Dimarzio D Activator pickup

JamesPeters

• Members

Well if you already have a couple on the way...tell us what they sound like when you get them. :D Seriously though once I get mine I'm going to see if I can elaborate on the description I gave (since I'll be using it in guitars that I've tried well over a dozen other pickups in), and making clips.

• Members

Yep i ordered a PAF pro and a D Activator bridge from JCGuitars on eBay. Should be here next week.. I live overseas and JCG are the only ones who will ship overseas (a new Dimarzio humbucker here is $220)

• Members

well, i did like the xiphos i tried. i liked the adder i have in mine better than the d-activator, though i will agree that the dimarzio does sound really nice. the adder just felt more like an emg to me, while the dimarzio played like a dimarzio.

• Members

I'm interested in trying one since I used EMG 81's for at least 15 years, but I recently switched to WCR Iron Man pickups and don't know if I'll ever use anything else. It's the first pickup I've tried that has actually replaced the 81's for me. So the D-Activators would have to be pretty special, and very quiet for me to dig.

• Members

They're special, but I don't know if they're the kind of special you like. :) They're unique to my ears, and I'll only know if I like them enough to keep them in my guitars once I've given them a fair trial at home. As for quiet, they seem fine. I find most humbuckers are plenty quiet actually, and EMGs sometimes contribute to an amp's hiss level by comparison to good passives.

• Members

Cool, like I said, I want to try them. And yea, I was talking about the amp hiss, my WCR is so much more quiet than my 81's or even my Duncan Distortion loaded Mockingbird. And that WCR is waaaay hotter than the Duncan.

Archived