OT: Just formatted my HD and reinstalled Windows XP

danbronson

• Members

HOLY {censored} what a difference. Everything's so fast and clean now. I have all the stuff I want and no bull{censored}. My three year old computer is running faster than new machines with Vista.:cool:

If your computer's been around for a while and/or you're noticing it drags/is filled with crap - format the thing! I can't recommend it enough!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Btw, it's a Dell and it came with TONS of stuff preinstalled. Basically all of it was totally useless to me. Much of it was not uninstallable (I had to close McAffee every single time I restarted the computer). Now the only programs on this computer, I chose to put on.

AVG Virus/Spyware, Firefox, iTunes, uTorrent, Windows Live Messenger, Google Earth and a little over 18 days worth of music. :)

• Members
I do it every two weeks lol.

So you're telling me, that you wipe the hard drive, do a clean install of Windows, and then restore your backed up data every two weeks?! I sincerely hope you're joking, otherwise you're wasting a lot of time.

One thing that will keep the computer running faster is if you regularly defragment your hard drive. Also, if you install/uninstall a lot of software, cleaning the registry helps too. There are programs that will clean it for you, but I've done it manually on numerous occasions (which is insanely tidious).

Also, I recommend using programs like Ad-Aware and Spybot. :thu:

• Members

here's the best idea of all...

partition your hard drive, or run multiple hard drives...install your operating system on one partition/drive and all your programs, music, whatever on the other partition/drive...when you start noticing your {censored} slowing down, reformat the partition/drive that has your OS on it, and call it a day...you'll thank yourself :)

• Members

Meh. I got used to it. It goes real fast when you're multi tasking. I would be doing my projects for school like drawing and I format at the same time. I have everything backed up in my external hard drive and it goes real fast, especially when I'm used to it. All I need is photoshop, sketchup, audacity, msn msnger, firefox. Rest is a few drivers.

And no I don't use Vista. I use XP.

• Members
Btw, it's a Dell and it came with TONS of stuff preinstalled. Basically all of it was totally useless to me. Much of it was not uninstallable (I had to close McAffee every single time I restarted the computer). Now the only programs on this computer, I chose to put on.

AVG Virus/Spyware, Firefox, iTunes, uTorrent, Windows Live Messenger, Google Earth and a little over 18 days worth of music.
:)

whats so hard about deleting those programs ...?

• Members

Meh. I got used to it. It goes real fast when you're multi tasking. I would be doing my projects for school like drawing and I format at the same time. I have everything backed up in my external hard drive and it goes real fast, especially when I'm used to it. All I need is photoshop, sketchup, audacity, msn msnger, firefox. Rest is a few drivers.

And no I don't use Vista. I use XP.

Why do you reformat every 2 weeks?

• Members

Why do you reformat every 2 weeks?

I play a game which requires me to turn off my firewall and forward all my ports to play online. I start getting viruses the 3rd day after I format. I go for 2 weeks and then it gets unbearable.

:D

Oh and, virus protection doesn't work for me cause once it starts running at the background, you can forget about playing the game smoothly. You keep lagging out.

Sucks to be a geek...

• Members

One thing that will keep the computer running faster is if you regularly defragment your hard drive. Also, if you install/uninstall a lot of software, cleaning the registry helps too. There are programs that will clean it for you, but I've done it manually on numerous occasions (which is insanely tidious).

Also, I recommend using programs like Ad-Aware and Spybot.
:thu:

Regular maintenance will definitely help, but nothing works as good as a freshly installed OS.
Oh, and the average user should not even think about poking around in the registry... even using programs that clean it can be dangerous if you don't know what should and shouldn't be deleted.

• Members

I used to format about every 6 months...

But my last computer, the first one I've composed and assembled entirely myself, keeps performing great. Haven't formatted in 2 years or so now. I defragment the drives now and then, other than that, nothing. The thing outperforms my newer pc at work (Intel Core2Duo, mine is just an AMD 64 3500+).

Pick the right components and your computer will last A LOT longer.

• Members

whats so hard about deleting those programs ...?

You can't just remove everything that comes pre-installed on the average computer. It's amazing how much worthless crap they put on. Even if most things are uninstallable, invariably, unnecessary stuff is left behind that continues running in the background. Sure, you could pick the thing apart trying to find everything and disabling a bazillion start-up applications, but why bother when you can just reinstall and it will run better, anyways?

• Members
HOLY {censored} what a difference. Everything's so fast and clean now. I have all the stuff I want and no bull{censored}. My three year old computer is running faster than new machines with Vista.
:cool:

If your computer's been around for a while and/or you're noticing it drags/is filled with crap - format the thing! I can't recommend it enough!

You could just use Linux. Runs as well day one as day xxxx and often with no reboots in between.

Archived