Rectoverb Question...

Little Guitars

• Members

Everybody's got different Ideas about what is "low volume". Lower than background elevetor music? Pure crap.

Lower than a TV at conversation volume? Better, but pretty buzzy still.

Lower than a home stereo turned up so you can hear it in the next room? Much better.

As loud as a home stereo cranked up a bit? Pretty good.

Cranked up to 10 o'clock or more? Damn good.

• Members

Depends on what you're playing. For some bluesy riffing, pull back the volume on your guitar and the ROV sounds fine at conversation levels. Throw a delay in the loop and even extreme gain (2-3 o'clock) sounds good. I have to play the amp mostly at living room levels (I only take it to gigs and dry run practises) and like the tone just fine. But it certainly sounds MUCH better at gigging volumes!

How is the Rectoverb at lower volumes? Sound great? Sound like {censored}?

• Members

Cool. Hmmmmmm...ok. I need something around the $1000 mark that sounds good at lower volumes and higher volumes. Any other Mesas fit this? Thanks for the replies!

The Mark IV was the best sounding Mesa at lower volume that I've run across. It's a bit more expensive than $1000. The F-series needs some volume also. The lone star special has an option for 5 watts and sound ok at lower volume. It's also a bit more than $1K.

Almost all the rectos need some volume to sound good. My tremoverb is very touchy, going from thin and buzzy to blasting by just bumping the knob. It doesn't start to sound good at all until it's past apartment safe levels. I have a pod and a crate keyboard amp that does the job for low volume playing.

• Members

The Mark IV was the best sounding Mesa at lower volume that I've run across. It's a bit more expensive than $1000. The F-series needs some volume also. The lone star special has an option for 5 watts and sound ok at lower volume. It's also a bit more than $1K.

Almost all the rectos need some volume to sound good. My tremoverb is very touchy, going from thin and buzzy to blasting by just bumping the knob. It doesn't start to sound good at all until it's past apartment safe levels. I have a pod and a crate keyboard amp that does the job for low volume playing.

Yeah. I've heard the Mark IV is great for low volume playing. I'm just not crazy about spending that much. I'd go for a Mark III possibly, but the shared EQ controls piss me off.

• Members

Yeah. I've heard the Mark IV is great for low volume playing. I'm just not crazy about spending that much. I'd go for a Mark III possibly, but the shared EQ controls piss me off.

I don't have alot of experience with the mark III's, but from other guys that have had them, they really need to be turned up like the rectos.

• Members

I love my Rect-o-verb at any volume, though it does sound better when you turn it up. It is an altogether different beast with different tubes in it. The stock STR430 power tubes were fizzy compared to the STR454 (which are SEDs) - just this change alone made the Rect-o-verb very usable at all volume levels.

• Members

I love my Rect-o-verb at any volume, though it does sound better when you turn it up. It is an altogether different beast with different tubes in it. The stock STR430 power tubes were fizzy compared to the STR454 (which are SEDs) - just this change alone made the Rect-o-verb very usable at all volume levels.

Good to know! Thanks!

• Members

Interesting...I made the same change and also threw in a set of pre-amp tubes recommended by Doug at DougsTubes. I have no problem getting good sounds at any volume. I will agree that at gig levels the amp really shines!

Archived