Motif ES6 vs Motif XS6- very detailed comparison

• Members

Sorry, I have to disagree here, there are quite a few amateurs and idiots on many forums.

Especially on this forum. Aside from the immoral and indecent that goes on around here all of the time, there are a lot of young Canadian degenerates who don't read the manual (a sign of theft - they steal the keyboard and forget to take the manual), don't take music lessons (can't read). It's a shame, really.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, so teknobrat2003 had to cross-post this message in multiple forums... well, I'll repeat it here: I do not trust any advice from people who use "terms" like "warm", "phat", "crisp", "muffy" and so on. Rings a bell for me.

And yeah, the piano is the same good old CFIII - it's just playing on the 61-key semi-weighted action with no sustain pedal is probably not quite the way you're supposed to dig it... and so on.

With all the hype and anticipation. I am some what disappointed to see all the negative feedback and comments. I really have to go see it for myself.

You should have followed the discussion that started upon the introduction of the Motif ES some 4 years ago... the complaints were exact the same almost word for word, except that people were comparing the ES to the Motif classic, the Triton Studio and the Fantom S.

• Members

If there's nothing innovative about it, how can it be a step in an evolution?

My brother was born after me... he's another step in the evolution of my family... he isn't innovative...

The JX10 came after the JX8P. The JX10 is not innovative.

The DX7S came after the DX7, the DX7S is not innovative.

Etc.. etc...

please stop trying to be provocative, this is a nice forum. :)

• Members

I think no-one has really done much to improve the sampling synthesis since the Emulator II.

VSynth, ACID, Ableton Live all completely changed how we think about sampling... back in '84 (and I started playing back in the S900 days) we couldn't have imagined such things... I remember even trying to convince my musical partner to part with

• Members

I don't know who from Yamaha has been posting here these days or if its motifator.com you're speaking about, but when Mike Martin was handling their synths, we always got straight answers, he never over inflated their products from what I can remember, and he was always a gentleman. Too bad he's in another job slot with Yamaha now. Our loss.

Mike T.

I'm sorry to hear that. He was a great rep. :cry:

• Members

:freak: :freak: :freak:

You are without a doubt going on my ignore list.

I'm not gonna answer you again as I really dislike your provocative "lets all have an argument as long as I WIN!!!" kind of style...

You are obviously a deeply unhappy person, why not try and be positive?

Did they change the concept of sample-based synthesis?

You definition does not comply with the common meaning.

etc.. etc.. for eternity...

• Members

I don't know who from Yamaha has been posting here these days or if its motifator.com you're speaking about, but when Mike Martin was handling their synths, we always got straight answers, he never over inflated their products from what I can remember, and he was always a gentleman. Too bad he's in another job slot with Yamaha now. Our loss.

Mike T.

Mike Martin is a great guy. He's actually not working for Yamaha any longer. He had a couple of different gigs there and is now working for TC Electronics. I don't believe this forum has any Yamaha reps posting, but several on the www.motifator.com forums are always answering questions and trying to help people.

On another note, I am really looking forward to checking out the Motif XS to see how much of an improvement it is over my S90 in terms of the sounds and interface.

• Members

Hey Eric. I didn't know that Mike Martin was no longer with Yamaha. Last I heard, he wanted to work closer to home, so he asked to be assigned to a different product line within Yamaha.

Brother Eric, not all the Yamaha reps are gentlemen like Mike Martin. Sometimes its just in their "tone" or attitude to people that aren't willing to jump on their next band wagon or be Yamaha lap dogs. Like me.

I think the XS is a needed improvement over the ES, but I wouldn't dump my ES8 to get an XS. It's only one generation, and I don't "need" some of the things they implemented into the new XS. That said, someone that is 2 generations removed from the latest and greatest Yamaha has to offer may be gasing for the XS. Wonder who that could be? :D

Mike T.

• Members

I think the XS is a needed improvement over the ES, but I wouldn't dump my ES8 to get an XS. It's only one generation, and I don't "need" some of the things they implemented into the new XS. That said, someone that is 2 generations removed from the latest and greatest Yamaha has to offer may be gasing for the XS. Wonder who that could be?
:D

Mike T.

Yup it was the same way for many form the Motif Classic to the ES. I thought it was cool, but there weren't enough of the improvements I was looking for to make the switch. As a classic owner, the XS is a compelling upgrade.

• Members

Yup it was the same way for many form the Motif Classic to the ES. I thought it was cool, but there weren't enough of the improvements I was looking for to make the switch. As a classic owner, the XS is a compelling upgrade.

as someone who has been watching the motifs but not yet owned one, I really am excited by it. it already sounds leaps better than my fantom.

I am probably, however, going to get an ES rack in the short term though. I doubt the XS will be around for a while, and even then..it probably wont have the seq or sampling stuff (which I do not need anyway).

• Members

I tried to post this thread today at Motifator.com, however I was unable to for some reason their forum submit is acting up. So many of the references are related to that forum. But I thought posting here might be informative as well to people thinking about buying a a Motif XS6.

Okay, so yesterday I went to my local guitar center and tried the XS and ES. They were actually displayed side by side, which made it very easy to make this comparison. I spent 4 hours total with both units (it was my day off ;), and here is what I found (note all of this is my opinion and it is neither fact or the end all be all, I would love to hear other people

• Members

The Motif XS is bangin. It crushes it's predecessors. I worked with an ES7 for 4 years and recently sold it to get the XS6. I use use Cubase, so the integration was what was after,but wasn't sure what to expect as far as sounds. They're crisp and thick. I've been in front of it for the last 6 hours. It really is ridiculous! None of the competition can hang with this green machine. Everytime I touch it, something fun-key comes pouring out. :love:

• Members

you saw my GC visit report-typical junk you have to endure

Plus they had the XS8 plugged into a KC300- that had blown speakers. Nice

Bring your headphones, get their early ( before the neighborhood kids) during the week

BTW, the CP70 sounds tremendous on the XS

Bring headphones

• Members

The Motif XS is bangin. It crushes it's predecessors. I worked with an ES7 for 4 years and recently sold it to get the XS6. I use use Cubase, so the integration was what was after,but wasn't sure what to expect as far as sounds. They're crisp and thick. I've been in front of it for the last 6 hours. It really is ridiculous! None of the competition can hang with this green machine. Everytime I touch it, something fun-key comes pouring out.
:love:

Good read. I keep wondering if I am missing something. I went to GC with my own headphones and on an early Monday, so external noise wasn't a factor. I just wasn't able to hear an Earth-shattering difference between the XS-8 and my S90-ES.

There are quite a few voices I actually prefer on the S90-ES, particularly the acoustic pianos. The XS pianos are too bright and lowering the EQ highs didn't make the patches sound any better. From what I've read, the XS pianos are based off CFIII samples, while the S90-ES is based off S-700 samples. Whatever the reason, there is a level of intimacy on the S90-ES pianos that's missing on the XS.

• Members

And did I hear correctly that the XS can use up to 8 elements, versus 4? That's cool...

Yes ... and despite my previous plea for details ... nobody's said anything about that so far ... How many patches actually use more than four layers?

I fear I won't have the time to slip away to GC tomorrow. I guess it's better during the week, anyway.

Archived