Dimarzio D Activator pickup

JamesPeters

• Members

I tried one today in a new Ibanez guitar at a local music store. From what I can tell, it delivers exactly what Dimarzio promises. A very interesting pickup indeed. I ordered one today to replace the Dimarzio Super Distortion in one of my guitars. Once I get it, clips will be made with it of course.

• Members

It's not like them much, really. It's a lot more like an EMG for sound (the crunch, the clarity and smoothness) but with more natural dynamics.

I would like to try those out in my RG421. I`ve got a set of EVO`s ready to go in, but may try the D-activators instead.

Eric

• Members
I don't get it. Sorry to be OT,but the Xiphos is supposed to be Muhammad's sig, but it comes standard with D activators, but he uses EMG's. Sorry, but my spelling is horrid.

I personally don't give a flying rat's ass. :D

Seriously though, why not use these instead of EMGs. Close enough IMO, perhaps better. I think it's a great idea.

• Members
I personally don't give a flying rat's ass.
:D

Seriously though, why not use these instead of EMGs. Close enough IMO, perhaps better. I think it's a great idea.

Good enough for me? I think they would be from what I've heard so far. There is no reason to get pissy.

• Members
Good enough for me? I think they would be from what I've heard so far. There is no reason to get pissy.

Pissy? I don't know where you got that from. I was just joking around. You can be as picky as you want about that guitar, down to the number of scratches the original has in it that the new ones Ibanez sells doesn't, or whatever. :) It doesn't matter to me one iota.

• Members
It's not like them much, really. It's a lot more like an EMG for sound (the crunch, the clarity and smoothness) but with more natural dynamics.

Non active EMGs, that kicks. I'll have to try one. The non active HZ EMGs sure were a bust.

• Members

i've been kinda interested in the d-activators... i know they are suppose to be like a passive version of an active EMG, but do the d-activators still have that signature dimarzio sound? kinda hard to explain, but its that kinda saggy but compressed attack that i hear with them.

• Members

Nope, not to me anyway. Its attack sounds a lot more like an EMG 81...which is compressed in a different way. :)

I know what you mean too. The Super Distortion I have, I originally bought because of that warmer attack which had *just enough* bite. Now I'm less interested in that sort of effect.

• Members

Just remember if you try a guitar with one in it, you're still hearing the guitar itself...and Ibanez is in the habit of making set-neck guitars with loose low end these days (SZ guitars that I've tried locally are notorious for that, except the one I cherry picked from about 10 of them). The V that I tried had some of that looseness; the pickup compensated for it to a degree but it was still noticeable through the pickup, and you might consider it to be the pickup's fault.

• Members
Just remember if you try a guitar with one in it, you're still hearing the guitar itself...and Ibanez is in the habit of making set-neck guitars with loose low end these days (SZ guitars that I've tried locally are notorious for that, except the one I cherry picked from about 10 of them). The V that I tried had some of that looseness; the pickup compensated for it to a degree but it was still noticeable through the pickup, and you might consider it to be the pickup's fault.

Mines your bolt on Prestige Mahogany gibralter bridge variety......I should be ok..
1d94_12.JPG

• Members

You gotta say something about how it sounds, like if it's harsh or smooth and stuff. I heard it's not so fizzy as the other Dimarzios.

Oh and does it have more low end than the EMG81? The 81 lacks low end and low mids IMO.

• Members

Mines your bolt on Prestige Mahogany gibralter bridge variety......I should be ok..

If that guitar already sounds good to you, then it's a good sign. However, you don't know how the guitar will sound until you play it (that is, if you haven't played it). Some of you are going to realize I sound like a broken record when I say this again, but with the inherent inconsistencies in the sound of different cuts of wood, the only way you can know how the guitar sounds is to play it.

Archived