so, I think I want an open back cab

JoshuaLogan

• Members

the directionalness of closed back straight 4x12's just sucks. my friend has a nice 4x10 combo amp, and it always sounds good no matter where you are standing...

not so with a 4x12, no matter how nice it is. I've had an orange and a bogner... still have the bogner. love it overall, but hate the tone difference when standing off to the side. I'm starting to think the overall room-filling capabilities of open back cabs outweighs the slight loss of low end they have. plus, maybe it's just my ears playing tricks on me, but cleans always seem to sound much better through open back cabs...

I think later on when I have some more money I'm gonna pick up an open back bogner 2x12 to put on the 4x12. should be the best of both worlds and give a nice wall of sound :cool:

I know a lot of country/jazz/etc (basically anything that requires lots of clean playing) guys prefer open back combos.

just wondering, any of you rock/metal guys here like open back cabs?

• Members

I'm using an openback cab at the moment and the gain in spread for me outweights the loss in low end response. We play alot of places where we have to use our own PA and a guitar amp sounds like {censored} through our monitors, so having the open back gets the sound to my bandmates better. It fills rooms and smooths out the treble cone so yeah it's what i use.

• Members
the directionalness of closed back straight 4x12's just sucks. my friend has a nice 4x10 combo amp, and it always sounds good no matter where you are standing...

not so with a 4x12, no matter how nice it is. I've had an orange and a bogner... still have the bogner. love it overall, but hate the tone difference when standing off to the side. I'm starting to think the overall room-filling capabilities of open back cabs outweighs the slight loss of low end they have. plus, maybe it's just my ears playing tricks on me, but cleans always seem to sound much better through open back cabs...

I think later on when I have some more money I'm gonna pick up an open back bogner 2x12 to put on the 4x12. should be the best of both worlds and give a nice wall of sound
:cool:

I know a lot of country/jazz/etc (basically anything that requires lots of clean playing) guys prefer open back combos.

just wondering, any of you rock/metal guys here like open back cabs?

I much prefer closed back cabs BECAUSE they don't scatter the sound all over the place where it isn't wanted/needed. IMO, you can keep your stage mix a lot cleaner and sensible in volume. If you aren't hearing your cab, why not situate it so that the sound is aimed at your ears?

Archived