What amp would complement a Splawn Quickrod?

danjovi

• Members
So I narrowed it down to either a Roadster or Mark IV. Tried out the VHT's, Soldanos. Something about how the Mesa's feel when i play them just clicked right for me. Especially the Roadster, I was in love with CH3/Vintage Mode with the gain a little below noon. Sounded so thick and chords shined through nicely!

I'm leaning towards a Roadster... cause i think when combining a splawn with the roadster it will be a bigger contrast in tone than the Mark IV.

anyone want to chime in on why a Mesa Boogie Mark series amp might complement a Splawn better than a Recto voiced Mesa amp?

Myxolidian - Thats basically what i been doing with my QR/PM setup. Don't get me wrong it sounds fantastic. But naturally it's kind of the same flavor and just slightly different cause the voicings are similar QR/PM.

I think you've got the right idea, in your case I would recommend the Roadster. Normally I would tell you to get the Mark IV, but you're going to be mixing it with another tight amp, so that would be kind of redundant. As long as you think it had enough clarity for you then I would go for it :thu:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Personally something with a real nice clean would make the most sense but that's just me. If not something like a 5150 would give a nice low end grind to compliment that. Also a Diezel mixes well the one time I heard the combo (godsmack show).

actually i plugged in my strat into my quickrod the other day for the first time and used the neck pickup! and OMG it was blues heaven on the clean channell . i couldnt stop smiling. then i engaged my 808 and just barely gave it some grit and i was laughing out loud for real, like why didnt i try this earlier? ya know? so the cleans on the quickrod are there, you just have to have the right setup.

• Members

actually i plugged in my strat into my quickrod the other day for the first time and used the neck pickup! and OMG it was blues heaven on the clean channell . i couldnt stop smiling. then i engaged my 808 and just barely gave it some grit and i was laughing out loud for real, like why didnt i try this earlier? ya know? so the cleans on the quickrod are there, you just have to have the right setup.

Steve, the clean channel isn't horrible at all just now what i'm used to. Having said that for some gritty blues and stuff like that it has that in spades it's just the chimy clean stuff I didn't dig. Either way that lead channel is worth the price of admission alone.

Archived