OT: My rant on people and speeding tickets.

BigFatPaulWall

• Members

You wouldn't have to if the speed limits were reasonable

+1

I'd say the #1 reason most people speed is that a lot of speed limits are ridiculously slow.

In my home town, there is a four lane road that goes for two to three miles, on the edge of town with nothing around it, and the speed limit is set to 35 mph specifically to catch people who actually have someplace to be and need to get there today.

Thirty {censored}ing five miles per hour.

That's retarded. I'm not saying every speed limit is retarded. 70 on the highway is decent enough, but in some towns it gets pretty absurd. Of course the OP will bitch about people complaining who "break the rules" but has he, even for a moment, ever considered how or why those rules came to be, or who made them? Has he considered that things like speed traps exists to boost local economies by scamming people out of their hard earned money? No, he doesn't consider reasons behind things, only things as black and white as "this is a rule so I have to follow it no matter what."

Oh man, some dudes wearing robes at the county courthouse told me I couldn't drive a certain speed on a certain road. Do I even question why? Nope. What I will do though is treat that rule like gospel and fight anybody who even thinks to question otherwise.

"Somebody told me to do something so I'll do it."

People like the OP are the reason the word "sheeple" exists.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
That's the thing though. People, as a general rule, can't handle that kind of freedom. Montana tried the no speed limit thing for a while, but what happened is every asshole that could came and drove 140 mph, whether they had the driving ability and car to handle it or not, and they didn't pay any mind to adverse weather conditions and the like. Then, when they were involved in a fiery car crash, they tried to sue. So, it's back down to 75 or whatever.

exactly...people are stupid and dont know their or their cars limits. i know my car can do about 120...but am i going to try to do that? not usually!!! its a 4 door family sedan and its not a race car, or even a performance car. not to mention American roads arent really built well enough to guarantee safety at those kinds of speed. if you go that fast and hit a pothole or a nice bump say goodbye to your car, and maybe your life!

even the Autobahn has limits and rules...and because of how it is built it is MUCH safer than any of our roads. its thicker, more durable, smoother and the turns are more gradual. but that doesnt mean you can do full speed all the time!

ive gotten one speeding ticket in my life...92 in a 70 (actually a 65 zone but the cop cut me a little break i think), and a careless driving ticket. i was stupid, i know that, and even though i may go 5 over most of the time on the highway i dont do what i did then. i have gotten up to 100 a few other times, but i stopped that really quick remembering that ticket and how bad it hurt my insurence. so im not immune to being dumb (although i like to go fast...) its better to stay within limits and stay away from tickets!

every time someone passes me doing about 20 more than i am, and around the next bend are pulled over...i LOL at them!!! :thu:

• Members

+1

I'd say the #1 reason most people speed is that a lot of speed limits are ridiculously slow.

In my home town, there is a four lane road that goes for two to three miles, on the edge of town with nothing around it, and the speed limit is set to 35 mph specifically to catch people who actually have someplace to be and need to get there today.

Thirty {censored}ing five miles per hour.

That's retarded. I'm not saying every speed limit is retarded. 70 on the highway is decent enough, but in some towns it gets pretty absurd. Of course the OP will bitch about people complaining who "break the rules" but has he, even for a moment, ever considered how or why those rules came to be, or who made them? Has he considered that things like speed traps exists to boost local economies by scamming people out of their hard earned money? No, he doesn't consider reasons behind things, only things as black and white as "this is a rule so I have to follow it no matter what."

Oh man, some dudes wearing robes at the county courthouse told me I couldn't drive a certain speed on a certain road. Do I even question why? Nope. What I will do though is treat that rule like gospel and fight anybody who even thinks to question otherwise.

People like the OP are the reason the word "sheeple" exists.

I'm sorry if I'm the only one in here that realizes driving a car can be a dangerous thing.

• Members

Speed limits are artificially low because the pigs need a way to pay their ridiculous salaries and benefits. It has NOTHING to do with safety, and everything to do with $$$. BTW, the Nazi's that ran the death camps claimed to be "just doing their jobs", and that didn't wash at Nuremberg.

Sid

People who purposefully speed and then get pissed off at the cop that pulls them over just simply need to shut the {censored} up. Period.

Anyone who has the balls to lay the blame on the police officer because of that person's speeding habit is just a worthless, hypocritical, walking pile of {censored}.

Every person who gets pissed off at a police officer when they knew they were speeding deserves to pay 10x the amount that's required on the ticket.

If you ever get pulled over, do yourself a favor and just accept the fact that you were caught, pay the fine, and go on with your life. There's no need to fight the ticket, because 99.8% of the time you will lose. There's no need to get pissed off at the police officer, because he's just doing his job.

Have a nice day.

• Members

I'm sorry if I'm the only one in here that realizes driving a car can be a dangerous thing.

Did you even glance at my post for more than two seconds?

Safety, a lot of the time, isn't why speed limits are set the way they are.

Once again, refer to the last two sentences of my previous post.

• Members
70mph speed limit on the motorways really pisses me off, esp at 2am.

Maybe there should be a lower limit for peak times and a 90mph night limit. I mean sometimes the road is deserted and we are expected to trickle along at 70mph. Besides cars are much safer these days with better brakes and suspension - higher speed limits out of towns should be granted,

No one actually sticks to the speed limits on motorways though, unless youre going through an average speed zone. Well no one I know does anyway :D

• Members

i once got pulled over while delivering pizza with the car topper on at 6:30. The lady preceeds to ask me if i have any idea what time it is.....rush hour, and that im being dangerous. Of course i know what time it is, im deliving pizza, its dinner time and we are busy as hell.

Too bad, she responds, with a speeing ticket. {censored} small towns and women on power trips as cops.

• Members

Speed limits are artificially low because the pigs need a way to pay their ridiculous salaries and benefits. It has NOTHING to do with safety, and everything to do with $$$.
BTW, the Nazi's that ran the death camps claimed to be "just doing their jobs", and that didn't wash at Nuremberg.

Sid

Rediculous? Are you {censored}ting me?

Cops are incredibly low paid for what they do - I make more my first year out of college than most cops with 4-5 years of experience.

And please give me a {censored}ing break on the Nazi {censored} - the speed limits are enforced because some people are stupid enough to risk everyone else's safety by driving 100 on the interstate.

I'm sorry that you feel opressed by the speed limits in the nation, but they are there for a reason, like them or not.

• Members

Speed limits are strategically placed not only to stop accidents but to PURPOSEFULLY CREATE CONGESTION, congestion that we are now paying for by the mile.

I'll take any chance to get out a speeding ticket, thanks.

I never got one tho....yet....

• Members

Lol. Way to avoid everything I've said so far and substitute an actual rebuttal with cheap insults.

I think it helps your cause. No, really.

It actually does.

Think about it, you wouldn't be bitching about speed limits in the first place if you had some patience. It's common sense.

BTW, if you really want to piss off a cop, drive the speed limit...regardless of whether you think it's too slow or not. They hate that.

• Members

It actually does.

Think about it, you wouldn't be bitching about speed limits in the first place if you had some patience. It's common sense.

BTW, if you
really
want to piss off a cop, drive the speed limit...regardless of whether you think it's too slow or not. They hate that.

I'm sorry, not liking a 30 mph speed limit on a major road where 50 would be safe isn't a matter of patience, its common sense.

• Members

It actually does.

BTW, if you
really
want to piss off a cop, drive the speed limit...regardless of whether you think it's too slow or not. They hate that.

So, you're telling me it's common sense to blindly follow every order you're given?

Funny, I thought the very definition of common sense was the ability to assess a situation for one's self without outside input.

• Members

So, you're telling me it's common sense to blindly follow every order you're given?

Funny, I thought the very definition of common sense was the ability to assess a situation for one's self without outside input.

If that means being safer around other people (children included), then yes.

Safety for other people Saving 30 seconds of time...

...now THAT is common sense.

• Members

Driving 50mph on a residential road is stupid.

Wow.. One-size-fits-all, blind to individual particularities and circumstance judgments for the loss.

What if the road is two lanes on either side and five miles long, with no house within 500 yards, only driveways leading to fenced in properties? Then would a 50 mph limit be stupid?

• Members

If that means being safer around other people (children included), then yes.

Safety for other people
Saving 30 seconds of time...

...now THAT is common sense.

But who says having a lower limit really makes things safer? We're not talking about speeding through crowded movie theaters, we're talking about all roads, including deserted backroads, which are the most likely to have absurdly low speed limits.

Are you really blind to the possibility of speed limits existing for reasons other than safety?

But I forget... you're not capable of questioning. This might seem crass, but if you had lived in, oh I don't know... let's say Germany in the 1940's and an authority figure told you that killing all Jews was not only not illegal, but was the right thing to do... what would you do then? after all, it's only "common sense" to obey the law.

Also, another scenario... let's say you lived in a part of the world known as Oceania around the year.. um, how about 1984? Now let's suppose that the government of Oceania told you that observing art and talking in public was wrong. what would you do then? After all, it's only "common sense" to obey the law.

Would you blindly follow because that's what you're told?

• Members

The thing that pisses me off is warnings. If I'm going to get a $150 for going 10mph over the speed limit, and the guy behind me is going to get a warning going 20mph over because the other cop is in a better mood, or because he's a smooth talker, that's pretty messed up. A friend of mine has been pulled over doing 25 over with an expired inspection sticker, and he got a warning. A week earlier I got pulled over for a rolling stop at a dead intersection at 1 in the morning, and I got a $135 ticket :freak:

Archived