I want more guitar volume with less feedback

alcohol

• Members

Here's the problem. I play in a small club with a Marshall 50 DSL and 1/2 stack. The amp is not going through the PA system. Small PA for vocals only. I'm told I should be louder, but when I put up the volume the guitar is feeding back when I don't want it to. Would another cab help? Or do I need to go through the PA? I'd rather have the necessary sound come from my amp because this is a small club. (70 people)

The guitar is a 67 SG.

• Members

It depends on the club. For some reason the stage of this club eats volume and I got a really loud drummer to dominate. If I turn down the preamp gain I don't overdrive the power amp and lose that sweet amp distortion.

Actually I'm looking for someone who has experience with both a half and full stack to answer this question.

• Members

Try lowering the pickups in the guitar a bit, amoung other things having the pickups too close to the strings results in unwanted feedback. Give it a try and see where it takes you.

Hope it helps

Trace

This might be the answer. thanks

Joe

• Members
the pre-amp. seriously - turn down the gain which will get rid of the feedback, turn up the masters which will give you more volume and more power amp drive - hence fatter tone!!!

Here's the basic rule of thumb when playing live

As your master volume goes up, your gain and presence should be turned down. :idea:

The louder you play the less preamp gain, and presence you need. The decimator is a good idea as well. You absolutely do not need anothre 4 x 12, you just need to adjust your gain & presence, and maybe your pickup height.

You should have no problem driving people out of that room with a 50 watt marshall and a 4 x 12

Archived