Yamaha Motif XF8 opinions?

mnewb1

• Members

Still totally new to keys. I have been learning piano for a year now. I currently have a Kurzweil PC88. I absolutely love the feel of the keys on this board. I also have a kurzweil 2600 76 key synth. I play the stock sounds from this synth, but play them with the 88. The 2600 is a cool board (Pink Floyd Rick Wright, Jon Carin fan ) but it is a complicated board to work with.

I've been thinking about upgrading to a more modern workstation. It is not going to leave the house. I don't play out. I want to continue on the piano, but I need to learn more synth and organ eventually. I do not plan on any deep programming here.

• Members

The Motif XF is an updated version of the Motif XS - the primary improvement is (optional) flash modules for storing samples in addition to those in ROM. If you haven't already read it, the XS6 Pro Review could provide some helpful insight:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?1626963-Yamaha-Motif-XS6-Synth-Now-with-Conclusions-and-Motif-XF-quot-Coda

Do you have specific questions?

• Members

No just fishing for any opinions, people like it or not, think there are much better boards, or "you've only been playing a year...this is too much board for you".

The Motif XF is a "deep" board, and the learning curve can be steep - if you find the Kurzweil 2600 "complicated...to work with", I suspect you might think the same of the XF. Of course, you can just play the presets, but if you really want to take advantage of its capabilities, you're going to have to get your hands dirty.

• Members

My question would be, what is it you are looking for (in sounds, functionality, feel, interface, whatever) that you feel you don't have in the PC88/2600. If your interest is in enhancing the synth and organ aspects, I don't think a Yamaha Motif series would be my first choice (though it is a great board in general). A Korg Kronos would be stronger in those particular areas. Some other possibilities might be a Nord Stage 2 or a Roland Jupiter 80/50.

• Members

Well, if you DO end up playing just the presets, the Motif XF IMHO is the board to have :thu:

The presets, controls, arpeggios - everything is top notch. Once you spend a half an hour learning to navigate through the patches you're ready to go.

(My church has an XF8 - I found the action very good, it's almost exactly what my old Roland A-80 felt like)

However if you wanted a workstation that had good presets and a lot more resources for sound design, then I'd recommend the Korg Kronos... if you wanted the best built-in acoustic and electric piano sounds, the Kronos would also take the recommendation. But the Yamaha XF piano is brilliant as well.

Just my humble opinion :)

Archived