Thinking about getting a Yamaha MM6...

erok123

• Members

I agree with Cygnus64 in that the Power Grand Piano on the MM6 is actually pretty good. I think there's an EP and organ or two that aren't that bad, a useable string patch or two; "Inda Night" synth lead patch is kind of cool (still one of my favorites on the MOX6).

I don't think this board is that bad of value, especially with the recent price drop. Like someone already mentioned though, it likely depends on how you want to use this board.

• Members

Does the XW-P1 have some kind of Blow Job feature that I'm not aware of?
:lol:
Christ dude, are you saying you don't care which one sounds better? That might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on the internet, evar.

Err, good stuff? I don't care if it can fly a space shuttle, do my taxes and wipe my ass with daisies.
:lol:
It could be made of pure gold wrapped around Kryponite, with keys that soften your hands while you do the dishes. The ONLY thing that matters with a musical instrument is SOUND. Everything else is negotiable.

This is going in to strange directions...

Isn't it at all clear to you, that because I am talking about a musical instrument, my recommendation MUST mean teh sounds? And in this case also other musical tools? Lets break it into small bits, so that you blow job boys can understand it easily.

I recommend XW-P1 because of following music making related aspects, especially over MM6:

-Organ modelling, with 9 dedicated sliders, percussion control, key click and rotary speaker

-Actual synthesizer

-Programming your own sounds

-Hex Layer sounds really powerful and also fun to use

-13-track 16 step sequencer actually is like a musical blow job and can control other instruments as well, thus XW-P1 is quite usable musical tool even when sounds become "obsolete". Great for real time jamming, inspiration power plant and song writing.

-Polyphony 64(MM6 might start to cough on piano alone)

-A lot of good sample sounds, for example excellent triple strike stereo piano sound from PX-320

-Audio in for external sound mangling

-practically everything, and its still cheaper

Keys are {censored}, but so are MM6's.

For those rest of the things you were asking for, I recommend a wife.

Because there was no clarification which aspects were the priority, I wouldn't recommend an unusually old cheapo product, even IF it has some slight and possibly very marginal advantage for a keyboardist. XW-P1 is well catered for the keyboardists main use cases.

• Members

Isn't it at all clear to you, that because I am talking about a musical instrument, my recommendation MUST mean teh sounds?

Honestly? No. Your overzealousness and your general attitude makes it pretty much impossible to get any sort of objective opinion. Even your screen name, err, Casioman, makes it pretty hard to judge. You make observations like "that's insulting", and everything is so over the top and biased that it's hard to take you seriously. Hey, you asked.

The mm6 owners in this thread have been pretty helpful to the OP. They have explained it's strengths and weaknesses. All you've done is try to hock another product that frankly, the OP didn't ask about. You don't own an mm6, and I'd bet money that you've never played one. What do you want me to say?

Since you keep pushing the issue: I've not seen the new Casio. The sound clips (and there are lots) on Youtube are anywhere from good to terrible. In particular, the acoustic sounds are basically unusable. 64-polyphony of unusable sounds aren't gonna help out much.:lol: As I said I haven't seen one live yet, and I'll reserve judgement until I play one. That said, the demos are out there and I for one am disappointed so far, given all the hype around this thing.

Here's a link to some sounds and reviews. As you'll see, not everyone is as enthralled with this unit as you are as they are very mixed: http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2411129/1/Casio_XW_P1_My_Test

• Members

No, it is not the piano sound from the PX-320, though it is similarly triple-strike. Have you actually heard/played it?

I have not played XW-P1 personally yet, but I have played different PX's, and XW-P1's piano demos do have similar character. Our good man Mike Martin also said the pianos are derived from that series, although he also said, that they are not identical.

Quote:

"It is derived from Privia, so it is similar (although not identical) to what you'd find in a previous generation PX-120 or PX-320"

-Mike Martin

• Members

LIMITED MIDI. I can't remember it does like 3 channels or something.

Not correct. Multimbral, 16 channels, you must send MSB, LSB and Program Change info from the external software, hardware or sequencer to the MM to play back on all 16 channels.

Manual, page 106 and 109:

Tone Generator block Tone Generator AWM2

Polyphony 32 notes

Multi Timbral Capacity 16 parts.

You cannot change the Midi transmit Channel on the MM itself, this is set to Ch1.

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/keyboards/synthesizers/mm/mm6/764/3438/?current_page_id=2&sort=best&type=

• 1 year later...
  • Members

If you can spare the extra money, I'd go with the Yamaha MX series over the MM. I recently got an MX61 and I like it quite a bit. Like the MM6, it's basically a preset machine, but a lot of the presets are pretty good.

• Members

I posted about owning the MM6 above... then someone mentioned the XW-P1.  I own one and while neither has the piano sounds of many $1k+ products, the XW-1 will allow you to MUCH more than the MM6... layering, splits, program arps sequences and phrases...expanded tone layers of hex mode, solo synth and drawbar organ... for the money, it's great (you're welcome Mike Martin)...just don't expect the sounds of a high-end synth.

Archived