looking for a keyboard

jason41987

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well.. whatever, im just going to get the NP-V60, i compared the features with the NP-V80 and i didnt see anything different that would be useful to me.. but i want... heck, im going to need the added effects offered because a lot of the music id like to play use synthesized sounds.. i like playing theme music, background music from games and stuff like that as well, and i think for me to really stick with this i have to be able to play the things that interest me.. all of things... and this will increase my chances of sticking with it

i know some people say to get something with a full weighted hammer action because its hard to learn that... that may be true, but it would be a lot easier to learn that later, than to learn it while im also trying to learn music, chords, and im also going to add reading sheet music to the things i intend to learn.. having these things under my belt when i do eventually get a piano will make the transition much easier, as ill only have to focus on the feel and responsiveness of a good digital piano at that point

so i think here.. instead of buying a really nice $500 digital piano.. i think ill get the most in terms of a learning experience and a better chance to succeed from a $330 NP-V60

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jason41987

View Post

anyone know the difference between the P85 and P95?

From extensive discussion on another forum, the differences in going from the P85 to P95 appear to be:

* better quality speakers

* 2 small metal plates on the bottom that allow it to sit properly on a wider variety of stands

* matte finish to the black keys

* jazz organ instead of 2nd pipe organ patch; choir instead of 2nd harpsichord patch

• Members

View Post

i compared the features with the NP-V80 and i didnt see anything different that would be useful to me.

Re-posted from a similar discussion elsewhere

Based on the downloaded manuals, brochures, and data lists:

The NP-V80 has more high quality voices: 8 "Sweet!", 5 "Cool!", and 3 "Live!"(compared to 5, 3, and zero in the NP-V60). Particularly notable for people looking at them from a piano perspective is the lack of the "Live! Grand Piano" in the 60. The 80 has 11 more voices overall (and 5 more Styles).

The NP-V80 has better speakers... 2-way with a tweeter, instead of just the single full-range speaker on the NP-V60.

The NP-V80 also has the arpeggiator, wood-looking side panels, the ability to save data to a USB flash drive, and it weighs 1.75 pounds more. It also comes with a footswitch, which has to be purchased separately on the 60.

But sure, not everyone will find these things so necessary... otherwise they wouldn't make both models!

View Post

i know some people say to get something with a full weighted hammer action because its hard to learn that...

I don't think it is any easier or harder to learn to play one than the other.

The issue is more that you can't really develop good piano technique on an unweighted board (or good organ technique on a weighted one). But starting to learn on anything is better than nothing!

• Members

i know the extra instruments dont mean much.. and between the v60 and v80 i doubt any useful ones were added, but between the NP-V60/80 and the digital pianos theres a lot of voices that arent there that i have an interest in playing.. clavichord is one for example

• Members

i did not get it yet.. its been about a week since i ordered it and they still hadnt shipped it.. so i decided to cancel the order.. it was the last straw.. i did find some music that requires 88 keys, i found the standard 10 sounds the keyboard has will cover nearly everything i intend to play, and a week without it being sent lead me to decide that maybe it just wasnt meant to happen, and i was about to place an order for a P-95, but one of the reviews said you have to use a yamaha adapter, a standard usb midi adapter wont work.. and im thinking wth?... theirs is $50, so im trying to verify that

• Members

i have my keyboard now.. and its on its way to me already... tried ordering the NV-80 through clearwater and after a week it hadnt been sent out, i figured it was backordered, so i canceled that, took it as a sign to get the 88 hey P95 instead, found kraft music website which listed them as being definitely in stock, so i ordered one there and it was shipped out today, i should have it this weekend, or monday at the latest

• Members

well, i received my yamaha P-95 yesteday, played around with it a bit.. im actually quite suprised as this feels NOTHING like a keyboard, it reminds me more of the old grand piano i used to practice on when i was in middle school... i really like the feel of this thing, and having those beautiful bass notes that a 76 key would have omitted, the effects all sound great, the grand piano actually sounds like a real piano.. and with the harpsichord, chorus, and vibra-phone sounds i cant really find an instrument this thing is missing that id really want... and clavichords sound enough like harpsichords for me to be happy

granted, i cant stand the sounds of the e-piano, or jazz organ, but the grand piano, pipe organ, choir, harpsichord, and vibraphone sound fantastic... and the jazz organ and e-piano sounds im sure sound legit, its just im not really a fan of the real instruments that make those sounds

so all in all, im glad i spent a little extra, and i would definitely recommended this thing... not too much of a pain in the rear to move around either, and it came with a sheet music stand im using to hold my android tablet... which will be loaded with sheet music :-D just as soon as i get used to reading sheet music for piano

and thats another thing im using my tablet for, i have a trainer on there thats teaching me how to spot a note on sheet music and associate it with a key on the piano so that, through practice with this tool, i can learn to play directly from sheet music

• Members

also, i forgot to mention.. i notice a lot of beginners put stickers on their keyboards so they know which keys are which... but another thing this training program is teaching me to do is to not see the keyboard as individual keys, but as groups of octaves so i can immediately find my place for a given song, currently working on learning beethoven "fur elise"

• Members

View Post

well, i received my yamaha P-95 yesteday, played around with it a bit.. im actually quite suprised as this feels NOTHING like a keyboard, it reminds me more of the old grand piano i used to practice on when i was in middle school... i really like the feel of this thing

Now you can see why everyone at the beginning of the thread was making such a big deal about getting a weighted action if you wanted to play piano on the thing!

Archived