Amps: Fender vs. Crate

Guitin Better

• Members

Given that I have limited funds, would I be better served by a Fender or Crate USED amp? It seems that for my money (about $150) I can get a 65 Watt Fender Princeton series 1X12 or a Crate 120 Watt 2X12.

I would use the amp mostly for band rehearsals but also for practicing at home.

• Members

Thanks for the helpful tip but I'm not going to be able to justify any more cash than that with my wife within the forseeable future.

Anyone else have a thought?

My current amp is a Fender Frontman 25R. When I got it I thought it was awesome, and it wasn't too bad for practicing at home. It has more volume than I need for that and I use a DE pedal to get the sounds I want. I really just need an amp with a good clean channel and enough umph to cut through the mix at rehearsal.

• Members

Thanks for the helpful tip but I'm not going to be able to justify any more cash than that with my wife within the forseeable future.

Anyone else have a thought?

My current amp is a Fender Frontman 25R. When I got it I thought it was awesome, and it wasn't too bad for practicing at home. It has more volume than I need for that and I use a DE pedal to get the sounds I want. I really just need an amp with a good clean channel and enough umph to cut through the mix at rehearsal.

i don't know if the 25R has a line out but you're best off just getting an extension cab and hope that the 4 speakers can push out more air than the combo.

If you're the only guitarist in the band a crate 2x12 might cut it, if you're playing with someone else unless they have the same thing you won't cut through the mix at all. Take that from personal experience, I used to own a Crate GX212 and put it up against a Mesa Single Rectifier half stack.

• Members

I can tell you that the 2x12 will probably give you more clean headroom and volume. You can use pedals to get your sound. I once had a Fender Sidekick 65 watt 1x12 solid state amp and it was no where near the advertised 65 watts. It was barely loud enough to be heard over the drummer on the clean channel. The gain channel was loud enough but I wasn't crazy about the tone. On the other hand, I know a guy who has a 2x12 120 watt Crate combo and while the distortion on it sounds like arse, it has a passable clean channel when combined with a decent OD, sounds good.

• Members

Thanks for the helpful input!

If I got with, say, a 120 Watt Crate combo with a line out, will that have enough power to drive an external cab if eventually go that route or will a separate head be required? [or is this a really stupid question :-)]

• Members

I've got a Princeton 1x12 at home. $150.00 sounds a little high, but not outrageous.

Pros:

Reasonably loud. Certainly enough for small clubs and what not.

Pretty good clean, though it loses clarity as you crank it up.

Very reliable. I've had mine since 1996, and it hasn't so much as had a knob break.

Takes pedals well.

Cons:

{censored}ty distortion.

Volume pot is linear (which means you get ~50% of the max volume before you hit 1 and 90% by the time you get to 3).

{censored}ty distortion.

You won't impress anyone with it. Ever.

{censored}ty distortion.

All things considered, you could do worse. However, if you can find a way to put together another couple hundred, you could do much, much better.

• Members

Only if it has an external speaker jack. However to be honest, you probably don't ever need to worry about it. A 2x12 will always be loud enough for most practical situations. While it may not be as full sounding in a subtle way, for all intensive purposes it will be more than sufficient.

• Members
new vox ad15 for $189

just get all your wife's shoes she has bought since the last time you bought any gear. add up the cost. bring this to her attention.

Unfortunately my wife doesn't have any expensive habits that I can hold against her . . . freakin' bitch :eek:

Tell me more about Vox. I listened to a low end Vox amp a while back when I bought the Fender Frontman 25R but thought the Vox sound was cheesy. Are the midcost amps better sounding?

Archived