Motif ES6 vs Motif XS6- very detailed comparison

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mike Martin is a great guy. He's actually not working for Yamaha any longer. He had a couple of different gigs there and is now working for TC Electronic.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I was reading this as I was considering making the jump to an XS as well (although I'm leaning towards a PC3).

No, I'm definitely not at Yamaha any more. I had left the corporate office and moved back to the Chicago area to work as a district manager for them (the cost of living in California was killing us), but then I left Yamaha for TC Electronic. For the last 19 months I was the National Sales Manager at TC|US (TC Electronic) and was let go 2 weeks ago due to corporate restructuring. So now I'm looking for a new gig. :confused:

Take care,

Mike Martin

www.mikemmartin.com

• Members

ABOUT THE SOUNDS

Before I get into discussing the sounds I would like to mention that Yamaha is a bit lazy when programming sounds. Did you notice that most of the sounds on the ES6 are on the XS6? And the last 2 banks of sounds are stupid sound effects and motion sounds which are pretty useless. When Roland created the Fantom series they created a brand new set of patches and performances. Why is yamaha selling a unit 4 years later with almost the exact voices/ patches as the ES6.

Why wouldn't they re-use a lot of the same sounds? Moving from an ES to an XS is hard enough. Replacing all the classic sounds you've learned to rely on would be a non-starter for many musicians. Nothing wrong with that at all IMHO.

Contrary to the whine from me above, I *really* appreciate the effort you put into this post. It's VERY useful.

thanks!

• 5 years later...
  • Members

For me it seems like those companies from time to time release a good product.  After that they keep on giving a facelift on that same basis and trying to sell as much as they can.  Take for example the Roland JV80.  When it came out it was revolutionary.  After that only lipsticks and powder.  JV90, JV1000 (released in Brazil only), XPs...

Yamaha did the same.  I've had the Classic Motif.  Great keyboard.  After that I really thing they improved a few things on the ES release.  Then more make up.  XS, XF, MOs, MXs.

Another thing, don't you guys hear a type of "latency" when playing the Motif XS?  It sounds like the processos is having a hard time do deliver the notes you play.

Archived