EBMM Petrucci wider or more narrow than an ibanez wizard?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

okay, the ernie ball website says the music man petrucci has a 15" radius... and I'm pretty sure most ibanez prestige wizard necks are only 12".... but I've heard multiple people say the neck on the petrucci is more narrow than the ibanez necks...

so, what's the deal? is it more narrow or is it wider?

wider would be better for me.... big hands.... and according to the specs, I'd assume it's pretty damn wide... 15"... but wondering why I've heard people calling it narrow....

help me out :wave:

• Members

the radius refers to the flatness or curvature of the fretboard. the higher the number, the flatter the board. The flatter the board, the easier it is to bend and do legato. Boards with lower radii make it easier to chord.

The petrucci neck has taller frets than the ibanez but the neck is a bit bigger. i find the petrucci neck to be more comfortable.

• Members

the radius refers to the flatness or curvature of the fretboard. the higher the number, the flatter the board. The flatter the board, the easier it is to bend and do legato. Boards with lower radii make it easier to chord.

The petrucci neck has taller frets than the ibanez but the neck is a bit bigger. i find the petrucci neck to be more comfortable.

ah okay, thanks. guess I had the wrong idea about what the radius is. well, the flatter the better as far as I'm concerned.

and thicker neck doesn't bother me, as my hands are plenty big enough. is it more narrow though? I mean, are the strings closer together? I am comfortable with the width of the ibanez neck but I actually wouldn't mind even wider than it, don't want it to be too much more narrow than it though.... but if it's just a tiny bit more narrow then it's not a big deal

• Members

ah okay, thanks. guess I had the wrong idea about what the radius is. well, the flatter the better as far as I'm concerned.

and thicker neck doesn't bother me, as my hands are plenty big enough. is it more narrow though? I mean, are the strings closer together? I am comfortable with the width of the ibanez neck but I actually wouldn't mind even wider than it, don't want it to be too much more narrow than it though.... but if it's just a tiny bit more narrow then it's not a big deal

the petrucci neck is shaped a bit differently and even tho it is a bit thicker it really feels quiet thin but study and comfy. as far as nut width and string spacing I don't remember. i think the petrucci would have strings spaced further apart since it has taller frets.

• Members

The JP neck is more narrow than a wizard (I have a JEM 7VWH and I think it has the wizard). But its also a little more chunky. I also have an axis, and that neck is more narrow than the JP,but still very confortable and unique. I think I like the neck carve and fretboard width of my JP6 over either the Ibanez or Axis.

• Members

The JP neck is more narrow than a wizard (I have a JEM 7VWH and I think it has the wizard). But its also a little more chunky. I also have an axis, and that neck is more narrow than the JP,but still very confortable and unique. I think I like the neck carve and fretboard width of my JP6 over either the Ibanez or Axis.

Yeah, I know the axis necks are extremely narrow... that's why I've always avoided them. I like a lot of spacing between the strings... my fingers are long, so wider necks/fretboards feel more comfortable and gives me more space.... so, it's kinda a turn off that the petrucci is more narrow than the ibanez... but I still really want to try one out...

does petrucci have small hands by any chance? :lol:

• Members

nah, I don't think the 7VHW's are Wizard.

I owned one, it's a VERY nice and wide neck...very comfy.

the wizards were paperthin, to say it least. (and I was going to scallop the fretboard on mine old Ibanez with wizard....WTF :o )

• Members

Narrower, rounder, and thicker than an Ibanez

+1, but the Petrucci's neck is only a tiny, tiny bit narrower than the Prestige neck. The Petrucci is 1 11/16" at the nut, the Prestige is 43mm which = 1.6942". 1 11/16" = 1.6875".

• 10 months later...
  • Members

okay, the ernie ball website says the music man petrucci has a 15" radius... and I'm pretty sure most ibanez prestige wizard necks are only 12".... but I've heard multiple people say the neck on the petrucci is more narrow than the ibanez necks...

so, what's the deal? is it more narrow or is it wider?

wider would be better for me.... big hands.... and according to the specs, I'd assume it's pretty damn wide... 15"... but wondering why I've heard people calling it narrow....

help me out
:wave:

Ibanez necks radii is actually closer to 17". 430 millimeters = 16.9291339 inches

Archived