Rush to be inducted into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

pogo97

• Members

Famous band, hall of fame, what are the odds? Course we all know it's binnit. Coarse I don't know that goes w/out sane.
You might say they earned it. So grats to 'em.

Tull, KC, Accomplished Musicians X,Y,and Z fans, start a Hall of Accomplishment website. HOA will honor the continuing evolution of music and perf.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mate_stubb View Post
Huh?
Scuse me.

General premise: Not a fan, HOF is just a museum with bills, if you really GAF about overlooked bands (I don't) start a website called HOA (see above) and honor whoever qualifies.

Actually that has the potential of addressing the relevant history of rock - could be a university class as opposed to tourist attraction.

• Members

When they first made the hall i fame, I thought, how stupid, this isn't sports, this is music, a hall of fame is a terrible idea.

I couldn't believe that any rock stars took this seriously, and actually went to accept their inductance. It pretty much takes the coolness right out of rock and roll.

Now that they're running out of amazing rock bands to induct, they're already down to RUSH. HAHHA now that's funny. Who is left after Rush?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SoundwaveLove View Post
When they first made the hall i fame, I thought, how stupid, this isn't sports, this is music, a hall of fame is a terrible idea.

I couldn't believe that any rock stars took this seriously, and actually went to accept their inductance. It pretty much takes the coolness right out of rock and roll.

Now that they're running out of amazing rock bands to induct, they're already down to RUSH. HAHHA now that's funny. Who is left after Rush?
Yes
Deep Purple
Moody Blues
Kansas
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
The Guess Who
Jethro Tull
Judas Priest
Marc Bolan
Roxy Music
Mott The Hoople
The New York Dolls
King Crimson
Ten Years After
Scorpions
Uriah Heep
Humble Pie
Cliff Richard
Electric Light Orchestra
Jeff Lynne

And I've been drinking!!!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SoundwaveLove View Post
When they first made the hall i fame, I thought, how stupid, this isn't sports, this is music, a hall of fame is a terrible idea...
This is not about rewarding excellence, or even rewarding sales (Bobby Goldsboro just keeps on getting passed over....), it's about marketing. And if you're marketing something, you have to create an image and the best images for marketing are uncomplicated. So acts from outside the USA (and Britain, damn them) complicate the image. Homely stars complicate the image. Prog complicates the image (rock is hard hitting simple working class music, donchaknow).

There's a Country Music Hall of Fame, too. Same thing--create a myth and market the hell out if.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Synthaholic View Post
They should have been inducted years ago, way ahead of Madonna and the Beastie Boys and Red Hot Chili Peppers, and....

I'm not a huge fan but I recognize their stature in Rock, and their excellent musicianship. As my friend Del says, "if I wanted to listen to Rush, I'd take a set of vise grips to my cat's genitals".

The fact that Jethro Tull is not in just makes the whole place a joke.
+1 on 'should've been years ago', and +1 on Jethro Tull and number of other bands that should have been inducted. RRHOF is a joke, but I'm enjoying a laugh now at their expense now that my #1 band is finally recognized here...

-1 on the cat's genitals comment... apparently someone has a closed mind on what was only the first few albums out of a repertoire that spans almost 40 years.... FORTY YEARS!!!

Totally_jammin_out.gif

There are many, many albums, especially the synth era from Signals to Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, and Hold Your Fire where banshee Geddy actually is Mr. Melodious, and where a rock keyboardist can have a full time job in a rock band. Move over Numan's "Cars", and make room for PPGs, Oberheims, Moogs, Rolands, Mellotrons, and a host of others (except the DX7, thankfully)...

Just sayin...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan40 View Post
It would have been awesome if Rush snubbed the RRHOF. It is a joke, primarily based on record sales and who's friends with who.
From the interview:
Rolling Stone: Axl Rose stayed home last year, and the Sex Pistols refused to come, too.
Geddy Lee:We're nice Canadian boys. We wouldn't do that.
LOL

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by McHale View Post
Didn't Randy Newman also get in this year?

Can anyone name a SINGLE Rock and Roll song he did?
He wrote a lot of songs for other people, he wrote "Mama Told Me" which definitely rocks. "Leave your hat on" he wrote, all kinds of stuff.

• Members

Can anyone name a SINGLE Rock and Roll song he did? I wasn't aware he did any... or anyone liked him... or he was musically relevant at any point in his career.
His early songs were recorded by Gene Pitney, Jerry Butler, Jackie DeShannon, The O'Jays and Irma Thomas, among others. His work as a songwriter met with particular success in the UK: top 40 UK hits written by Newman included Cilla Black's "I've Been Wrong Before" (#17, 1965), Gene Pitney's "Nobody Needs Your Love" (#2, 1966) and "Just One Smile" (#8, 1966); and The Alan Price Set's "Simon Smith and His Amazing Dancing Bear" (#4, 1967). Besides "Simon Smith", Price featured seven Randy Newman songs on his 1967 A Price on His Head album.
His 1968 debut album, Randy Newman, was a critical success but never dented the Billboard Top 200. Many artists, including Alan Price, Van Dyke Parks, Dave Van Ronk, Judy Collins, the Everly Brothers, Claudine Longet, Dusty Springfield, Nina Simone, Lynn Anderson, Wilson Pickett, Pat Boone and Peggy Lee, covered his songs and "I Think It's Going to Rain Today" became an early standard.
In 1969, he did the orchestral arrangements for Peggy Lee's single "Is That All There Is?", as well as her album with the same title (which also contained her cover versions of two of his songs: "Love Story" and "Linda").[11]
In 1970, Harry Nilsson recorded an entire album of Newman compositions called Nilsson Sings Newman. That album was not a commercial success, but critics liked it and it paved the way for Newman's 1970 release, 12 Songs, a more stripped-down sound that showcased Newman's piano. Ry Cooder's slide guitar and contributions from Byrds members Gene Parsons and Clarence White helped to give the album a much rootsier feel. 12 Songs was also critically acclaimed (6th best album of the seventies according to Rolling Stone critic Robert Christgau), but again found little commercial success, though Three Dog Night made a huge hit of his "Mama Told Me Not to Come". The following year, Randy Newman Live cemented his cult following and became his first LP to appear in the Billboard charts, at #191. Newman also made his first foray into music for films at this time, writing and performing the theme song "He Gives Us All His Love" for Norman Lear's 1971 film Cold Turkey.
1972's Sail Away reached #163 on Billboard, with the title track making its way into the repertoire of Ray Charles and Linda Ronstadt. "You Can Leave Your Hat On" enigmatically touches on what it is men find important in relationships, and was covered by Three Dog Night, then Joe Cocker, and later by Keb Mo, Etta James, Tom Jones (whose version was later used for the final striptease to the 1997 film The Full Monty), and the Qu

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus64 View Post
He wrote a lot of songs for other people, he wrote "Mama Told Me" which definitely rocks. "Leave your hat on" he wrote, all kinds of stuff.
It is still a little weird, though... by that criteria I'd argue there's others more deserving to be in the hall, in some ways. Burt Bacharach for instance. Yes, he's often "easy listening" and not "rock and roll", but I would argue that his songwriting had far more impact than Randy overall.

Still, I don't think the nomination is undeserved. cool.gif

• Members

Can anyone name a SINGLE Rock and Roll song he did? I wasn't aware he did any... or anyone liked him... or he was musically relevant at any point in his career.
"I love L.A." and "Short People" come to mind immediately as hits.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by soundwave106 View Post
It is still a little weird, though...
There's a lot of weirdness: Miles Davis is in. A lot of the "influences" and other categories are odd, like Johnny Cash. I'm surprised they don't have Pavarotti.icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by koolkat

View Post

"I love L.A." and "Short People" come to mind immediately as hits.

Hits? Sure. Rock and Roll? MAYBE 'I Love L.A.' but 'Short People' was adult contemporary. Might as well put in Englebert Humperdink (which makes more sense than a LOT of the {censored}ty acts that already made it in).

Archived