Combining different brand/model Speakers?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members
Ask around. Look up specs on speakers. Do it intuitively, ya know.

Eminence Patriot "Swamp Thang"s for a good tight bass tone, and Celestion

V30's for pleasant highs and mids.

An X pattern would give you a good tone.

So, I'm need to look for contrasting speakers? THat's it?:confused:

• Members

You're a maverick, you're a loose cannon!

But seriously, you just have to try it. I'm not sure you can even really use two cabs at once, loaded with different speakers, to figure it out. They may react differently when put together in the same cabinet.

And before anyone goes nuts, I wouldn't say that there's anything magic about it. Some people act like taking two different sounding speakers and putting them in the same cab gives you "the best of both worlds." It just gives you something different. There are already a bazillion and one different types of speakers out there, many of which were designed with the intention of mixing aspects of other speakers, so it's not like it's totally necessary just to get a variation on the sound of the select few well known speakers. Just keep that in mind. I haven't even tried a whole lot of speakers, but I can't say there's any sort of sound I've ever needed from them that eluded me.

• Members
You're a maverick, you're a loose cannon!

But seriously, you just have to try it. I'm not sure you can even really use two cabs at once, loaded with different speakers, to figure it out. They may react differently when put together in the same cabinet.

And before anyone goes nuts, I wouldn't say that there's anything magic about it. Some people act like taking two different sounding speakers and putting them in the same cab gives you "the best of both worlds." It just gives you something different. There are already a bazillion and one different types of speakers out there, many of which were designed with the intention of mixing aspects of other speakers, so it's not like it's totally necessary just to get a variation on the sound of the select few well known speakers. Just keep that in mind. I haven't even tried a whole lot of speakers, but I can't say there's any sort of sound I've ever needed from them that eluded me.

I figured since I have CL80 clones, Real V30s, and Vox Wharfedales, I should try mixing them up......since well........I have them.:idea: Just trying to see if it's worth my time to mess around with them.
I'm not a big fan of the V30s, but I thought mixed with one of the others it might sound decent?

• Members

You have other speakers. You be the judge of that. :)

If they're from an AC CC, that's probably where that came from. Of course, people find them to be inferior to alnico blues, which are THE speaker for those amps. They also cost an arm and a leg. I have no freaking clue how the Wharfedales would go with anything else.

For being cheap knock offs in cheaper combo amps (well, some of them), they seem fine to me. They aren't outright muffled tone death, as is so often the case, at least.

• Members
You have other speakers. You be the judge of that.
:)
If they're from an AC CC, that's probably where that came from. Of course, people find them to be inferior to alnico blues, which are THE speaker for those amps. They also cost an arm and a leg. I have no freaking clue how the Wharfedales would go with anything else.

For being cheap knock offs in cheaper combo amps (well, some of them), they seem fine to me. They aren't outright muffled tone death, as is so often the case, at least.

before i heard of Avatar cabs, I bought a Vox 2x12 extension cab with Wharfdales. I was using it with my Bassman and Traynor.....I was really impressed with the Wharfedales after using it with my Vendetta. The Vendetta stunk with the stock V30s.....but WOW when plugged into the Vox 2x12! I replaced the V30s with the CL80 clones, and that helped the amp quite a bit.......which to my ears sound similar to the wharfedales. Big bottom end, clear and smooth.:thu:

Archived