass. Mine is, check the transformer on the rear it will be taggged simulclass or call Mesa with the serial # or tranny #.

Simulclass is class A and AB running simultaneously, at 75w, hence the name.

60/100 or 60 watt amps are class AB only.

• Members

The long heads with the 1/2- Full Power switch on front can be Simulclass. Mine is, check the transformer on the rear it will be taggged simulclass or call Mesa with the serial # or tranny #.

This man speaks the truth. Head over to forum.grailtone.com....they'll verify the info.

• Members

On the rear panel near, the extension plug receptical, there will either be a plate that says simul class or SC written in marker, depending on the age.

On my MKIII Coliseum, the 1/2 power switch does NOT disengage the simul-Class feature, it mearly drops the power output. Simul-Class in my case, is ALWAYS engaged. If there is no simul-Class/Class A switch on the rear of the chassis all the way to the right, it is probably NOT Simul-Class.

• Members

On the rear panel near, the extension plug receptical, there will either be a plate that says simul class or SC written in marker, depending on the age.

On my MKIII Coliseum, the 1/2 power switch does NOT disengage the simul-Class feature, it mearly drops the power output. Simul-Class in my case, is ALWAYS engaged. If there is no simul-Class/Class A switch on the rear of the chassis all the way to the right, it is probably NOT Simul-Class.

My MArk III has the 1/2 power switch with Simul-class. I thought when it is in 1/2 power mode, the outside tubes would only be working? I personally love the 1/2 power mode since I use EL-34's. The tone is a little softer and has that George Lynch type tone (if set correctly) ;)

• Members

My MArk III has the 1/2 power switch with Simul-class. I thought when it is in 1/2 power mode, the outside tubes would only be working? I personally love the 1/2 power mode since I use EL-34's. The tone is a little softer and has that George Lynch type tone (if set correctly)
;)

You will still be running in simul-Class mode (assumming you're running in Simul-Class mode that is) while running the 1/2 power switch, just less power. :thu:

• Members

Interesting stuff:thu:

About 4 weeks ago I called the factory regarding prodution #'s of my amp and we discussed this very topic.

I LOVE Mesa/Boogie!!! They are such great amps and their customer service guys are awesome too. I got my 1st Boogie (MKII) back in 1980 and have been using MK series amps ever since. :thu:

BTW, I hate you... J/K

You have such a KILLER collection of gear.

• Members

Mine was advertised to be as simul-class, but I don't think it is. It's a long head with the half power switch, but I don't think there's anything else on the back. I'll have to double check though.

Mine does have the cool international tranny with the selectable voltages though. (EQ as well)

• Members

Really? On the front? There's no switch on the back, over by the heat sink?

Let me know if you ever wanna get together for an A/B of the two amps. I wanna come check out your new Splawn anyway...when's the ETA?

Yeah man! That'd be awesome. My Splawn is scheduled to ship on 3/29, but I may cancel the order (if possible) because Romanian Reaper wants to sell me his which is 8 months old. That would save me some loot. Hopefully, I can finalize that in the next few days!

It'd be nice if my Mark III could go down to 15 watts, but I don't think it's simul-class. It was sold to me as such and I didn't know the difference. Even at half power, it roars! It's got the all important EQ though.

• Members

Mine was advertised to be as simul-class, but I don't think it is. It's a long head with the half power switch, but I don't think there's anything else on the back. I'll have to double check though.

Mine does have the cool international tranny with the selectable voltages though. (EQ as well)

Hey!!! How do you like the avatar vintage 4x12?! We were all waiting for people to post reviews on those suckers and no one ever did :mad:

• Members

Hey!!! How do you like the avatar vintage 4x12?! We were all waiting for people to post reviews on those suckers and no one ever did
:mad:

Actually, I did post a review and lots of people saw it. I guess you missed it!

I love the cab, looks and sounds great and you can't be the price shipped to your door. Got mine with greenbacks and I love it!

• Members

My long head (blue stripe) has the full power/half power switch on the front, a Simul-Class power label on the back, but no other simul-class switch. I'm confused? Seems like it's simul-class, but I don't think I'm getting 15 watts when running half power??????

:confused:

• Members

Actually, I did post a review and lots of people saw it. I guess you missed it!

I love the cab, looks and sounds great and you can't be the price shipped to your door. Got mine with greenbacks and I love it!

How does it sound compared to your mesa cab?

• Members

How does it sound compared to your mesa cab?

The Mesa has Vintage 30's so there's an automatic difference based on the speakers. I love greenbacks though... Nice and warm and crunchy. The mesa has a slightly bigger sound to it because of its size.

What most people are worried about is cab construction and these are made by Mojotone, who have a pretty good reputation. I did not like the old Avatar 4x12, but this one is great. I'd certainly buy another one!

• Members

The Mesa has Vintage 30's so there's an automatic difference based on the speakers. I love greenbacks though... Nice and warm and crunchy. The mesa has a slightly bigger sound to it because of its size.

What most people are worried about is cab construction and these are made by Mojotone, who have a pretty good reputation. I did not like the old Avatar 4x12, but this one is great. I'd certainly buy another one!

actually Avatar has made it clear that Mojo does not make the vintage 4x12s for them. Mojo only makes the 2x12 for them.

• Members

My long head (blue stripe) has the full power/half power switch on the front, a Simul-Class power label on the back, but no other simul-class switch. I'm confused? Seems like it's simul-class, but I don't think I'm getting 15 watts when running half power??????

:confused:

That is interesting. I would call Mesa with your Serial# and find out exactly. Mine is the 13th Coliseum MKIII made of approximately 200, and it has the Simul-Class option installed, but has NO Simul-Class/Class A Switch on the back either. I too have the Full/Half power switch on the front and was told, by Mike B at Mesa (The actual guy who built my amp) that even when running half power, which I NEVER do anyway, the amp is ALWAYS running the Simul-Class circuit.

When you find out let me know, I love this kind of info. It allows me to be more helpful to others in the future.

Thanks,

Zach :thu:

• Members

I had to revisit this thread with some info on the 1/2 power switch.

The Collesium heads have a 1/2 power switch which changes the power tubes to triode mode from pentode to reduce the output level. There is no removal of tubes from the circut and it will always be in Simulclass mode.

The 4 tube 100 watt chassis with Simulclass transformers in the long head will have a 1/2 power switch on the front panel. This switch is Simulclass= Full power and Class A= Half power. The inner tubes will be off in half power leaving only the Class A (EL34) wired outer tubes in operation at a very loud 15 Watts.

The inner tubes are Class A/B and are on in Full power only along with the outer Class A tubes which is Simulclass operation.

The Mk III Simulclass amps should have a Simulclass tag or sticker on the transformer or on the back panel of the chassis.

The transformer # 562003 is Simulclass. There may be others. This is the transformer on the right side facing the rear of the amp. It will say Mesa Boogie Simulclass on the right side cap also.

I gave the wrong tranny # before, sorry.

I just talked to Mike B. last week and brought this subject up to clear it up for myself.

Archived