Sampler with quickest load time that can be externally triggered?

chevybusa

• Members

How many MB of samples is he wanting loaded up at once, and how much money? Sounds like he needs something that has nonvolatile memory, and is available in a module/rack/nonkeyboard format.

The Roland Fantom XR has 16MB of nonvolatile memory. If that's enough, it may work pretty well for him. They're not cheap though (not as cheap as I'd like at least). They still go for a minimum of $500 used, and you need to watch out to make sure you get one that has the sample tools expansion, otherwise it's a huge PITA to get it upgraded, though it used to be free from Roland.

AnotherScott definitely has hit on what may be a viable option, an ipad (or, even cheaper and smaller, an ipod touch). The Bismark bs16i program loads soundfonts, and can load up and cache hundreds of MB of sounds in no time. The iRig MIDI is cheap and would work, but it wouldn't charge the device while in use. He'd have to run from batteries, which may not be a problem. My iPad2 will run as a MIDI module for many hours, though I'm not sure how long an ipod touch would last.

• Members

Actually, that's my main reason for recommending the iRig over competing devices... you
can
charge the device while in use.

Wow! I don't know how I never noticed that the iRig MIDI has a little micro USB charge port. Has it always had that?

• Members

I'm surprised that Fantom XR gets mentioned in a "quickest load time" thread. That thing is slower than molasses in January.

Yeah, I felt weird typing it. Nevertheless, it does have its nonvolatile sample RAM. It takes a little longer to boot with 16MB of samples in the nonvolatile memory, but it's not too bad. Mine has 16MB of individual tonewheel samples that it loads up from the nonvolatile memory, and I've got 100MB or so of EP samples that I load from a compact flash card. If I need to boot in a hurry I take the compact flash card out before turning it on. It takes about 5 minutes to boot with the 100MB CF card, 1 minute without. I dread the gig when the power flickers and the Fantom needs to reboot mid-set. I have a little battery-powered AC power source that I'm thinking I may start using between the Fantom and the AC, hoping that it will guarantee that the Fantom can't lose power in a gig.

• Members

Not sure if it would be a perfect fit (as we don't make a rack version).... but our PC3K addresses the sample load time issue.

With the PC3K the first time you load external samples into it, it takes a long time.... but then the samples remain intact pretty much forever or until you delete them.

You can turn the machine off, turn it back on and it boots up in under 30 seconds, with user samples intact.

I'm pretty sure that Yamaha and Nord have similar technology (using non-volatile flash-ROM instead of volatile RAM).

Dave Weiser

Kurzweil R&D

• Members
There is no load time on the SP-505 (or most of the other Roland SPs) because the samples are streamed off the card, not loaded into RAM first.

Yep. If your friend is still worried about the "groovebox" aspect, have him check out the SP-404SX. 32GB (!!!) of 16-bit uncompressed samples are available less than two seconds after power up. Trigger latency is negligible. MIDI input works well, but there's little in the way of internal mapping. Just use the software to map samples to banks and pads.

• Members

Yamaha DTX multi 12, it has 64mb flash memory, load the samples in once, and then they're there forever until you delete them, meaning live, there are no loading times!all samples available instantly.

It also has a load of high quality inbuilt drum/percussion samples for you to layer and sculpt along with your own, custom samples.

It's all in one too, he wouldn't need external pads, though he could still use them if wanted, i believe it has midi and trigger inputs.

You'd think i worked for yamaha or something but the reality is, it's just a very well designed product that i love.

• Members

RIght on!!!! Thank you guys so much that is a huge help...yeah after reading these responses and the ones on the Drum Forum and what I posted at the VDrums forum, so far we're leaning towards the Yamaha DTX Multi 12 or the Roland SPD-SX, however even though he has more money now he may be looking to score a deal on the Roland SPD-S cuz it's like half the price of those 2 used on eBay. Anyways thank you guys so much again and I will keep y'all posted, thanks again!!!!

• Members

I would also consider a muse receptor

http://www.museresearch.com/

might be overkill for what you need but they've been around for a while, might be able to find one on eBay or Craigslist

software samplers are pretty great compared to hardware in many ways and the receptor is a rack mount computer optimized for live use of virtual instruments like samplers, etc

they have the benefit of lots of velocity layers, large libraries and you could run drum synths or anything else you could think of. I would recommend native instruments battery

• Members

A cheap alternative, if 8MB is enough space, is to get a 2nd hand Alesis QSR and an 8MB compatible linear flash card. You would use the Alesis Soundbridge software to load your samples onto the card, although I have to admit this procedure is not for the faint of heart. Load time is instantaneous because it's flash ROM. I know 8MB is ridiculous by today's standards, but I have made several piano and Rhodes flash cards for the Alesis QS series and they sound great and sell quite well on eBay. And those are full-blown piano multisamples. I would imagine drum samples shouldn't have to take up nearly as much space.

• Members

Yamaha Multi-12 - great all in one drum pad/module - not a good sample playback machine - memory is too small and the file management system is painful

Roland SPD-S - Still useful after all these years - 512 Mb mem is still a lot - file management system is slightly less painful - cheaper than an SPD-SX

Roland SP404 - As quick and bone simple as samplers get - no load times - great effects - easy direct sampling w/ built-in mic - downside: all samples are immediately available if played via keyboard - with a drum controller you will need a workaround to access all samples (remember, the only way to change the sample set is to swap out memory cards)

• Members

I have a Fantom XR, and indeed, the load time (off an external compact flash card, as well as its internal storage which I believe is just flash memory itself) is excruciatingly slow.

I also have an Alesis QSR. It can indeed play samples directly off of an external card, but there are caveats. It uses a really old format of flash cards that I haven't seen sold in years (and are expensive if you can even find them). Also it's limited storage (8MB I think). And frankly, although the keybed is great, and therefore makes a nice controller, the sound of the instrument itself is dated. The DACs and analog stage don't sound good, especially on the high end. Cymbals will definitely sound less than inspiring.

Personally, I think your best bet is to get a rack-mount computer (or server as they're commonly known) with an SSD (solid state drive), and get some VSTs (setup and operated via a host program such as Cantabile, which is designed to allow a computer's VSTs to be played via a MIDI controller). You can get many more, high-quality samples than with the other hardware-based solutions mentioned above. And things will load quite fast from an SSD. With a quality soundcard installed (such as an RME or Lynx), you also get better audio quality than with those other alternatives. Here's an idea of what I'm talking about (although this particular model is not a rackmount design, it is fanless, which definitely improves reliability in a gig situation since moving, and unsoldered, components tend to be what jostle loose or break during transport):

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=h10_fanless_pc

I use a rackmount PC for my gigs, running my own custom "Drum box" Windows software. I've been doing this several times a week for at least 8 years using this setup, so it works fantastically well if done right. Don't use a laptop. Those things tend to overheat, and are made with cheap electronics that burn out, and are easy to drop and break. I use a rackmount PC with good quality, name-brand components such as a Gigabyte motherboard with capacitors that are especially good tolerance. The computer is in an SKB rack to protect it. Yes, I've dropped the thing on cement floors a few times, and it keeps on working. I also use a small USB displaylink touchscreen monitor to control my software. This is what I use:

http://www.doublesight.com/product/?idx=63

I like it because I can set it right on my keyboard and control the drums while I'm playing. But companies also make rackmount monitors, which is another good option.

Oh here's another example of a rackmount PC. (There are lots of companies that sell them. Google "rackmount server"). You can customize this one out and probably get something cheaper than the boutique audio PC makers. (But I'd recommend you get the PCI riser card, since you may want to add a quality audio card. For something good but cheap, check out an M-Audio Delta 1010 LT -- the LT model, not the overpriced 1010).

http://www.idotpc.com/TheStore/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=988&qty=1

• Members

Right on!!! Thank you guys all so much for all the replies, I really appreciate it. Yeah since he's a drummer he's looking more and more at the idea of having it "all in one" like the Roland SPD-SX or SPD-S or Yammy DTX Multi 12, because set up/loading time is such an issue for him due to the gigs he plays, the simpler the better and the least amount of gear he has to lug around the better. As of now he's really leaning towards the Roland SPD-S cuz after reading all the posts here and on the drum forum and on the VDrum forum (and after DLing and reading the manuals for all) it looks it's gonna do what he wants and it's half the price (used) of the SPD-SX or the DTX Mutli12, the only issue is the SPD-SX having the USB and flash drives to load to make it a lot easier, but even with all the other features that's not somethings he's willing to spring for $300 dollars more.

Once again thank you guys so much!!!!

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is slightly hi-jacking your thread, but you all seem like my best bet, as you seem to know what you're chatting about!

Basically, I'm looking for a VSTi that simulates (or roughly simulates) the Roland SPD-S. Does anyone know of one?

To give you a little more background, I'm playing keys on an m-audio Axiom 61, and want to use the pads to trigger samples when I'm not using a drummer with an SPD-S. I need simple mute group features, poly/mono options, and looping, possibly the option of a kill switch and ideally an easy way to choose which set of samples I'm using.

Does anyone know of anything that will do this? My VST host is Energy-XT 2, which does have quite a good sampler, but it lacks looping, and changing my groups is a pain.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike

Archived