NEW Elektron teaser site ''tradition-and-future'' for an upcoming product

Bernard

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by lemons

View Post

Are the oscillators DCO or VCO? I would believe they are DCO, but find it funny that it is not stated anywhere..

''Both oscillators of each voice are analog, with all their elaborate waveshaping completely analog, and with their pitches controlled digitally. The noise generator is digital. The two filters, and the overdrive circuit between them, of each voice are fully analog. The amplifiers are analog. The envelopes and LFOs are digital. Their design allow them to go well into audio range without unwanted artifacts.

The signal path from the oscillators to the audio outputs is completely analog. The signal path from the external inputs to the audio outputs is also fully analog. The digital send effects are parallel to the main audio path, and the wet signals from the digital send effects are mixed with the dry analog signal before the main output stage.''

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Looks like they are pre ordering @ the price... ;-)
I have to admit it is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be!

However, that brings me to the question.. is there something wrong with it? Why is it cheaper than all-digital Monomachine?

• Members

View Post

However, that brings me to the question.. is there something wrong with it? Why is it cheaper than all-digital Monomachine?

I think your over analyzing but here goes:

Question - ''Does the Analog Four use any special-purpose chips for its oscillators and filters?''

Read expensive now rare and harder to make stuff

Answer - ''No'' ''The oscillators are constructed from the ground up, in order to obtain a richer sound and provide more features. The ladder filter is based upon discrete low-noise transistors, the multimode filter uses high-quality VCAs. The combination of tradition and innovation gives a unique sound with many possibilities not found in other analog or digital synthesizers.''

Read it is very cheap flexible and may even sound better the way they have done it!

The result. They can make this thing cheaper than their other gear and due to ''Analog'' demand, sell tons of these, stay in business and make more cool gear in future.... cool.gif

wave.gif

• Members

View Post

Whether the design considerations (digital LFO instead of analog LFO, digital envelopes instead of analog envelopes, etc.) to lower the cost of the product are "wrong" is up to you as the potential customer. It's not "wrong" to the peeps on other forums who've already announced they've put in their pre-orders already.

Arturia made similar design decisions that some people might consider "wrong" for their Minibrute (eg. digital LFO instead of analog LFO), yet it seems to be selling well.

To me, a product only has something "wrong" with it if I don't like the sound and/or I can't make music with it because the UI design doesn't work for me, or there is a serious software bug. Elektron's last product, the Octatrack, was said to have a bunch of bugs upon initial release - so if you're looking for something to be afraid of, that might be the first place to look wink.gif.... but if you wait another year or so, the bugs should be ironed out biggrin.gif.

• Members

I don't think you can play chords with it unless you can duplicate a voice or track setup to the other voices or tracks and assign them to the same MIDI channel.

This thing has already got my head going. That's always a good sign. Not going to impulse buy though. I'm still not hearing the cream or the funk. Dubstep basses, Acid Basses, and drones don't cut it for everybody.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MuzikB

View Post

I also just jizzed my pants!

They don't say if you can use all four voices or any type of split combination to play chords?

I suspect it will but would accept if not as it still has so many uses and fits well with what I have.. thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard

View Post

I suspect it will but would accept if not as it still has so many uses and fits well with what I have.. thumb.gif

I already have 2 analog monos I'm intrigued with this as a mono and poly synth if it's capable. I will definitely put my Slimphatty up for sale to purchase the Analog Four if I start hearing something besides experimental, edgy, glitch, and dubstep type stuff.

Where does this thing sit in an R&B, House, Ambient, Pop, and even Jazz context? Moog is tried and true in these departments but I think my Mopho Keyboard is the bees-knees for my uses.

The Analog Four would be great to use alongside my Mopho Keyboard but not if it's design is to support marketing for Dubstep.

• Members

View Post

I already have 2 analog monos I'm intrigued with this as a mono and poly synth if it's capable. I will definitely put my Slimphatty up for sale to purchase the Analog Four if I start hearing something besides experimental, edgy, glitch, and dubstep type stuff.

Where does this thing sit in an R&B, House, Ambient, Pop, and even Jazz context? Moog is tried and true in these departments but I think my Mopho Keyboard is the bees-knees for my uses.

The Analog Four would be great to use alongside my Mopho Keyboard but not if it's design is to support marketing for Dubstep.

The DSI has a strong texture to its sound that while full of character is a little strong for my taste. This Analog Four has a smoother sound, you can hear it's analog but it does not wear on the ear like some Analogs. The filter has more than the DSI Mopho's, but I think if someone needs to play keys they will get a keyboard of some kind and give this a miss.

The sequencing side is quite powerful and hands on. I see it can change patch per step on one track, that is really useful and means you could have multiple sounds in a sequence without much effort beyond 4 mono synth patches. It is definitely aimed at a different user, so any normal keys stuff will be a bonus.. I will assume if they do not allow cords per track then the sequencer is also not polyphonic so will not be that useful for polyphonic external gear.

Seems flexible enough to do Moog sounds fairly well but I suspect they have not tried to emulate Moog. It also sounds a little like some Roland RA synths, but still different enough that I don't think many will compare. There was one Jupiterish sound that reminded me of the J8 but it was still quite different in character. Its Analog so it will sound like many of them smile.gif

I guess your right though, treat as 4 mono synths until they confirm otherwise..

How it fit in with different styles of music will be down to the users, I guess most will be existing or past Elektron users interested in a change for the style of sequencing it provides..

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard

View Post

The DSI has a strong texture to its sound that while full of character is a little strong for my taste. This Analog Four has a smoother sound, you can hear it's analog but it does not wear on the ear like some Analogs. The filter has more than the DSI Mopho's, but I think if someone needs to play keys they will get a keyboard of some kind and give this a miss.

The sequencing side is quite powerful and hands on. I see it can change patch per step on one track, that is really useful and means you could have multiple sounds in a sequence without much effort beyond 4 mono synth patches. It is definitely aimed at a different user, so any normal keys stuff will be a bonus.. I will assume if they do not allow cords per track then the sequencer is also not polyphonic so will not be that useful for polyphonic external gear.

Seems flexible enough to do Moog sounds fairly well but I suspect they have not tried to emulate Moog. It also sounds a little like some Roland RA synths, but still different enough that I don't think many will compare. There was one Jupiterish sound that reminded me of the J8 but it was still quite different in character. Its Analog so it will sound like many of them smile.gif

I guess your right though, treat as 4 mono synths until they confirm otherwise..

How it fit in with different styles of music will be down to the users, I guess most will be existing or past Elektron users interested in a change for the style of sequencing it provides..

I thought it was all about the user until having the Prophet 08. There's nothing smooth (or my definition of smooth) coming out of that synth. The demos of the X4 say the same thing so I passed on it but the current DSI sound is great for dance floor bass, leads, and other mono synth sounds.

I just refuse to be taken on hype as I was with the Prophet.

I still have yet to get my hands on a Minibrute. The PACNorthwest seems to be the last place to get anything hardware synth related so I'm hoping that some more "contemporary" sounds will be demoed for the Analog Four.

• Members

View Post

I still have yet to get my hands on a Minibrute.

The one I heard in person sounded great to me. As expected, it had a distinct character compared to the Voyager and other monosynths, and I suspect it can sound much more rude than the Voyager without having to add a fuzz pedal or something like that. Granted, the context in which I heard the Minibrute was noise/ambient, but I think it'd sound great for rap (eg. the lead line to "It's Like This and Like That" by Snoop Dogg) and stuff like that if someone wanted to try it.

Archived