Guitar amp as PA ??

Guitin Better

• Members

Mostly I'm interested in guitar and vocals . . . so I guess the question is would vocals sound okay?

No. Guitar speakers have a limited frequency response and usually a pronounced mid-range hump. PA speakers should be flat and have a wider frequency response.

• Members

Excellent info!! Can the mid-range hump be effectively compensated out by tweaking the mixer? It probably wouldn't be great but may be workable . . . ??

It sounds like you're going to do it anyway, so what good does our opinion have?

That being said, the mid range hump can be managed to some degree, but it'll still sound muffled and pretty bad.

• Members

No. Guitar speakers have a limited frequency response and usually a pronounced mid-range hump. PA speakers should be flat and have a wider frequency response.

. . . okay, so if I used the amp to drive a pair of external speakers, the problem would be avoided? i.e. the issue is with the speakers, not the amp?

This is kind of irrelevant because I'm not going to buy speakers anytime soon . . . I'm just curious now :)

• Members

. . . okay, so if I used the amp to drive a pair of external speakers, the problem would be avoided? i.e. the issue is with the speakers, not the amp?

This is kind of irrelevant because I'm not going to buy speakers anytime soon . . . I'm just curious now
:)

Real PA speakers would certainly help a lot. How good it would sound would depend a lot on the amp itself and how much color it adds too.

• Members

if you're coming out of the mixer, where are you going to plug in on the amp???

You may be able to run it back into the power amp, or maybe an effects loop, but you don't want to run it back into the front end. impedances will be all wrong, as well as the levels..................

• Members

The main problem would be the speakers. You could definitely use your guitar amp to drive full-range speakers and it would sound just fine. The one hiccough you might run into is having enough power to drive full-range speakers, but if it's a 100w solid state amp or something, you should be fine.

Archived