writing synth articles or blogs?

wwwjd

• Members

Any of you writers?  Ever write article or blogs about synths and keyboards?  Looking for advice as I may be doing some in the near future.  Also might be seeking others interested in writing.  Post up or PM me

• Members

Metrosonus runs a blog, he could tell you more i'm sure. if you're writing full articles, SOS would be the style i would emulate. as for Blog posts, that i have less experience with. a few blogs i visit produce a lot of original content, usually patch notes and so on - but many are 'aggregate' blogs, which is important too. there are many types of synth blog.

• Members

The 'zine is an extension of our combined 60 years enjoyment and experience of mostly syntheizers, but also other various keyboards, effects, studio engineering, music business, repairing etc. - just lots of synthy fun.  Based on the chief editor's interests, knobs will be the primary direction, but include many other facets related.

Interested in writing, or just curious about the direction?

• Members

I have blogged occaisionally about music related stuff I am messin' with on my blog http://branchonmaybe.wordpress.com/ It's not a music blog, mostly just random stuff that pops into my head but I have blogged about issues (and fixes) for the Lucina as well as a rack system a built a while ago. Loads of other crap on there too. Basically I just write about stuff that hapens to me or around me or in the world and my thoughts on it. Not sure I'd say I have a 'style' as such and I write for my own amusment, not really to please anyone else. If someone finds it useful, amusing or just plain crap well, I don't really care!

I also have a slightly more professional blog where I write about work related stuff and I've written a few work articles in the past, mainly technical stuff.

Writing is like playing, you gotta practice and develop your own style. I also think you've got to add value. Just regurgitating what everyone else has written is pointless in my opinion, what you might call the 'facebook syndrome'. One person creates something unique and three million people share it. Amusing yes, great for the original poster but everyone else really adds little or no value to the 'story', they are just consumer/carriers, not publishers. Some of my blog above is my thoughts on existing stuff, some is just me repeating stuff I find interesting etc but some is actually original.

I think there's also a significant difference between blogging and writing. Blog entries tend to be shorter, self contained posts. You don't want it to be too long, short(ish), simple and to the point works best I think in these times when A.D.D. is the rule rather than the norm thanks to texting and twitter. If I am reading an article though I expect it to be more in depth and so longer is not an issue. So as a writer you can spend more time on the subject but again, stay on topic. Decide what you want to write about, what you want to say and most importantly, why a reader will want to know that.

Finally since you are your own editor (at least if blogging), proof read, proof read, print it off, proof read it again, then do it again and again until it is right. Then ask yourself, does it make sense? Then do all that again.

Ultimately it comes down to this. Are you doing this for fun or for profit. Same as a band, you either do it for fun and a few bucks/beers or you do it to make a living or somewhere in between. There's a world of difference between the two and what you achieve will depend on how you approach it.

Anyway, that's my opinion on the subject, that's what works for me. Your mileage may vary.

• Members

The 'zine is an extension of our combined 60 years enjoyment and experience of mostly syntheizers, but also other various keyboards, effects, studio engineering, music business, repairing etc. - just lots of synthy fun.  Based on the chief editor's interests, knobs will be the primary direction, but include many other facets related.

Interested in writing, or just curious about the direction?

Have any info on the Kurzweil PC3?

• Members

Thanks!  I will be getting back to you.   Looks like he wants to release the first copy or a mock up to attract writers, ads etc, so that might come first.  But I will keep you in mind and contact you when I learn more.

Archived