OT: Is creatine hard on your stomach?

EpiPaul03

• Members

Its all bollocks. You have all been suckered in by the body building industry. Calories are calories. If you eat enough of them irrespective of where they come from and do the weights you will gain muscle bulk.

Advice: learn some physiology before you open your wallets.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Its all bollocks. You have all been suckered in by the body building industry. Calories are calories. If you eat enough of them irrespective of where they come from and do the weights you will gain muscle bulk.

There's merit in what this guy says. Some of the latest thinking is that it indeed IS all about the calories.

• Members

Advice: learn some physiology before you open your wallets.

It is, but if you dont eat your calories in the right macronutrient ratios you'll turn into a lard ass. Tons of muscle AND fat. And when you try to get rid of the fat, a lot of that muscle will go with it.

You'll generally gain a little chunk when you're trying to gain mass naturally - but when you see your abs starting to disappear its time to adjust your diet/up your cardio.

• Members

It is, but if you dont eat your calories in the right macronutrient ratios you'll turn into a lard ass. Tons of muscle AND fat. And when you try to get rid of the fat, a lot of that muscle will go with it.

You'll generally gain a little chunk when you're trying to gain mass naturally - but when you see your abs starting to disappear its time to adjust your diet/up your cardio.

Complete {censored}e. Macronutrients my ass. Industry propaganda and to admit it would be admitting you pay over the odds for a tin of protein and sugar which is really pancake mix.

• Members

First off, thanks for all the responses given. I definitely got some information that I was looking for.

As response to this, here are my, attributes, if you will:

17 3/4 years old

Height: 5'8

Weight: 135

Bench: 200 lbs

40 time: 4.7 seconds

Vertical: 31 inches

Squat: Hurts my back, I have form God himself can't cure lol

Usually as far as my routine goes, I go two days a week upper body, then two days legs that is a combination of plyometrics, squats, power-cleans, step-ups, and leg press. A lot of times I slack off on the leg part, I don't know why.

More specifically, my upper body usually consists of Bench (flat, incline and decline), dumbell press, shoulder press or militaries, pull-ups, curls, rows, some sort of tri exercise. Obviously I don't do all of these one day. About every two weeks I switch up the exercises a little -- still giving me the same ratio of biscep to triscep and chest to back ratio of exercises -- and every two weeks I also alternate reps and sets. Usually I'll switch between 4x6, 5x5, 2x10, 6x8, and every once and awhile I'll do pyramid sets on bench.

At 5'8" and 135, you're obviously not a big-boned guy. Your age is against you, too. If you broke your back for 4 or 5 years and did everything right, you MIGHT put on 20 pounds of real muscle. MIGHT. Is it worth it to you to weigh 155 after all that? Not everybody has what they need to be big and strong, and nature and genetics are against you. Those are some serious obstacles to overcome. What you need to do is cut back on what you're doing first of all. You're switching your routines around too much and not giving them enough time to work. Do squats, deadlifts, rows, benches, overhead press. That's all. Just use a barbell and nothing else, and keep your reps between 6 and 8 on your worksets. Do 4 or 5 sets for everything, and make two of those warmups. Squats and benches one day, rest a day or two and then deads, rows, overhead press, rest a day or two, and start over again. You may want to consider doing just one set of squats, but do 20 reps and put your ass on the ground each rep. Add a few pounds every time you do them and get those reps. And EAT. Forget supplements and slam down a bit extra of everything. Get as much sleep as you can. Try to train harder every time you work out, because to get yourself in shape you've got to get in shape. Forget what everybody else is doing at the gym. Practically all of them are doing it wrong, anyway. Shoot for 300/400/500 bench, squat, and deadlift. If you get there, you'll have your twenty pounds of muscle and maybe a bit more. If you want to look extraordinary, you've got to train extraordinarily hard. Make sure you're the hardest working guy or girl in the gym every time you're in there. Good luck.

• Members

im 20yrs old, 5'10 150lbs and ive had similar problems, but after tons of experimenting im overcoming them and gaining weight (i only want to gain like 20lbs, not be "huge"). anyway im taking creatine (5g daily) and optimal nutrition 100% whey, but I will be switching to a whey protein with a LOT more calories since weight is what i want.

the best advice i received was to simplify my workout (like savoldi) was saying. a guy i work with said if u wanna gain mass, pick one GOOD exercise per muscle group and go heavy on the weights. not 3 different benches, 3 different curls, none of that {censored}. so i do:

chest - incline press

shoulders - shoulder press

bi's - standup curl

tri's - pulldown

back - row

legs - leg press

and thats it. I mix them up occasionally and go 3 days a week. I do 2 sets of 10 to warm up, and 5 sets of 5or6 for working the muscles. I've noticed gains since I simplified and once I get on a higher calorie shake I think ill notice putting on weight faster

• Members

im 20yrs old, 5'10 150lbs and ive had similar problems, but after tons of experimenting im overcoming them and gaining weight (i only want to gain like 20lbs, not be "huge"). anyway im taking creatine (5g daily) and optimal nutrition 100% whey, but I will be switching to a whey protein with a LOT more calories since weight is what i want.

the best advice i received was to simplify my workout (like savoldi) was saying. a guy i work with said if u wanna gain mass, pick one GOOD exercise per muscle group and go heavy on the weights. not 3 different benches, 3 different curls, none of that {censored}. so i do:

chest - incline press

shoulders - shoulder press

bi's - standup curl

tri's - pulldown

back - row

legs - leg press

and thats it. I mix them up occasionally and go 3 days a week. I do 2 sets of 10 to warm up, and 5 sets of 5or6 for working the muscles. I've noticed gains since I simplified and once I get on a higher calorie shake I think ill notice putting on weight faster

Just eat pancake mix. Its cheap and does the same thing.

• Members

Creatine has just been proven by the FDA to cause liver and kidney damage along with heart problems. It's not nearly as safe as people thought it was. Plus,all you are doing is forcing water into your muscle tissue and not gaining strength...

• Members

I took creatine for a short period of time about 7 years ago. I did get stronger and a bit bigger, but the bloat and weird heart flutters I got made me stop quickly. Now with all the new research and info on it I would never take it again.

Best thing to do is just eat right, train, drink plenty of water and get lots of sleep. Going all natual is the best way to go.

• Members

Truer words were never spoken.

I used to use creatine, not anymore. I agree with cybil all the way. Im always telling people those 3 fundamental things and they never listen. You will never, ever gain a thing unless you eat more food than your body can use to repair itself after workouts. Theres only 2 ways to go if you want results. Steriods or eating right. Steriods still involve eating right as well lol. If you are going to {censored} your body up with all these supplement you might as well juice and get it over with.

• Members

I took creatine for a short period of time about 7 years ago. I did get stronger and a bit bigger, but the bloat and weird heart flutters I got made me stop quickly. Now with all the new research and info on it I would never take it again.

Best thing to do is just eat right, train, drink plenty of water and get lots of sleep. Going all natual is the best way to go.

I think that's the way I'm going to go. I think I might give some Whey another chance and get some higher quality stuff instead of GNC Brand. As for my age, it is probably working against me. My father said he grew pretty late so I'll probably follow the same course. He's 6'0 180, so I think I definitely have some room for more growing. I am going to try to focus more on core exercises and switch my routine less and see how that works out for me. I've heard kidney, liver, and hear problems from creatine and that is just not worth it. Also, I really was just thinking that if I were to gain a lot of weight, that would probably slow me down. I'm a pretty quick kid, so that should probably be my number one priority.

Thanks to all who replied and thanks to advance to anyone else that will reply!

• Members

I think it's a good idea to ask first, don't you? You're diagnosing the problem before you know what it might be. If he's not gaining weight, that's one thing. If he's not gaining muscle, that's another. His reps could be too low, as he claims he's gaining strength and no size. His routine might be bad, as in not enough barbell work on squats, deads, and benches. And it could be all of them. How can you advise him if you don't know what he's doing?

In the original post he said he was not gaining weight. That means not enough calories, period. You could cut out the lifting routine entirely, and if you were getting enough calories, you'd gain weight. Sure, it'd be mostly fat, but that's where the lifting comes in. I agree that he should be doing lots of squats, deads, and benches, but he could do those till the cows come home and if he doesn't start getting more calories he won't gain. It's really entirely that simple.

• Members

At 5'8" and 135, you're obviously not a big-boned guy. Your age is against you, too. If you broke your back for 4 or 5 years and did everything right, you MIGHT put on 20 pounds of real muscle. MIGHT. Is it worth it to you to weigh 155 after all that? Not everybody has what they need to be big and strong, and nature and genetics are against you.

I was 5'10", 125lbs at age 19, and less than two years later at age 21 I was 175lbs. The first 20lbs was practically immediate, within the first few months, because I was a gym newbie. Even then, I made a lot of mistakes in the first year or so that hampered my progress. The one piece of advice I followed like religion from the beginning was Eat Big, Get Big.

I have one word of advice for the threadstarter, and it doesn't involve creatine:

EAT.

• Members

I was 5'10", 125lbs at age 19, and less than two years later at age 21 I was 175lbs. The first 20lbs was practically immediate, within the first few months, because I was a gym newbie. Even then, I made a lot of mistakes in the first year or so that hampered my progress. The one piece of advice I followed like religion from the beginning was Eat Big, Get Big.

I have one word of advice for the threadstarter, and it doesn't involve creatine:

EAT.

You didn't only eat big. You trained big and slept big too. And the difference in growth potential between 17 and 19 can be pretty substantial. Conventional wisdom used to be that a guy was his strongest around the age of 35. In my own case, that proved to be true. I also tend to think if you train hard and heavy between 17 and 21, you may very well be able to thicken the bone structure you've got permanently. That means more of a platform for putting on muscle. I'd swear that's what happened to me, since I started lifting when I was almost 6 feet tall and 140 pounds. Took a while, but I was able to weigh 225 and still look pretty muscular. I weighed more than that as a powerlifter, but that wasn't all muscle.

• Members

Q: Who buys Creatine and thinks it works to benefit your body?

A: Dummies

Sorry Steve, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

I've used Creatine numerous times and when used correctly, it worked exactly as I had wanted/planned.

Using it correctly is the difficult part it seems for most people.

• Members

Sorry Steve, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

I've used Creatine numerous times and when used correctly, it worked exactly as I had wanted/planned.

Using it correctly is the difficult part it seems for most people.

Yeah you guys doubting it need to go to the bodybuilding.com forums and read the countless success stories, workout plant, etc.

5 years ago, I weighed 110 lbs. I weigh 165~170 now with around 13~15% BF. The first 3 years, I trained with zero suppliments, zero protein extras, nothing. Just a tuna sandwich on wheat bread after I got home from the gym. After those 3 years, I was only at 124lbs but lifting much more weight.

The last 2 years that I started taking creatine, I gained 20 lbs of nearly pure muscle per year. Protein/glutaime/creatine shake before working out and a quick meal with lots of protein after working out. My workout routine didn't change, my diet didn't change and the amount of time I spent in the gym didn't change.

The only thing that did change was my metabolism and it slowed way the hell down so I'm having to mix in a couple days of running a couple of miles to try at least keep my BF % where it is and hopefully lower it a bit more so I can have better definition.

There are a lot more facts and knowledable people over at the BB.com forums. I go there to get answers about working out and I don't go there to get answers about music gear :idea:

Archived