JVM is...

mightyjoeyoungxnj

• Members

{censored}ing great...

Man what a sweet amp. I'm so glad I bought this sucker. To get this out in the open: Yes it does chug, quite nicely I must add. Also, the master volume is GREAT on this amp. Whoever thought, a Marshall that sounds awesome at low volume? Of course it sounds better cranked, but it does just fine low down too.

Clean channel is great, not sterile in the slightest, real nice. Crunch is awesome, has that barely overdriven Plexi sound. The OD channels are ridiculous. The amount of gain on the red modes is unreal. Having the gain at 9:00-10:00 is PLENTY for the heaviest of metal. And I love uber down tuned death metal, just so you have an idea where I'm coming from.

The footswitch is awesome. I think mine has a slight issue though. When I'm in OD2 red mode, the light isn't on. I'll probably just take that up with Marshall, it should be covered.

Question though for owners: Do you find that the resonance knob doesn't have much effect on the crunch channel??

Also, the master volume thing has me slightly confused as well. What's the difference in the seperate masters?? Just so I can have a boost pretty much for solos?? thanks...

Verdict: This amp kills and I don't plan on selling it any time soon. A+ Marshall, you've redeemed yourselves.

-Joe

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

{censored}ing great...

Man what a sweet amp. I'm so glad I bought this sucker. To get this out in the open: Yes it does chug, quite nicely I must add. Also, the master volume is GREAT on this amp. Whoever thought, a Marshall that sounds awesome at low volume? Of course it sounds better cranked, but it does just fine low down too.

Clean channel is great, not sterile in the slightest, real nice. Crunch is awesome, has that barely overdriven Plexi sound. The OD channels are ridiculous. The amount of gain on the red modes is unreal. Having the gain at 9:00-10:00 is PLENTY for the heaviest of metal. And I love uber down tuned death metal, just so you have an idea where I'm coming from.

The footswitch is awesome. I think mine has a slight issue though. When I'm in OD2 red mode, the light isn't on. I'll probably just take that up with Marshall, it should be covered.

Question though for owners: Do you find that the resonance knob doesn't have much effect on the crunch channel??

Also, the master volume thing has me slightly confused as well. What's the difference in the seperate masters?? Just so I can have a boost pretty much for solos?? thanks...

Verdict: This amp kills and I don't plan on selling it any time soon. A+ Marshall, you've redeemed yourselves.

-Joe

VERY COOL JOE!!

I love having two masters, it can be used in an obvious way in a SOLO boost but why not make it a MUTE by turning it all the way down and writing a program as a killswitch between songs?

Also, they come in handy if you have one of the channels set up with a Low gain setting and want to switch to a high gain setting...The Volume difference would be too Extreme.

So, you can set the 2nd master to make the lower gain setting loud enough to compete with the highest of gain channels:thu:

• Members

the two MV's are for two different volumes,

You can set mv2 to 0 for a mute ;)

-or-

set it higher for a solo boost?

i'd like one too! I'm glad it can do T3H ChuGg becuase thats what i generally do ;)

• Members

VERY COOL JOE!!

I love having two masters, it can be used in an obvious way in a SOLO boost but why not make it a MUTE by turning it all the way down and writing a program as a killswitch between songs?

Also, they come in handy if you have one of the channels set up with a Low gain setting and want to switch to a high gain setting...The Volume difference would be too Extreme.

So, you can set the 2nd master to make the lower gain setting loud enough to compete with the highest of gain channels:thu:

Ah I see...I'm contemplaiting trying some different speakers/cabs. Right now all I have is an Avatar with one vintage 30 and one hellatone 30. Sounds great so I might not bother.

-Joe

• Members

VERY COOL JOE!!

Because turning your volume knob on your guitar works just as well and you don't need redundant functionality?

Plus, if you're playing live, you should probably have a tuner setup that can mute the signal anyway...

• Members

Because turning your volume knob on your guitar works just as well and you don't need redundant functionality?

Plus, if you're playing live, you should probably have a tuner setup that can mute the signal anyway...

PiZZ0wn3d to tha MAX FACTORZOROZ

• Members

O is that true?

SO you have a guitar Volume Knob that goes from all the way up for your regular Playing volume/gain to an additional Volume boosting for solo's? Wow I got to see this:confused:

• Members

O is that true?

SO you have a guitar Volume Knob that goes from all the way up for your regular Playing volume/gain to an additional Volume boosting for solo's? Wow I got to see this:confused:

Oh really? Because I was talking about the mute "feature" of this second MV...

And by the way, yes I do. It's called setting up my rhythm sound to work well at my guitar volume being say, 7. Then my guitar cleans up by 4-5 for a clean at the same volume, and moves to a lead/solo boost with a bit more gain at 10.

I don't do that with my current amp though, because it's lead channel has a built in boost.

• Members

Where in Jersey did you pick it up, and how much $ if you dont mind me asking? Fell free to PM me if you would rather keep it on the DL.

Dan

Nowhere in Jersey...I bought it from Musician's Friend..Around $1,750 I believe. The local Guitar Center ran out, and MF has a kickass return policy so I got it from there. Shipped in 4 days I believe.

-Joe

• Members

And by the way, yes I do. It's called setting up my rhythm sound to work well at my guitar volume being say, 7. Then my guitar cleans up by 4-5 for a clean at the same volume, and moves to a lead/solo boost with a bit more gain at 10.

I don't do that with my current amp though, because it's lead channel has a built in boost.

Yeah that sounds alot easier and less redundant than selecting the 2nd master for more Volume, good job:confused: :blah:

So lets say someone wants the output and gain they get with the GTR volume all the way up for their Rhythm sound and then wants a Volume boost for a Lead? Are you disputing that a 2nd master Volume is not a good solution for this?

• Members
Yeah that's alot easier and less redundant than selecting the 2nd master..
:blah:

So lets say someone wants the output and gain they get with the GTR volume all the way up for their Rhythm sound and then wants a Volume boost for a Lead? Are you disputing that a 2nd master Volume is not a good soluton for this?

Actually, that's very handy. But seeing as each channel has its own output level, you can set up one high-gain channel for rhythm with a lower volume setting, and the other with a slightly higher volume and different settings for lead. Similarly, since each channel has its own output level, its pointless to use the overall masters to compensate for the volume differences between channels.

• Members

BTW, the MUTE function would be for switching guitars live. Ever pull the guitars plug out at high volume? Yeah, not gonna work too well is it:idea:

You might want to think this all through before you start giving out your crappy advice..

• Members

Actually, that's very handy. But seeing as each channel has its own output level, you can set up one high-gain channel for rhythm with a lower volume setting, and the other with a slightly higher volume and different settings for lead. Similarly, since each channel has its own output level, its pointless to use the overall masters to compensate for the volume differences between channels.

You would think so but it doesnt really work like that. Those Channel Volumes are also Loop sends and they affect the tone of the Channel.. Not the same thing at all

• Members

BTW, the MUTE function would be for switching guitars live. Ever pull the guitars plug out at high volume? Yeah, not gonna work too well is it:idea:

You might want to think this all through before you start giving out your crappy advice..

Holy {censored}, you're just a complete moron. Did you miss the tuner part of what I'm saying, or are you saying you don't use a tuner live? If the later is a case, well then, I know who I'm talking to.

Second point, I wasn't going to even bring up the volume knob as a boost function, I never was saying this is a bad idea for a solo boost, I even mention my current amp has a footswitchable boost. Your not understanding what I said because you're reading comprehension is that of a retarded 7 year old led you to believe that I was at all criticizing it's function as a solo boost. For that, it works fine (although is a bit retarded considering it's a four channel amp. Isn't the point of four channels so that you can have separate clean. rhythm, and lead sounds setup? I digress...), however, to use it as a mute is simply dumb. First off, a tuner should give you the same function under your foot. Second, unless your throwing your guitar at some roadie and you need him to throw another one back to you and you can do this instantly, I guarantee you that you have the time to walk over and hit the standby switch.

Regardless, there are about a million ways to mute guitar that are more convenient and no more expensive then just about any current setup used live. At least as a boost, it avoids dumbasses like you learning how to use their pinky to turn the volume knob (What? A volume knob? Mine stays at 10 all the time for the METULZ!) or having to buy an overdrive, or, God-forbid, setting up one of your four channels with three modes of increasing gain each for a lead sound.

Christ.

• Members

Damn, so I guess mentioning the JVM around here automatically results in bickering?? lol...Good ol' HC. :-D

-Joe

Nope. I just thought that someone was giving dumb advice, called him out, and he's got his panties all twisted up because I said something he suggested doing was redundant.

• Members

Nope. I just thought that someone was giving dumb advice, called him out, and he's got his panties all twisted up because I said something he suggested doing was redundant.

You aint proved {censored}...

MUTE is for Guitar Changes and 2nd Master can be used for additional

Volume.. So what did you prove wrong again???

You proving to be a joke

• Members

You aint proved {censored}...

MUTE is for Guitar Changes and 2nd Master can be used for additional

Volume.. So what did you prove wrong again???

You proving to be a joke

I'm saying there are a million ways to mute, other than wasting a perfectly good solo boost on it that are far better ideas--like using your tuner or the standby switch.

I'm saying that you already have at least three things you can do to mute your signal, and choose which is appropriate for what task. Why use a forth thing?

I also mentioned as a side note, that I don't find the solo boost to be crucial, particularly on a four channel amp.

You've proven that you probably don't use a tuner, think it's uncool to hit standby, and don't care about turning down between songs or just didn't think to include that in ways to use a "mute" which is fine and a separate issue.

Stare at the titties. You'll feel better, I promise.

Archived