Novation on the loose! Beware microKORG

Casio Man

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
I note on the Daniel Fisher sound pack where he does the same patches as his GAIA patches. GAIA is more to my liking... smile.gif

http://uk.novationmusic.com/hardware-synths/ultranova

The UltraNOVA is obviously way deeper on complexity and effects... So adding external effects to GAIA (not so practical for patch memory) evens it up a bit for sonic flexibility...

In fact having listened enough now my initial interest is dying as it shares so much sonic character I gain so little...

Great new synth though (and the Ultra)
those demo sounds on sound cloud to my ear are awful....non musical dirge!facepalm.gif
more or less what i though when i had a play on a demo in a shop "bugstep".

i guess its capable of real musical sounds..it's a synth afterall..shame the presets are noises mostly.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
those demo sounds on sound cloud to my ear are awful....non musical dirge!facepalm.gif
more or less what i though when i had a play on a demo in a shop "bugstep".

i guess its capable of real musical sounds..it's a synth afterall..shame the presets are noises mostly.

Check it here, shows more promise:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/m7fJ7nU...560&height=343

• Members

''If powering the MiniNova via the USB connection you should be aware that
although the USB specification agreed by the IT industry states that a USB port
should be able to supply 0.5 A at 5 V, some computers - particularly laptops

• Members

Not interested at all - I will not buy any synth with "minikeys". Why not just make a desktop module (for less $$) without the freaking minikeys? I use my MicroKorg only with a real keyboard. Only use as a midied module - the keyboard is useless for people who actually "play" the keyboard, IMO!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead

View Post

This performance video seems rather misleading. Being monotimbral, they would have had to multi-track the hell out of this to do everything he's pretending to do. And if you look closely, it DOES have a genre knob. It even says Dubstep. Ugh! facepalm.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Re-Member

View Post

This performance video seems rather misleading. Being monotimbral, they would have had to multi-track the hell out of this to do everything he's pretending to do. And if you look closely, it DOES have a genre knob. It even says Dubstep. Ugh! facepalm.gif

That turned me off as well, and is reminiscent of the MicroKorg. Like I said, they're pandering to club kids.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jimtheswede

View Post

Not interested at all - I will not buy any synth with "minikeys". Why not just make a desktop module (for less $$) without the freaking minikeys? I use my MicroKorg only with a real keyboard. Only use as a midied module - the keyboard is useless for people who actually "play" the keyboard, IMO!

jim, i'm curious about the minikeys. can you never be able to get used to it ? was thinking microkey 37 is the perfect size for gigging hmmmm

• Members

I still adore my Supernova rack - its the sort of synth roland should have made years ago but never did.
In fact, I think it out Roland's Roland so much that it ending replacing my D550 and JD990 Expanded.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
JKSiv.png
LOL

Somebody needs to shop a picture of the perfect club kid synth. One minikey (labeled 'go'). One big dial with stops labeled "trance, dubstep," etc. Two smaller dials -- filter cutoff (labeled "dull" and "In your face!" at both extremes) and resonance (labeled "wummmm" and "whaaaaa" at the extremes). Throw in LOTS of different colored LEDs that blink in rhythm with the arpeggiator, and you're done.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by zzzxtreme View Post
jim, i'm curious about the minikeys. can you never be able to get used to it ? was thinking microkey 37 is the perfect size for gigging hmmmm
I don't use my MicroKorg for gigging - stays in my setup - controlled usually by a Kurz PC1se. For gigging I use a Nord Electro and the Kurz PCse1. BTW - I'm mostly playing blues, R&B, classic rock when at gigs. all other of my analog and misc. synths stay at home. I would never play the Microkorg at a gig! Just me.

Also have a Kurz PC3X that never leaves the house (too heavy and I love it too much much!) As well as other analog and assorted synths - but for me, a keyboard "player" should use an actual keyboard! Minikeys suck!!!!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Re-Member View Post
optional extra in novation colors:

abdee69556eee882b44cabac2e83514e.image.2

• Members

Its small, its cute, I want it! Just cover the genre names with something funny. Trance was mostly {censored}e by the time the original MicroKorg came out but that didn't stop it.

I like microkeys. A desktop module would be nice but I don't think they sell. and if one wants regular keys there's always the UltraNova.

37 keys and monotimbrality are unfortunate but those were carried over from the UltraNova.

UltraNova sounded better than any VA in its price range to me. I think I will be buying this.

The UI is so close to the original (and best) MicroKorg.

also club kids:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_Kids

• Members

Toy Ultranova with no audio interface. To me it would be more interesting if Novation had kept the audio interface in and left out the goofy mini keys. I suppose these things are selling though. I would guess that not every aspiring electronic music maker cares about playing a keyboard. Each to their own I suppose. These days my amateur goofiness is being made using mostly modular sequencers, an Orb, and an Octatrack/MD combo.

• Members

The current Korg minikeys are bigger than the original microKORG and not too terrible, but I suppose a lot of that depends on your playing style and abilities. I've been playing keys for over a decade, but have had zero formal training or lessons. To this day, I still need to look at the keyboard while playing and I can't pull off a proper synth solo or even a basic chord for the life of me. But the music I produce and perform with is heavily sequenced and no more complex than what Kraftwerk does. Almost all of their melodies are monophonic.

Archived