drop tuning a standard scale guitar to A?!...

K.platyops

• Members

I picked up an SG off of Ebay. What I didn't know was that it was set up for B standard/drop A tuning. I was curious whether other guitarists use 24.75" scale guitars to downtune this low? Does anyone tune a standard scale guitar to drop A?

Should I keep it this way, or just save drop tuning to A for my 27" scale baritone? I'm still not that experienced with down tuning this severely, so any input would be helpful.

• Members

Or even better, don't play in ultra low death metal tuning and tune to something more musical, like, oh I don't know, E.

I tune to E or Eb, but this is just silly. tuning to E is more 'musical' than B or A?

Dminor is the saddest of all keys?

• Members
I picked up an SG off of Ebay. What I didn't know was that it was set up for B standard/drop A tuning. I was curious whether other guitarists use 24.75" scale guitars to downtune this low? Does anyone tune a standard scale guitar to drop A?

Should I keep it this way, or just save drop tuning to A for my 27" scale baritone? I'm still not that experienced with down tuning this severely, so any input would be helpful.

I've had my SG that low before. With thick enough strings, you can tune as low as you want. You don't need a baritone or seven string to detune. ;)

• Members

I feel that my strings are really really rubberband-like in C with Beefy Slinkies, but I don't really like 25.5" scale guitars because every guitar I've played since I started has been 24.75" and it wasn't by choice. It was just because I knew nothing of guitars until about a year or two ago. With a proper professional setup, though, I think I'd feel much better. I've played a friend's SG tuned to B and he got a professional setup and it felt amazing and he was only using D'Addario Jazz Lights.

Safest bet for A would be on a 25.5" scale. Anything lower and you would need a baritone. Everything just gets all cramped feeling after that.

Archived