OT: My rant on people and speeding tickets.

BigFatPaulWall

• Members

I think this point might have been brought up under the topic 'idiot drivers' but who the hell can determine whether or not a person has driving ability the handle the speeds they think they can..

The driving test in the US is a joke, the one in UK isn't too much better (no motorway/freeway driving for a start)....I don't have experience with other countries to comment.

..then try and account for variables such as weather and road surface...you are continuing to learn to drive until you've experienced all the situations you and your car can handle and even then you may still be at the mercy of some dickhead who decides to pull out from a give way or stop sign without looking....

Speed limits in town are, by and large, appropriately reduced....there has to be some penalty for not obeying them otherwise people just won't use 'common sense' and likewise there has to be discretion on behalf of the officer otherwise it'll be seen as unreasonable....wtf cares if I do 45 in a 35 mph business disctrict in the dead of night for example?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

People who purposefully speed and then get pissed off at the cop that pulls them over just simply need to shut the {censored} up. Period.

Anyone who has the balls to lay the blame on the police officer because of that person's speeding habit is just a worthless, hypocritical, walking pile of {censored}.

Every person who gets pissed off at a police officer when they knew they were speeding deserves to pay 10x the amount that's required on the ticket.

If you ever get pulled over, do yourself a favor and just accept the fact that you were caught, pay the fine, and go on with your life. There's no need to fight the ticket,
because 99.8% of the time you will lose
. There's no need to get pissed off at the police officer, because he's just doing his job.

Have a nice day.

Horribly inaccurate in my experience. Cops rarely show up to court (where I'm from), so fighting it usually results in getting the ticket dropped all together.

• Members

well, I've had some experiences where cops were very forgiving to me. From simply giving me the thumbs down as I drive by (meaning slow down - there's a town around here with super cool cops that way) to catching me doing 72 in a 55 and writing 65 on the ticket so it wouldn't go on my record. I think that's why people speed so much around here, is that they know #1. the chances of being caught are pretty low ( I hardly ever see troopers pulling anyone over) and #2., if they keep it within 10 MPH over, they ony pay money for the fine, the ticket does not go on record to insurance complanies.

• Members

Rules are rules. If everyone twisted the rules a bit for their own convienience, it wouldn't be pretty. I live in Northern Virginia. Half the people here talk on cell phones while driving and run red lights constantly. I'm not talking "it just turned red", I mean seconds later. People speed here too and we are talking serious speeding. Everyone here is in such a huge hurry all the time because they work 2 hours from home and think they'll get home sooner by breaking the law.

I say if you want to speed, pay the consequences. I'v never had a speeding ticket in my life and I have a 2006 Mustang GT. If I can get away with speeding and not getting caught, the rest of you should too. :p

• Members

i always drive withing 507 mph f the limit..in my youngers years ive done 155

-157 max speed..i averaged 118mph over a 2 hour road trip to detroit..but hey i was lte for a wedding..man people got out of the way...i had the present next to me in the pass seat so if i got stopped i was hoping the officer let me go..but then again i might have had to go to the station:-)

• Members
Rules are rules. If everyone twisted the rules a bit for their own convienience, it wouldn't be pretty. I live in Northern Virginia. Half the people here talk on cell phones while driving and run red lights constantly. I'm not talking "it just turned red", I mean seconds later. People speed here too and we are talking serious speeding. Everyone here is in such a huge hurry all the time because they work 2 hours from home and think they'll get home sooner by breaking the law.

I say if you want to speed, pay the consequences. I'v never had a speeding ticket in my life and I have a 2006 Mustang GT. If I can get away with speeding and not getting caught, the rest of you should too.
:p

Tow trucks don't usually speed, I can see why you've never gotten a ticket. :D

My view kinda goes like this: Yes, the speed limits are unbearably slow at times, but thousands of people still wind up killing themselves every year even at those speeds, so raising them probably won't help.

• Members

People who purposefully speed and then get pissed off at the cop that pulls them over just simply need to shut the {censored} up. Period.

Anyone who has the balls to lay the blame on the police officer because of that person's speeding habit is just a worthless, hypocritical, walking pile of {censored}.

Every person who gets pissed off at a police officer when they knew they were speeding deserves to pay 10x the amount that's required on the ticket.

If you ever get pulled over, do yourself a favor and just accept the fact that you were caught, pay the fine, and go on with your life. There's no need to fight the ticket, because 99.8% of the time you will lose. There's no need to get pissed off at the police officer, because he's just doing his job.

Have a nice day.

i dont hate cops because they give me speeding tickets- i accept the ticket when they give it to me- after all-- i WAS SPEEDING--

what pisses me off is when they write up extra bull{censored} tickets just because they feel like being assholes and making extra revenue for the state.

• Members

Yes, the speed limits are unbearably slow at times, .

speed limits for big trucks are 55 in illinois and ohio statewide and 55 around indiana- which is UNBELIEVABLY SLOW!!!

nobody drives 55. it's a joke.

if every truck on the highway drove 55 in those states everyone would hate truckers because they'd become rolling roadblocks and it's not thier fault.

it's bull{censored}.

• Members

So to summarize, I don't hate speed limits, I hate speed traps and ticket
quotas.

WIN

speed traps suck, and undercover cops suck. im getting good at recognizing them but it sucks to have to be paranoid, scanning the road for american cars that could have cop lights installed, instead of looking ahead and watching for potential disaster

• Members
speed limits for big trucks are 55 in illinois and ohio statewide and 55 around indiana- which is UNBELIEVABLY SLOW!!!

nobody drives 55. it's a joke.

if every truck on the highway drove 55 in those states everyone would hate truckers because they'd become rolling roadblocks and it's not thier fault.

it's bull{censored}.

You asked for it :D
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Q6Wld_RAj4&mode=related&search=

• Members
San Jose Police make over $70K, entry level. Not what I'd call low, even for the Bay Area. Source:
http://www.policeone.com/careers/1229073/

If you've ever driven on the autobahn in Germany you'd know that doing 100 doesn't mean endangering people's safety. Drivers there know that the left lane is for passing, etc. The real reason why there's a lot of {censored}ty drivers in the U.S. is because of the {censored}ty driving instruction and lax testing that puts all the morons behind the wheel in the U.S. Sure speed can be a part of the reason for an accident, but it's not really a root cause.

How many times have you seen a left lane hog doing exactly the speed limit and holding up traffic here, even though the DMV handbook specifically states that the left lane is to be used for passing and that slower traffic must move to the right? I see this all the time. Then the guy behind gets pissed and starts tailgating. The the driver in front decides to do a brake check. Then there's an accident. If anything, the police should be ticketing drivers that are oblivious to the actual rules (the ones that make sense) of the road.

Just because the rules are there doesn't mean they're not stupid. Laws here are dumbed down for the lowest common denominator. You say "what about the kid that runs out on the street?" I say the parents need to teach the kid not to run out in the street. The smaller object should always have to look out for the bigger object, not the other way around. Otherwise, why not make residential speed limits 15, 10, or even 5mph? Who says the old grandma in the beat up '70s car with drum brakes can react in time even at 25mph? What makes you think 25mph is magically "safe"?

The only thing some of these laws do is give people a false sense of entitlement and safety. I commonly see people just jump into a crosswalk, EXPECTING cars to stop for them, just because they're in a crosswalk. That's stupid. I see bicycles suddenly jump out on the street or hog the entire lane. That's stupid. If they tried that in China or something they'd get their ass run over. Thus, they'd learn real quick not to pull that {censored}.

Now, not all speed limits would be bad if they can somehow have different classes with REASONABLE speeds. I think it depends on the driver and the car. If we had better, more strict driving tests we can classify drivers. As for cars, a late model 2900 pound Porsche with 4 wheel, 4 piston anti-lock disc brakes is going to stop MUCH faster than a 6000 pound SUV with front disc brakes and rear drum brakes. That's just simple physics and can't be argued. So if an SUV can do 65mph on the freeway, the Porsche should legally be allowed to do 90mph.

Dude, speaking of San Jose/Campbell area, if you're familiar with Leigh Ave. between Hamilton and Dry Creek...huge 4 lane road straight as an arrow, with a 35 speed limit. STUPID! I know someone that got a ticket for 37 on that street.:mad:

• Members

Dude, speaking of San Jose/Campbell area, if you're familiar with Leigh Ave. between Hamilton and Dry Creek...huge 4 lane road straight as an arrow, with a 35 speed limit. STUPID! I know someone that got a ticket for 37 on that street.
:mad:

I'd fight that, I thought tickets were for 5 mph over. 2 mph could just be a bad radar gun. Anyway, roads like that are what I was talking about. Major roads with ridiculous speed limits designed to make money

• Members

Guys this could be useful

40803. (a) No evidence as to the speed of a vehicle upon a highway shall be admitted in any court upon the trial of any person in any prosecution under this code upon a charge involving the speed of a vehicle when the evidence is based upon or obtained from or by the maintenance or use of a speedtrap.

If your given a ticket while in a speed trap and live in california, the cop can't do {censored}.

Archived