Marshall AVT50 Vs Line 6 for cover band

ckcondon

• Members

Hey gang,

First off, I'm the drummer for my band. Our guitarist doesn't own a computer (Whole other story!)

Last year we (the singer and I) picked up a used Marshall AVT50 half stack because our guitarists rig wasn't usable for gigs. He's a great player and a really good guy, but financially... shall we say, unstable? He works a day job, but struggles to keep his head above water and can never afford gear. We don't mind buying the amp as "band gear" and letting him use it.

That being said, we are debating whether to sell the Marshall and get him a line 6 (Flextone or maybe 120w Spider III).

I know that there is not much love for Line 6 from the purists, but I do know a few people who are very happy with theirs.

The AVT has been a solid performer to date, but since we are a cover band playing a wide variety of artists, the modeling is pretty attractive. I also would prefer a combo for size/weight reasons (The amp lives at my house and I bring it to gigs in the trailer with the PA).

I'm curious to see who is using the line-6 for cover material and how happy you are. Also any input from those w/AVT's is appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

• Members

First of all. I would fire your guitarist and get someone who has their {censored} together.

I would go with the Line6 over the AVT. More tonal options. I have a POD XT Live and it can mimic Fender style cleans to brewtal metal and everything in between.

• Members

I would shop around for a Line 6 Duoverb head. They're not produced anymore, but do all the Line 6 modelling things at a great price. Often times you can find them for around $400.

Line 6 > Marshall AVT. Stay far away from the Spider series, however.

• Members

First of all. I would fire your guitarist and get someone who has their {censored} together.

I would go with the Line6 over the AVT. More tonal options. I have a POD XT Live and it can mimic Fender style cleans to brewtal metal and everything in between.

So, fire the guy even though he's a great player and a nice guy, just because he doesn't have a lot of money?

Wow, you're a douche.

In terms of the OP, I'd say wait for whatever grand device L6 is releasing next month. There's rumored to be a Bogner/L6 hybrid as discussed elsewhere on this fine forum.

• Members

It's funny, I've been flamed for not firing the guy in another post!

I play part-time because I love performing live. I did my time "in the van" back in the early 90's. I have a great career away from music and don't ever plan to play full-time again.

Finding talented musicians who don't want to play 5 nights a week is tough. This is not a black & white deal, my band is in shades of grey!

We all get along, have fun playing and don't have a bunch of drama. Are there things I'd like to be different, hell yeah! But it's not a perfect world and band harmony is sometimes more important than the little things. As long as he shows up, plays well and continues being a good guy, I have no problems.

The Marshall is on craigslist as we speak and there's a Flextone II that I may be able to snag if I sell the Marshall soon.

I'm trying to keep the expense under $500. We only play out about one weekend per month and I'd rather spend my $$ on drums and PA gear!

• Members

Definitely the Line 6 (or some other modeler).

If money is a serious consideration, look at a used Flextone II head (rather than the current version III), as well. Those are dirt cheap and super versatile for a cover band situation.

• Members

I am not a big fan of the marshall AVT series, so I would go with a Line 6 Flextone II/III or a Vetta.

Better yet check out a Vox Valvetronix AD60 or AD120, very nice amps. The Line 6 amps are traditionally better at high gain tones, and the Vox Valvetronix amps typically excel at clean to mid gain tones. That is not to say that you can't play metal with a Vox Valvetronix....

• Members

100% agreed. I've played in bands before when I let another guitar player borrow my spare rig. I ended up bringing it to practice, shows, wherever. It's a huge pain. I say if he really wants to play he should buy his own crap. trust me this will come back to haunt you.

but to answer your question, go for the pod since your in a cover band, it will cover more tones. Maybe you could just buy a pod and run it through your board.

• Members

So, fire the guy even though he's a great player and a nice guy, just because he doesn't have a lot of money?

I find that most times people "choose" not to have the money for good equipment. I've played in 2 bands where I had to let the other guy use my stuff. One guy bought a motorcycle while he was using my stuff, the other just partied all the time. that's what you get for being the nice guy.

• Members

I find that most times people "choose" not to have the money for good equipment. I've played in 2 bands where I had to let the other guy use my stuff. One guy bought a motorcycle while he was using my stuff, the other just partied all the time. that's what you get for being the nice guy.

I think if that were the case, the OP would show the common sense to say something and deliver an ultimatum.

• Members

For the record, he's not spending $$ on other stuff (except maybe smokes). He has a live-in girlfriend and a new baby, and his work has dropped off this summer due to the economy/housing glut.

I try not to judge people too harshly unless I know they're just slacking. It's easy to judge others, but I'm fine with our decision to buy this amp for him to use. It's a little self-serving too because I want the band to sound good!

So what's the downside to the Spider III series? Unreliable, {censored} sound?

• Members

A Vetta II costs more.

a Vetta runs about the same as a HD 147 most of times.

The only difference between a Vetta 1 and 2 pretty much is cosmetic and II has a place to plug in a variac guitar.

You can find them sometimes on Ebay for $600, every once in a awhile even cheaper..If you catch one at the right time.

Have a look you might score one cheap.

http://instruments.search.ebay.com/Vetta_Musical-Instruments_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQfsprZ0QQsacatZ619

• Members

Trying to stay under $500, so finding a Vetta may be tough. I agree that it would be the first choice since our old guitarist had one and it was great for the songs we play.

If he's right and you can score a Vetta for $600, that would be excellent. You can upgrade the software to Vetta II specs for free from Line 6's web site, so all you'd be losing out on is the Variax input, which chances are you'll never use anyway.

I used to own an AVT50 head. (It got stolen at a gig, actually. We brought it for our singer to use on two songs. They nicked the AVT and left the TSL, Triaxis & 2:90, and SVT. Go figure.) It's not the flaming piece of {censored} that it gets portrayed as at all. It's probably the best sounding of the AVT line and can get some useable tones, especially through a good cab. I'd take the AVT over the Spider series- it's more limited tonewise, but what you can pull out of it is better. I'd go with a Flextone II, III, Duoverb or Vetta over the AVT though.

• Members

Hey gang,

First off, I'm the drummer for my band. Our guitarist doesn't own a computer (Whole other story!)

Last year we (the singer and I) picked up a used Marshall AVT50 half stack because our guitarists rig wasn't usable for gigs. He's a great player and a really good guy, but financially... shall we say, unstable? He works a day job, but struggles to keep his head above water and can never afford gear. We don't mind buying the amp as "band gear" and letting him use it.

That being said, we are debating whether to sell the Marshall and get him a line 6 (Flextone or maybe 120w Spider III).

I know that there is not much love for Line 6 from the purists, but I do know a few people who are very happy with theirs.

The AVT has been a solid performer to date, but since we are a cover band playing a wide variety of artists, the modeling is pretty attractive. I also would prefer a combo for size/weight reasons (The amp lives at my house and I bring it to gigs in the trailer with the PA).

I'm curious to see who is using the line-6 for cover material and how happy you are. Also any input from those w/AVT's is appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

I don

Archived