How do YOU mic your cabs?

Pr3Va1L

• Members

Discuss.

I use isolation headphones and move the mic around until I got the tone I'm looking for. It's the best way I've found to consistently get good results (while not consistent results, always get good tone).

It can be time consuming but once you've found the sweet spot, it's REALLY nice!

• Members

exactly the same, just use headphones and move my sm57 around untill i find a balanced sound as full sounding as i can, and then i find a tone on my amp to suit the mic.. sm57's seem to pick up alot of harshness which i can't hear in real so i tend to turn the treble down alot more and work with the amp once the mic position is good

• Members

SM57 in front of the grill, move it until it sounds good.

Great tone, an SM57, and good positioning is all you need to capture a guitar on record. One of these is hard to do - you can pick which one.

The SM57?

Seriously, IMO a well mic'ed/recorded bad tone will sound *much* better than a poorly mic'ed good tone!

• Members

The SM57?

Seriously, IMO a well mic'ed/recorded bad tone will sound *much* better than a poorly mic'ed good tone!

Yes the SM57 - the same mic that 75% of producers have used on guitar cabs in the past 50 years.

If you can't make the SM57 work for you, you need:

1. A better preamp

2. Better positioning

and/or 3. Better tone

FWIW, it's harder to have a poorly mic'd good tone than a well mic'd bad tone - usually, good tone translates to tape really well, regardless of mic position.

• Members

I prefer using two SM57's. One pointing dead centre on a cone and another off axis on another. Making sure they're in phase with one another. It gives you a total good mix of tones which you can mess around with until you find something suitable.

• Members

I prefer using two SM57's. One pointing dead centre on a cone and another off axis on another. Making sure they're in phase with one another. It gives you a total good mix of tones which you can mess around with until you find something suitable.

"nordstrom mics"

Archived