Anyone willing to help me converting sheet notes into midi file?

AnalogGuy

• Members

I can't read notes so the only way to learn piano songs is to use available midi files and with programs I can see them visually with virtual keyboard and listen note by note how it is played.

The only problem is that I have waited about 3 years and still no-one have ever created midi file from this song so now I need your help. Anyone using midi composing tools or simply rehearse the song and manually play it while recording the midi output?

Thanks in advance. The sheets are in attachment.

• Members

Have you ever looked at something like Finale NotePad? You could enter the notes as you see them then export it as a MIDI file.

Finale NotePad

Then you wouldn't have to depend on others. With that said, in a pretty short time you could learn to read the music you just posted. Then again I don't know your situation so that may not be an option.

• Members

Well, I was hoping someone would be eager to do such job. I don't have enough motivation to learn notes. My stuff is so sound centered that I don't think notes are necessary... not even valid since they are not telling me the way it should sound, only the notes itself.

I only know very basic stuff like the key letters.

• Members

Then why is MIDI data any more valid? Both systems are just communicating pitch, velocity, duration, etc.

And if notes are invalid then you don't need me to transcribe note data from the grand staff into note data for MIDI after all. I know I sent you a PM that I would jump on it next week when I have some extra time, but notes are notes no matter the format. They can't be invalid when you need to learn but valid when asking others to do the work for you. I'm sure you can easily express the song via your special soundscapes without the "invalid" notes.

Best of luck.

• Members

Well, I was hoping someone would be eager to do such job. I don't have enough motivation to learn notes.

Notating is a lot of work. Why would anybody be eager to do your work for you, when you are too lazy to do it yourself? Are you offering payment for their time?

• Members

Then why is MIDI data any more valid? Both systems are just communicating pitch, velocity, duration, etc.

And if notes are invalid then you don't need me to transcribe note data from the grand staff into note data for MIDI after all. You can express the song via your special soundscapes.

Best of luck.

Well, just trying to learn such complex song by ear is nearly impossible, I have tried hard long time ago.

I was not saying that I wouldn't need notes... of course I need them if I must learn songs like these, but I was simply meaning that my own world is so sound centered that for me it's even more difficult to comprehend music on paper than for someone else. I didn't mean to say something offending or depreciate the notating system.

• Members

I was not saying that I wouldn't need notes... of course I need them if I must learn songs like these

Actually, that is exactly what you said:

I don't think notes are necessary... not even valid since they are not telling me the way it should sound, only the notes itself.

You say you've spent three years on this quest to get it transcribed. It would take you three weeks to learn to read it. Maybe three months if you went slowly. It looks like an 'easy piano' version so it won't be a tough one.

• Members

Actually, that is exactly what you said:

I did mean only the way I do my own stuff... of course if I would need to learn anything beyond my own, I would need new things. Silly me, I always say things in so wrong ways and ruins something.

• Members

The song is on Youtube. I looked at the first page of the sheet music posted by the OP, and they match up. Therefore, you have the sheet music and the tune on mp3 (Youtube).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txk4USmTCls

As far as midi file: I'm not a fan, and I don't condone illegal activity. However, putting "Yanni end of august midi" into one of them high-falutin search thingies yields results that you may indeed find pleasing.:idea:

• Members

The song is on Youtube. I looked at the first page of the sheet music posted by the OP, and they match up. Therefore, you have the sheet music and the tune on mp3 (Youtube).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txk4USmTCls

As far as midi file: I'm not a fan, and I don't condone illegal activity. However, putting "Yanni end of august midi" into one of them high-falutin search thingies yields results that you may indeed find pleasing.
:idea:

Funny that I have been searhing for almost 2 years and still the results are zero. I wonder what "search-thingy" you used.

• Members

Funny that I have been searhing for almost 2 years and still the results are zero. I wonder what "search-thingy" you used.

Google listed a ton. Whether they are torrent sites or whatever, I have no clue. I don't use midi files often so I have no idea if it's something that's legit or not. I'm guessing you can also buy a version if it's a popular song.

• Members

I was simply meaning that my own world is so sound centered that for me it's even more difficult to comprehend music on paper than for someone else.

Could you explain? Keep in mind you are posting in a forum filled with people who adore and obsess over sound. Are you are indirectly telling us you are visually impaired somehow (my first assumption)? All you said is you are just an unmotivated & unique snowflake since you place a higher significance on sound. You've already learned to read and write sounds unless you have a program reading and transcribing your speech to text for forum posts.

And I agree Sibelius is an excellent one but NotePad costs $20.

• Members

Could you explain? Keep in mind you are posting in a forum filled with people who adore and obsess over sound. Are you are indirectly telling us you are visually impaired somehow (my first assumption)? All you said is you are just an unmotivated & unique snowflake since you place a higher significance on sound. You've already learned to read and write sounds unless you have a program reading and transcribing your speech to text for forum posts.

And I agree Sibelius is an excellent one but NotePad costs $20.

I am just very much obsessed with sounds... if it's not about sound, then I need to motivate myself with something else. I'm not visually impaired or something like that at all. I just can't motivate myself enough to start learning notes, even if I desperately want to learn some great songs.

It's the audio that I always work with. I mainly improvise music in live and record everything directly into my computer and then do some overdubbing if needed. I'm also working with midi stuff since I use a lot of hardware midi tools, but I never do any notation at all.

I constantly find myself in a situation where people are only caring about how "correct" (theoretically or structure-wise) the music is, and not about the feeling and expression which instead I keep as primary thing, that's one of the reasons I do not like notes because notes do not tell me the expression. I'm not saying this is the ultimate truth but that's how I feel.

• Members

It's the audio that I always work with. I mainly improvise music in live and record everything directly into my computer and then do some overdubbing if needed. I'm also working with midi stuff since I use a lot of hardware midi tools, but I never do any notation at all.

Well then, I'd suggest you don't worry about the written notes and put your effort into refining your ear and your musical memory.

• Members

Hmmm . . . I might suggest that, as a musician, you may want to learn more about those oval-shaped things with sticks sometimes attached to them . . . Uhhh . . . notes! . . . I think . . . They were good enough for the likes of Mozart and Beethoven.

• Members

Hmmm . . . I might suggest that, as a musician, you may want to learn more about those oval-shaped things with sticks sometimes attached to them . . . Uhhh . . . notes! . . . I think . . . They were good enough for the likes of Mozart and Beethoven.

Yes, because at the time it was the only media to save music. Gramophone was not yet invented. Thanks for your help anyway............

• Members

Performing a piece from sheet music requires a lot of skill. Dropping a needle onto a gramophone takes no skill or understanding of music.

Why do you want this done? What's MY motivation to do this? I'm feeling a level of motivation to do this that is surely even lower than yours. I started the piece, but my fingers started trying to strangle each other by about the 6th bar. They said they felt more motivated to play some Ray Charles instead.

• Members

• Members

Why do you want this done? What's MY motivation to do this? I'm feeling a level of motivation to do this that is surely even lower than yours. I started the piece, but my fingers started trying to strangle each other by about the 6th bar. They said they felt more motivated to play some Ray Charles instead.

Okay here the story goes:

I found this song originally from a screen saver, slideshow of CGI landscapes with lovely animated water ripple effect in each. I just loved the song that much that I had to record it into cd that I could listen it without computer. I did listen it a lot, over and over again and still didn't get enough of it. The amazing feelings just goes deep inside me and made me to want it even more. The problem was that there were no information given who composed the song or what was even the name, so for extremely long time I was stuck with this audio which I think was basically wav format downgraded into 11025Hz to have smaller size to be used with screensaver, so I began wondering how it would sound in original quality, but how on earth I could find this song from zillions of other piano songs? In that day I sweared that if I ever could find this mystical song, I would start practicing it.

Then I suddenly found this free program that said it would search information only by analyzing the audio spectrum and comparing it to the database. I was very skeptical, but gave it a try. Put music into mic input and started the program... a few seconds and a flash, time frozen... "Yanni - The end of August"... 0_0'

So that happened more than 3 years ago, and guess what... I still can't learn it. I could find other Yanni's songs in midi format so I could learn them all but... no End of august available... darn... -.-

Let's see when the hunger grows enough that i would start practicing notes then... I still love the song to the death, I want to play it and be totally within the feeling.

• Members

Doesn't anyone actually try searching for themselves before posting?

Seems like there are lots of possibilities

If link does not work I searched on

sheet music to midi

Wow, I never thought such programs would really exist... I never thought such scanning would work. Thanks for showing me this, I'll try.

EDIT: I tried some programs and they just won't work. Either they can't find enough material to even start scanning or there's notes and other stuff totally missing. They work only for some very simple stuff but this song is too complex and i can't even find better scanning of the sheet itself to make it any better for the program.

Again, no free lunch this time...

Archived