What do you think of the privia px-5s as a stage piano?

• Members

I need a new lower unit, 88, pianos, EPs, organs Clavs and strings.  I can't find one of these nearby to try out. Am leaning toward a MOX8, sort of liked the Krome, but the short keys creeped me out.

The youtube versions of the CAsio unit sound ok, seems to have most of what I need.

HAs anybody played it enough to have an opinion? Anybody gigged with one??

• Members

Eventually I'll need to replace my Ensoniq MR76, and those are the two top contenders, to sit beneath my NE2.

The Casio would win except that it doesn't have mono mode for lead synths.

I actually ordered an SP-5S at Guitar Center, planning to buy both, take them home for a weekend, and return the loser.  The local GC didn't have an SP-5S, but they pulled one from another store.  However, unrelated circumstances dictated that I have to postpone my purchase so I "returned" it rather than picking it up.  That was a nice way for the local GC to get one in stock, though.  Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

One virtue to both of these is that they both fit the rigid foam case for my MR76.  That's a 15-lb case that's worked great since 1997, and either unit will lighten my load considerably.  Of course, with the Casio it'll be half empty. :-)

God I love modern technology.

• Members

AnotherScott wrote:

... the keybed feels a lot better...

Shhh, don't let Wayne hear you say that.  Good thing he's on the other forum!

("Keybed" is the piano technician's term for the block of wood that the action sits on, in a piano.  "Action" is the term for the part with they keys & hammers & wippens & c.)

Archived