Something interesting about "And Justice For All" I was told today...

Random Hero

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Boosting mids and then taking some of them away is the correct way to use mids in recording. Its like evening everything out and adding more bass and highs without getting muddy or icepicky.

Quoted for troof.

It is my understanding that the best thing to do is record a good full frequency sound, then cut judiciously afterwards to get out of the way of the vocals and other instruments.

• Members

I also heard that they cut Jason's bass out because they thought he wasn't very good.

What, there's bass on that record????

James has admitted mixing the bass low (as in non-existent) because Jason was the new guy, and they were all pissed at him for not being Cliff. They wouldn't have hired him if he sucked, and remember Jason played in a signed band before Metallica.

I believe Fleming also said that there was so much bass content in the guitars that adding bass ate up too much headroom, and Jaymz0rz would allow him to re-EQ the guitars to allow for more bass.

• Members

What, there's bass on that record????

James has admitted mixing the bass low (as in non-existent) because Jason was the new guy, and they were all pissed at him for not being Cliff. They wouldn't have hired him if he sucked, and remember Jason played in a signed band before Metallica.

I believe Fleming also said that there was so much bass content in the guitars that adding bass ate up too much headroom, and Jaymz0rz would allow him to re-EQ the guitars to allow for more bass.

LOL, I'd punish him just for being Jason Newsted.

• Members

Jason was a dork fanboy that should have never joined Metallica.

He ruined them, its all his fault.

Wrong i thought Jason was a pretty good player and doesnt get the credit he desrves.

I think what ruined Metallica was when James decided other people could write songs. When he started letting everybody else have alot more say the band went down hill. Also you cant deny what Cliffs death had on the direction of their music. I dont think Cliff ever would have let them get as Pansy ass as they have gotten. These two things are what i believe killed metallica.

Oh lets also not forget Kirks hand in bringing down metallica or should i say foot GET OFF THE {censored}ING WAH PEDAL NOOB {censored}:mad:

• Members

I dont think Cliff ever would have let them get as Pansy ass as they have gotten.

I understand why people might say this type of thing, and I see it said a lot, but in my opinion, you have to remember that if Cliff was still alive now, he'd have gone through exactly what the band went through without him - within reason of course, I mean, we wouldn't have had the AJFA no bass debacle. He'd be just as rich as the rest of them, perhaps have gotten just as complacent, and here's the kicker for me, he wouldn't still be thinking like he did when he was 24 years old, much like James, Kirk and Lars aren't.

• Members

I understand why people might say this type of thing, and I see it said a lot, but in my opinion, you have to remember that if Cliff was still alive now, he'd have gone through exactly what the band went through without him - within reason of course, I mean, we wouldn't have had the AJFA no bass debacle. He'd be just as rich as the rest of them, perhaps have gotten just as complacent, and here's the kicker for me, he wouldn't still be thinking like he did when he was 24 years old, much like James, Kirk and Lars aren't.

I don't think so, if Cliff hadn't died I don't think AJFA would have been as, angry as it is. His death I think really fueled the anger and angst that was on that album. Though if Cliff had lived I think that The Black Album would have been alot better, just from his array of knowledge of harmony and such. Let alone the songs he would have contributed.

• Members

If Cliff hadn't died, i don't think the band would have ended up with as much mainstream success as they have. I think they would have stayed progressive with mega long songs rather than giving us enter sandman and other bits of radio candy.

I think they'd have been a huge band anyway, but they might've ended up being more musical than they are.

I wonder if they knew while they were recording AJFA that they'd be catching hell 20 years later. They should remix it and reissue it as a double-CD set with the original mix.

• Members

I'm not usually one for scooped tones myself, but I've really grown to like how AJFA sounds. It's cold, it's harsh, it's dry as a bone, but those sounds
work
for those songs. It's not a pleasant sounding album, but it's not supposed to be. The tones and production suit that music perfectly.

I totally agree. And its a hard album to play loud.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

On the gearslutz forum Flemming Rassmussen told that while making AJFA he had arguments with the band and that Jaymz-ARGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAH decided to make guitars a
bit
scooped and bass heavy, so, that was intentionally done by scooping and not some crazy abbra-cadabbra like your friend says

It's really funny when a producer, the guy responsible for the overall sound of the album, blames the band. All of Rasmussen's production sounds like AIFA; if I'm not mistaken, didn't he produce the older Overkill albums?

Archived