FJA 5150 vs. Fireball

Rindgecore

• Members

Alright, i've decided that my 5150 II just doesn't have the kind of clarity I need for my style of music (techy death metal). My other guitarist has a Powerball, and his stuff just comes through a lot more detailed, while I'll have a distinct cloudiness that I can't get rid of. So I need to pick up something new. I've been really considering picking up a Fireball, as i've heard it being very similar to a Powerball but with a bit more growl, which seems right up my alley. But then I hear people saying that the 5150 and the Fireball are more or less the same animal. Is this true, or do the Fireballs have that distinct Engl clarity that i'm hearing through the Powerball? Or am I just barking up the wrong tree altogether and I can achieve my goal by modding my 5150 II? Gimme some advice here people.

• Members

Josh uses a 6505 and me a Fireball in the same band. The clarity in my amp is killer, if you make a mistake this amp is very unforgiving. I don't know if modding the 5150 will make it similar.

Side note, does your other guitarist have cutting through against your 5150?

• Members

Alright, i've decided that my 5150 II just doesn't have the kind of clarity I need for my style of music (techy death metal). My other guitarist has a Powerball, and his stuff just comes through a lot more detailed, while I'll have a distinct cloudiness that I can't get rid of. So I need to pick up something new. I've been really considering picking up a Fireball, as i've heard it being very similar to a Powerball but with a bit more growl, which seems right up my alley. But then I hear people saying that the 5150 and the Fireball are more or less the same animal. Is this true, or do the Fireballs have that distinct Engl clarity that i'm hearing through the Powerball? Or am I just barking up the wrong tree altogether and I can achieve my goal by modding my 5150 II? Gimme some advice here people.

Post your 5150 settings as well as your signal path including guitar, cab and effects.

• Members

I certainly wouldn't call the 5150 and the Fireball the same animal. There's definitely that unique Engl voicing that makes it so great for death metal.

I haven't played a modded 5150, but I can tell you that I've had my FB for 2 years now, used it extensively in a band both at practice and at gigs, and I still love it. People complaining about the cutting are usually up against a 5150 set so it drowns out anything, the fact that you'd be pairing it with a Powerball assures your tones would blend well.

• Members

I'm not saying that my 5150 isn't clear, it's just that it's not as clear as the Powerball. And that's how clear I need to be.

No effects, just 21 foot monster rock into my rack with the DTR-1000 and a modded TS-7 set to clean boost. Cabs are listed in my sig.

Settings:

Pre: 3.5

Low:6.5

Mid:4.3

High: 6

Resonance: 6.5

Presence: 6.5

• Members

I'm not saying that my 5150 isn't clear, it's just that it's not as clear as the Powerball. And that's how clear I need to be.

No effects, just 21 foot monster rock into my rack with the DTR-1000 and a modded TS-7 set to clean boost. Cabs are listed in my sig.

Settings:

Pre: 3.5

Low:6.5

Mid:4.3

High: 6

Resonance: 6.5

Presence: 6.5

Are you boosting the lead channel? If so, try boosting the rhythm channel with the crunch button in.

• Members

Are you boosting the lead channel? If so, try boosting the rhythm channel with the crunch button in.

Yeah, boosting the crunch channel is awesome but it's even less of an appropriate sound for my band. Nor does the clarity issue change.

• Members

oh yeah he is right are you using a tubescreamer type pedal for a boost? I assume so since your gain is at 3.5

And the fja clarity/bias mod is supposed to clear up the sound considerably.

Both of those cabs you have sound kinda cloudy as well. I own the marshal (yes its bright but not real defined when at band levels IMO)l and i've played through the blue voodoo cab. I say you need to sell both of those and get a mesa recto cab or an orange cab as they sound the best with 5150s

You might want to look into a regular 5150 also

edit:

Wait are you talking about that weird sort of sound between notes

on that head? I remember my 6505+ and 5150 II had a weird (i guess cloudy) sound between notes, is this what you are talking about?

• Members

Also if you not interested in trading, I'll get my buddy's 5150 II settings. He plays a 1960b w/ 75's and a Ibanez S Prestige with EVO's. I think It sounds great.

I think it has something to do with his guitar or some other part of his gear because they are not cloudy sounding amps.

• Members

Before you get rid of that amp you love so much (and you know you do) think about it a little more. One thing I can tell you is I have never heard a band play the music you guys play as tight as you play live. I think if you did just the bias mod alone you would love your amp a whole lot more. It makes a HUGE difference. Once I get my hands on a biasrite I will be biasing mine. I'll let you play it and see what you think.

• Members

Before you get rid of that amp you love so much (and you know you do) think about it a little more. One thing I can tell you is I have never heard a band play the music you guys play as tight as you play live. I think if you did just the bias mod alone you would love your amp a whole lot more. It makes a HUGE difference. Once I get my hands on a biasrite I will be biasing mine. I'll let you play it and see what you think.

Yep i didn't even think of that.....your amp isn't biased? uh oh, problem solved :thu:

• Members

2 quick things that may help. Try raising your mids to 7, it doesnt get too middy with this setting, but it adds that certain something :thu: . Also, try using an EQ in the loop. I use an EQ with the bottom end boosted slightly, and the mids cut a little. This little change makes the amp sound better for somethings. :thu:

• Members

Personally I find anything over 6 to be a little too honky for my tastes.

The cab suggestion is duly noted, i've been itching for a Hellatone loaded Avatar cab as well with thinking of replacing the back of my 1960 with a nice slab of birch.

I'm going to go with the trade from CaseyMAN though. I love the 5150 don't get me wrong, but if I miss it too much I can always pick up another one. Anyway, my soon to come Fender Prosonic head will help ease the pain as well. =)

• Members

Personally I find anything over 6 to be a little too honky for my tastes.

The cab suggestion is duly noted, i've been itching for a Hellatone loaded Avatar cab as well with thinking of replacing the back of my 1960 with a nice slab of birch.

I'm going to go with the trade from CaseyMAN though. I love the 5150 don't get me wrong, but if I miss it too much I can always pick up another one. Anyway, my soon to come Fender Prosonic head will help ease the pain as well. =)

Hey man, that sounds excellent. When I traded my recto for my Fireball I never looked back. The only issue you might have is the PB might be a bit louder but I don't really think by too much. I use mine through 2 1960's and it sounds great, might look into some V30's soon though. Hope you enjoy it, I love your band :phil:

• Members

I just got my 5150 recently and I have to agree that turning up the mids makes it sound so much better; I think it's a different frequency than the mids on most amps, as I don't think it makes it honkier, but fuller. But you've already decided, so :thu:. I nearly got a Fireball, but I'm loving the 5150 so far.

• Members

Hey man, that sounds excellent. When I traded my recto for my Fireball I never looked back. The only issue you might have is the PB might be a bit louder but I don't really think by too much. I use mine through 2 1960's and it sounds great, might look into some V30's soon though. Hope you enjoy it, I love your band :phil:

Do you ever mess around with your fireball and the sonic maximizer.

I could get like sweet tones for like 5 minutes, then I would stop. Then start playing again thinking this sounds like {censored} and repeat the process of messing around with it for 2 hours.

I then put it back in my bassists rack case and decided that I hated it.

• Members

Do you ever mess around with your fireball and the sonic maximizer.

I could get like sweet tones for like 5 minutes, then I would stop. Then start playing again thinking this sounds like {censored} and repeat the process of messing around with it for 2 hours.

I then put it back in my bassists rack case and decided that I hated it.

Nah, I vowed never to put my Sonic Maximizer in with my Fireball. I bought it on the recommendation of a friend who told me "This thing makes your amp sounds so good!" for my Triple Recto. At first I thought it was incredible, then I took it out of the loop and realized what I was missing. Don't want to try it now, but maybe someday when I mess around I'll toss it in.

Archived