JB humbucker users: What strings do you use?

thefyn

• Members

I have always usually used Slinky's and DAddario strings. Last time I restrung I went to GC and they were out of DAddario, so I got some Slinkys after playing DAddario for a good while.

The Slinkys are a little cleaner and brighter I think and they do seem to last a long time. They are a little slipperyer and dont seem to pick up as much crud over time.

I still think the DAddario are better for the brootalz/metal, going back to DAddario next restring.

• Members

I have no idea how people use DAddario strings. Those things are garbage. They lose their tone so fast and start to smell faster than anything. Also, I sweat very little so it's not me.

I use Ernie Ball Slinky 10-46. Great tone and feel.

funny i feel just the opposite. I won't use anything but Daddario. Longest lasting strings i have used. And they almost never breat. I think EBs are garbage.

• Members

Funny how opinions can sooooo different on the same thing.

I have been using JB's for years. I have used D'Addarios for a long time because I thought they gave good tone, and lasted a long time (for the record, I don't have any kind of alien-type battery acid coming from my pores, so I don't corrode strings quickly), but were always a little on the bright side. I am in the process of trying different strings right now, mainly to cut down on the brightness. Going to try EB Rock and Rolls, and DR Pure Blues. Already tried DM Blue Steels and Snake Oil Pure nickels, and didn't care for either of them, mainly for feel though, rather than tone.

• Members

And another +1 for body wood being more important than strings for shaping your tone. Play a Les Paul and then an SG both with the same pickups. The LP has a real congested and middy sound with a lot of low end and the SG is a lot clearer and more open but without as much chunk.

JB's have tons of mids, subdued highs, and few lows. LP's have tons of mids, subdued highs, and a lot of lows. So you'll end up with a decent amount of low end, tons of mids, and a dark or muffled high end. That's what I found with mine. Actually everything was dark in my LP so I sold it and I'm trying to scrape up cash for an SG.

That Platinum BC Rich has an agathis body, maple neck, and rosewood board. I'd imagine it'd be a good match, but it won't be very bright. An alternative would be to find a JB/C5 hybrid off the Seymour Duncan boards, that has a more open sound and more lows/high than a JB.

• Members
Regular Slinkys work great for me
:thu:

but thats useless tuning to B...

Yup.

However, I had a mahogany/maple necked Schecter tuned to B using the Regular Slinky 7 string set, minus the high E. This gave a wound 3rd string which was really nice. 13, 17, 26w 36w 46w 56w if I remember rightly on a 25.5 neck scale.

It also meant that I had spare 10 strings kicking around!

• Members

GHS Boomers .0095 - .44

Why would you put a JB in an LP ? JB's are for lighter wood guitars like V's SG's Strats, etc....

I'd put a Burstbucker in that LP if I were you

NOW he tells me. The LP is long gone. Its going into a Warlock BR Reyatch

• Members

Yes, the JB was supposedly designed for Jeff Beck who uses Strats, although the JB and Jazz are Seymour Duncan's favorite set of TELECASTER pickups.

Well, that's half true. JB stands for Jazz / Blues, not Jeff Beck.

the JB and Jazz are a great set. They came standard on all my RR-1's. They sound great on lighter wood guitars with less mass than an LP.

• Members

I have no idea how people use DAddario strings. Those things are garbage. They lose their tone so fast and start to smell faster than anything. Also, I sweat very little so it's not me.

I use Ernie Ball Slinky 10-46. Great tone and feel.

I have the same trouble with Slinkys, they barely last a week for me before they break or become dead.

I either use D'Addario or DR's. I wipe my strings down when I am done playing, it adds a long time to their life, not some much for the Slinkys though.

• Members
Why would you put a JB in an LP ? JB's are for lighter wood guitars like V's SG's Strats, etc....

I'd put a Burstbucker in that LP if I were you

I took the Burstbucker out of my LP Standard and put a JB in... :p

I think it sounds killer. I don't have any tone balance issues at all, plenty of high end, great midrange, and one hell of a thump on the bottom.

Strings wise, I now use an EB Custom Gauge, 11-52's, tuned Eb. Before that, I played Everly X-Rockers, 11-56's, tuned to C# standard. The JB sounded killer in all tunings.

Archived