Steve Vai 7 string

Stephen Colbert

• Members

K7s have mahogany bodies, which is really the only benifit. I find the lack of a tone knob disturbing and the logo is annoying.

For the best of both worlds, get a beat up universe and have Christopher Woods make/send you a mahogany body for it. That's what I would do if I ever wanted another 7 with a trem.

-W

• Members
The older Universes with the square block neck joint (not AANJ) are said to be the best. I like the new ones myself as well though.

They're probably the best "production" 7 string normally available, but there are a lot of nice ones. I like my j-custom RG7cst better then my old UV777BK. I like my carvin 747 best though.

-W

I think the fretboard is too wide on the Carvins, otherwise they are nice and very well built. But the fretboard is simply too wide for my taste. The coolest 7 strings I have ever played are the UVs. :cool: By this point, there are others that are very nice, but for a while, the UV was the only one if you wanted a high quality production 7 string.

I bought mine UV7BK at the height of Grungemania (ewwwww) in about 1993. Some punk kid dumped it off at a loss to a small town music store so he could get a Fender Strat and start playing Grunge. The UV was dirty on top, but clean underneath. It was horribly setup and it took me some time to get it nailed. No trendy people wanted to even be associated with metal in that dark time. Not being trendy, I didn't give a damn. :D Also, I was fresh off hearing Dream Theater Awake, which had some extended 7 string ass kicking sessions.

It definitely takes more strength, endurance and concentration to play a 7, but it's very rewarding. I have fairly large hands, but would be well served by alien hands like Vai's as far as playing 7 strings are concerned. When I eventually wear the frets down, I plan to get it refretted with slightly larger frets (I love jumbo frets).

I will say from years of playing 7s that the Dimarzio Blaze Custom is a lead players dream and great all around, while the Evo7 gets max chainsaw effect to the slight sacrifice of the lead sound. I think the stock Blaze II neck rules as is.

• Members

i have a 1527 and love the HELL outta it. if you wait till thursday, ill have a "new guitar day" thread up in here with a review for you all :)

thats when i 'get' it, its locked away till then, and ive played it for a couple hours, but its awesome.

the pups arent as good as the universe, but replace them for

Archived