SLEDGE

MuzikB

• Members

Nothing new really. It is a limited Waldorf engine inside a Studiologic shell.

I'm not concerned about the sound. Waldorf synths sound very good in my opinion.

Love the control surface. But I would say I don't like the design. It looks very Toy'ish.

Looks like a stretched toilet seat.

• Members

I really hope they change the color to Ocean Blue and angle the top panel a bit.

+1 : It is bumblebee-colored, but it reminds me more of a Fluke DMM than a toy; Fluke's have a reputation for ruggedness. I think the design is supposed to suggest ruggedness, but what do I know?

I don't care for the jacks on the side of the unit.

I like the general idea and the knobs. The info on Studiologic's web site says "32 Pots" so I assume they mean that the knobs are potentiometers and not rotary encoders.

• Members

IMG_1206_0_1327303576.jpg

I just didn't feel like there was enough talk about it.

I really hope they change the color to Ocean Blue and angle the top panel a bit.

Physical changes are probably too late.. Mold tooling is a significant investment and it seems that was not a mock up. Also in one vid he mentioned it was the colour of the plastic without paint.... I suspect they will sell it that colour in the first production run. They may already have molded these in the thousands...

The demo guy hinted if lots of people demand another colour they will do it...

I quite like it.

[video=youtube;e1IkdZIdCP8]

• Members

The demo guy hinted if lots of people demand another colour they will do it...

Hopefully they do one in black. It would actually look like a Prophet 600 if they did. The interface looks great... but yellow, ugh. Not my cup of tea.

Anyone know what synth the engine is actually based on? It mentions Waldorf, but there's a handful of Waldorfs out there. I'm curious if they'd have something like an "analog slop" feature for drifting the oscillators so you don't have to use up an LFO to loosen up the stiffness.

• Members

Hopefully they do one in black. It would actually look like a Prophet 600 if they did. The interface looks great... but yellow, ugh. Not my cup of tea.

Anyone know what synth the engine is actually based on? It mentions Waldorf, but there's a handful of Waldorfs out there. I'm curious if they'd have something like an "analog slop" feature for drifting the oscillators so you don't have to use up an LFO to loosen up the stiffness.

Not sure, but I recall the demo guy mentioned they worked on the effects to improve the sound and that seems to be where the ''it sounds phatter than a waldorf'' comes from if there is any truth in it....

• Members

I absolutely adore Waldorf PPG 3.V and this would be like having it in a gig board so I'm very interested. Too bad the design team wasn't taking in opinions or comments.

I think the price is supposed to be between $1000-$1300 I believe.

• Members

i thought this thing was pretty cool. the chunkiness of it definitely makes you want to _play_ the front panel.

at NAMM the wavetable engine wasn't working yet. i don't know why. it felt really good to touch and tweak though, and obviously sounded great.

it's WAY more interesting in that regard than ANY Waldorf synth. pots and big knobs win out over small knobs and endless rotaries any day of the week.

i won't replace my Blofeld with it, because i want more than one wavetable oscillator, but it could be a contender for replacing the JP-8000 in my live rig. ________maybe_______________

• Members

I haven't found my sweet spot on the wavetable synthesis. I played around with it on my Virus TI. Probably doing it wrong?

Are wavetables best for evolving pads or any ideas?:)

Most interesting Waldorf synth would be Stromberg, if no Stromberg, then it would be Q. :)

• Members

Not sure, but I recall the demo guy mentioned they worked on the effects to improve the sound and that seems to be where the ''it sounds phatter than a waldorf'' comes from if there is any truth in it....

Probably means I have to wait to download the manual. It really wouldn't be an effects feature. Phatter could just mean better bass frequencies and doesn't fix the problem from the oscillators sounding like stiff DCOs.

• Members

IMG_1206_0_1327303576.jpg

I just didn't feel like there was enough talk about it.

Spring-action panel: you push it in to lock it into its flat position when you're finished. You push it in again and it comes up:)

blue.jpg

• Members

Spring-action panel: you push it in to lock it into its flat position when you're finished. You push it in again and it comes up:)

blue.jpg

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Now make the panel lettering Gold Yellow and I think I'd give the ok for production. :thu:

Archived