STUDIOLOGIC SLEDGE

afr

• Members

I think it will appeal to someone thinking of buying a GAIA as a starter synth who wants more keys and aftertouch.... IIRC they said the controls can send midi so it may also be an good controller synth

I am still a little surprised by the limits day one, but I guess it was a cost/complexity control to allow for a fully hands on synth...

Shame they did not add a few more bits, but still a fun interface...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by liliththekitten

View Post

I would buy a Q then!

I was thinking the same thing. I bought my Q for a lot less than this thing costs ($1,000), and the Q is to my eyes and ears a much better synth. I originally thought the Sledge might sell for around $1000-$1100, but at $1600 you're getting up into analog polysynth territory.

While we're on the subject, Waldorf really needs to update and reissue the Q. Or they could develop and release the Stromberg, which I think would sell really well if they did it right.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I was listening as usual to the Sonic State weekly pod cast and Nick had a Sledge in for review...

Unlike the unfortunate Roland encounters I think it will be a good review as it is his kind of synth in the layout sense, so he is busy building patches and having fun by the looks...

Comments so far:

It is not very bassy

It has a digital sound but not in a bad way

It can go to very high and inaudible notes

The filter knob for filter sweep is not best placed (top right) making it difficult to play and move

He was trying to figure out any hidden parameters as it was quite light in the synth tweaks department

To my ears it sounded quite good, he seemed to get a powerful bass out of it so I guess he means the character of the sound rather than the dynamics of the low end...

Looking for to his full review, should be more along the lines of his better stuff...!

wave.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zoink

View Post

While we're on the subject, Waldorf really needs to update and reissue the Q. Or they could develop and release the Stromberg, which I think would sell really well if they did it right.

Yeah, I'd actually be happy to PAY them for just a software update. Give us a few more filters (beginning with the Blofeld's lowpass filters) and some bug fixes and I'll be a very happy camper. Add just a few wavetables to that and I probably won't be leaving the house for a while.

• Members

I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the review on the sonicstate - sledge synth

did't hear enough patches to get excited by it...no basses, strings leads etc...seems rather ambient in it's capabilities.

no ring mod or unison i think also....

i do like the hands on contnrols very gaia like.

need to hear more patches to get a better feel for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Members

In my opinion, since the price of used gear is still something to compare it to and something that competes with it, you'd be way ahead to get a used Virus on Ebay.....I was also surprised to see that even though you have both a modulation wheel and aftertouch, they have to be programmed to do the exactly the same thing at the same time.....what kinda crap is that? Why have 2 controllers and then defeat them with a screw-up like that?

Also, any synth made now should have dedicated octave up & down buttons since any MIDI synth could be used as a controller.....ESPECIALLY when it only has 61 keys....

Sound-wise, the Virus stomps the crap out of it also....listen to Virus demos on YouTube and listen to that on YouTube....

• Members
Voice upgrade from 8 voices to 16, via OS 1.4

Sample play back via OS 2.0

Well, {censored}! And Sledge is back in the equation! It's so hard to decide what to get. If only it also had a step sequencer.

Edit:

Damn, it's only 799€ anymore!

Have I missed anything else. How comparable it was with Blofeld again?

Ok, after refreshing memory a bit; seems to be quite different engine altogether. Feature wise Sledge seems quite stripped compared to Blofeld, but what about sound. Any comparison demos?

ehh. Now I remember why I had to scratch it off my list;

monotimbral. Any hope for couple timbres via update?

• Members
In my opinion, since the price of used gear is still something to compare it to and something that competes with it, you'd be way ahead to get a used Virus on Ebay.....I was also surprised to see that even though you have both a modulation wheel and aftertouch, they have to be programmed to do the exactly the same thing at the same time.....what kinda crap is that? Why have 2 controllers and then defeat them with a screw-up like that?

Also, any synth made now should have dedicated octave up & down buttons since any MIDI synth could be used as a controller.....ESPECIALLY when it only has 61 keys....

Sound-wise, the Virus stomps the crap out of it also....listen to Virus demos on YouTube and listen to that on YouTube....

Virus music is cool but personally speaking I don't want to make it and just don't want a Virus as I would buy it new and with possibly more Poly Ana's on the way it looks mighty expensive for the Digi sounds it does make. For my money I prefer Roland super saws ;-) When will Access offer Super Square and Super Triangle LOL

@ Sledge just sharing devlopments. Seems the US price is more in line with exchange rates as opposed to volume discount stuff that more established brands offer in the US, I guess a bit pricy in the US for those looking for more Blofeld functionality

I agree with you that some will just pick up an old Virus and be done...

• Members

Well, {censored}! And Sledge is back in the equation! It's so hard to decide what to get. If only it also had a step sequencer.

Edit:

Damn, it's only 799€ anymore!

Have I missed anything else. How comparable it was with Blofeld again?

Ok, after refreshing memory a bit; seems to be quite different engine altogether. Feature wise Sledge seems quite stripped compared to Blofeld, but what about sound. Any comparison demos?

ehh. Now I remember why I had to scratch it off my list;

monotimbral. Any hope for couple timbres via update?

Not comparing to the Blofeld, it has it's own sound (from the few demo's out there) mainly due to Studio Logic designing the effects and tweaking the rest with Waldorf. If you don't fall for those few demo's it may be best avoided, it has that organy vibe to it, which you may like...

If it sounded different and had more depth I would be more interested, although the side sockets would be a pain in some set ups ;-)

I like the that yellow and although they went a bit overboard on the extra big controls it looks fun. Just limited effects etc...

Archived