Fuchs Frost 100 2 channel amp review and Clip.

gainfreak

• Members

That's a great review, I never really considered this amp because I thought it was gonna have to be really loud. This review has me curious now and when I get home from work I will check out the clip.

Hey Zao,

I had that same thought. I was actually worried because I live in a condo and I can't use any amps that have to be cranked unless I hotplate them or do other things to tame the volume. The clip that I posted was recorded in my condo at loud TV volumes when my neighbors were home. Not one complaint!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
No. I recorded it at loud TV volumes in my condo!. The rhythm track was recorded through an earcandy buzzbomb 2x12 cab loaded with Boogie MC90 speakers and the Lead was recorded though an old Marshall 4x12 loaded with g12h30 re-issues.

I was playing around with the timing on the solo, trying not to always come in on the one lol
:D
It's something I have been working on but Im not sure if Im 100% there yet lol
:D

Really? It sounds very tight, as in not a roomy sound. If you get what I mean. Did you single mic it?

• Members

wow that sounded great, what kind of guitar and pickups you use? Did you use an sm57?

Thanks!

I used an SM57 and a GMW super strat guitar that was made to an old Charvels specs. Its made of Swamp ash wood and has a maple neck. It's loaded with Duncan 59's and tunes to Eb.

Ralph

• Members

Nice clip! Andy seems to be a very professional guy...I emailed him about the Fuchs Frost back in April and here is what he told me about it-

'The Frost 2 channel has a first channel which is mildly clean, but is a more rounded blues overdrive like an ODS, and the second channel is a mid scooped metal (medium gain) channel for classic rock and metal. A depth mod would be no problem, and may be added as standard in the future. '

I also heard you can order it with EL34s if you choose.

I recall you said you were not very impressed with the amp at the New Jersey amp show and you and Mark Cameron liked the TDS better........glad to see you changed your mind.:thu:

• Members

Nice clip! Andy seems to be a very professional guy...I emailed him about the Fuchs Frost back in April and here is what he told me about it-

'The Frost 2 channel has a first channel which is mildly clean, but is a more rounded blues overdrive like an ODS, and the second channel is a mid scooped metal (medium gain) channel for classic rock and metal. A depth mod would be no problem, and may be added as standard in the future. '

I also heard you can order it with EL34s if you choose.

I recall you said you were not very impressed with the amp at the New Jersey amp show and you and Mark Cameron liked the TDS better........glad to see you changed your mind.
:thu:

Andy is the real deal and a complete pro/ gentleman!!.

It's funny because I did not give the amp much time at NAMM because I absolutely love the TDS and wanted to play that!! I definitely misjudged the Frost Bigtime!!

• Members

I checked the website this morning, says $2495 for single channel, $2895 for two channel. Seems like its more than worth it given the specs and sounds though. Definitely putting it on the near-future buying list.

By the way, your clip is killer. There's something in the rhythm guitar that is a little off to my ears (I think its in the mids) but it sounds great on the leads.

• Members

I checked the website this morning, says $2495 for single channel, $2895 for two channel. Seems like its more than worth it given the specs and sounds though. Definitely putting it on the near-future buying list.

By the way, your clip is killer. There's something in the rhythm guitar that is a little off to my ears (I think its in the mids) but it sounds great on the leads.

I put in an e-mail to Andy just to see what the resale price is other then list price on the web and I'll give you a heads up!

As far as the Mids on the Rhythm, I kind of dig that but I know that its not going to be everyones cup tea lol :D I had the mids on 10 and the speaker I used on the rhythm has sort of a midrange hump which will definitely add to that sound. I used a different cab on the leads so I definitely understand what you are saying!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen!!

Ralph

Archived