New 88 Key Purchase

The Piano Man

• Members

I am looking for a new board and require the following criteria;

88 hammer action keys

Internal Power Supply (absolutely essential)

Max weight of 20kg

4 audio outputs to route sounds/layers as required

Zoning capability with adjustable key range etc.

Sliders to control each zone

Set up naming and storage

Onboard eq knobs for hi, mid and low

Classic, compact design

What models do you recommend I check out?

Thanks all :thu:

• Members

I think it may be a little heavier than your weight limit, but I can tell you from experience that the Yamaha S80 fits your needs PERFECTLY, in fact it has (IMO anyways) a FANTASTIC 88 weighted key action, it has the internal power supply, all you need is a cable, it has the outputs you want, even moreif you get the expasnion board for outputs, it has the zoning capability, has 4 sliders to control each zone, can easily set up naming and storage )internaly and with a Smart Medai card) and for all (well the vast majoirty anyways) of the presets 3 of the 5 knobs are automatically set to EQ low mid and high, and it has (again, IMO) that classic and compact design, ESPECIALLY for an 88 weighted key board...it also has channel AT, a dedicated sustain pedal input, a dedicated breath controller input, two assingable FC inputs (one for EXP, one can be roouted throuth the MW, but either can be used for whatever you watn) a dedicated footswitch input, and much much more, see sig for how I've got it set up and what I use with it...

For me it really is the ultimate controller,I know of no other board that has all these features except the S90 and S90ES, which are more expensive....Also for more info, check out

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/synthesizers/s80/?mode=model

and check out the specs features and manuals...

• Members

What do you plan do use it for? Are you primarily looking for a digital piano with controller capabilities (hence the requirement for zoning and layering..)? Are you looking for a entry level workstation synth (i.e., MOX8 type ...) ... or are you looking for a higher end workstation synth? (i.e., Kronos?) Without a budget ... and a sense of what kind of noise you want to make with it ... it's a tough question to weigh in on.

A Kronos would get you everything you asked for ... but would come in a little heavy (23 kg for the 88 key).

Archived