Anyone willing to help me converting sheet notes into midi file?

AnalogGuy

• Members

OK, I'll do it for you. Gimme a day, I have some free time tomorrow.

There's the thing. Transcribing music takes serious time. Even if the piece is easy and you're good at it.

Cygnus, you do classical, so you likely have experience (tons?) scoring those oval thingies with the sticks. I typically do the words with chords above, since those are the two things I need to know other than the tune and the groove which I'll learn by ear. Sometimes I'd like to have the notes--it makes it easier to play the tune without thinking and sometimes other players appreciate it. I have Logic and it has scoring ability but my gut sense is that it will take significant time to master that process and that the entry time per song (including words, chords and notes) would preclude me ever getting around to playing anything.

Your experience?

• Members

Cygnus, you do classical, so you likely have experience (tons?) scoring those oval thingies with the sticks.

I do it for a living, these days it's probably 60% playing and 40% writing, mainly for symphonies. I do a LOT. I don't do classical as there isn't much need, I mainly do pop, rock, etc. There is a big Gospel Symphony show each year that I do, I do summer pops, etc. Today I did a Kanye West song for quartet, a Disney song and worked on a fiddlin-type piece for orch, all commissions. Last year I did like 700K notes (Sibelius can count them in a folder), this year I'll do over a million.:eek:

I have Logic and it has scoring ability but my gut sense is that it will take significant time to master that process and that the entry time per song (including words, chords and notes) would preclude me ever getting around to playing anything.

I use Sibelius. The DAWs have some ability but not much, something like Sibelius First or whatever Finale has for entry level would be far better. No doubt, there's a steep learning curve but it's not terrible. It depends on how advanced the chart will be: symphony charts can have 25 staves and lots of key/time changes etc. They also have to be super-good since prose are reading them and rehearsal time is next to none, they have to be flawless.

The key is workflow. I've developed shorthand methods over the years. Copy/paste and "repeat" are invaluable to learn. One can find patterns, paste them, and transpose up a step or quickly alter notes. You can also play a midi keyboard and it works pretty well. Something like this Yanni chart I can knock out in 20 minutes tops, but I do it 30 hours a week so I have the workflow down.

• Members

The sheet music you posted is very simple. I'm certain it is from an 'easy piano' arrangement. Are you using your original copy of the sheet music or these scanned images?

The sheet music posted is exactly what Yanni plays, note for note, until the 3rd verse where it's orchestrated. The pedal makes it sound complex but it's note for note.

Wow, I never thought such programs would really exist... I never thought such scanning would work. Thanks for showing me this, I'll try.

They work only under certain conditions. The score has to be pristine. It can't do things like ties, and there are a million in this so it wouldn't work. I have photoscore and I scanned the first page. Nope.

Analog guy, I'm done. PM your email and I'll send you the midi file. You'll have to add pedal/sustain/ ritards/blah blah, but it's ready to go.

Archived