Midi controller for softsynths

mnewb1

• Members

I am trying to decide on a good midi controller to use with my PC88 ( I love the key bed in this thing ).  I want something to map to control parameters in Mainstage and with other softsynths.  

any recommendations?  It would need to have 5 pin din midi inputs to attach to the older Kurzweil board.  

• Members

mnewb1 wrote:

I am trying to decide on a good midi controller to use with my PC88 ( I love the key bed in this thing ).  I want something to map to control parameters in Mainstage and with other softsynths.  

any recommendations?  It would need to have 5 pin din midi inputs to attach to the older Kurzweil board.  

If it is being used to control parameters in Mainstage and other softsynths, it does not need to connect directly to the Kurzweil, so you could get by with a USB device as well. But if you also want to use it in conjunction with the sounds in the Kurzweil when no computer is in the picture, then yes, you would need the 5 pin DIN connector.

If you just need mappable controls, you could look at something as minimal as a Korg NanoKontrol (USB only) or something fancier (including standard MIDI connections) like a Novation Zero SL Mk II or Behinrger BCF2000/BCR2000. If you want something with keys, I like the Samson Graphite 49 and Novations SL Mk II keyboard versions. But feel on these things is also pretty subjective.

• Members

AnotherScott wrote:

mnewb1 wrote:

If it is being used to control parameters in Mainstage and other softsynths, it does not need to connect directly to the Kurzweil, so you could get by with a USB device as well. But if you also want to use it in conjunction with the sounds in the Kurzweil when no computer is in the picture, then yes, you would need the 5 pin DIN connector.

If you just need mappable controls, you could look at something as minimal as a Korg NanoKontrol (USB only) or something fancier (including standard MIDI connections) like a Novation Zero SL Mk II or Behinrger BCF2000/BCR2000. If you want something with keys, I like the Samson Graphite 49 and Novations SL Mk II keyboard versions. But feel on these things is also pretty subjective.

Right, of course I don't have to run the keyboard through a device...I can still run it through my audio-interface...Thanks...so I ordered this today

MiniLab.png

Archived