OT:Getting my new HDTV tonight.

The_Sh0t

• Members

gonna go pick this up tonight at Target,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889022028

its $599 at target so im gonna jump on it, it looks GREAT compared to the other "cheap" flat screens. then gonna go get this Phillips Up convert DVD play they have at walmart for $45 bucks that makes reg DVDs 1080i with a HDMI cable....gonna be watching 300 tonight :D

what type of TVs you all have??

• Members

Cool... personally I'd go a bit bigger, but hey, your choice.
I don't really get the point of upconverting DVD players though... with a component cable and progressive scan any TV should do a good job of stretching the image...

• Members

Regular DVD's are 480p....no way to actually make them 1080i? The $45 DVD player can output it, but don't confuse that with actually resolution. I don't watch TV, but if I do it is on a 50 inch Fujitsu plasma at work. Also when you buy a off name TV, make sure to get the biggest warranty possible! Congrats on the new TV!

• Members

eh, its only $45 bucks, for a phillips, not a cheap one thatll breakdown with alil use, so even if it doesnt really make it 1080i its still a good deal IMO....yea id liek to get a 37in but its just too much money, this one will be perfect for me when i get my new place, lolanythings better then a 19in old tube i have now :D

• Members

first off, welcome to the wonderful world of HDTV. unfortunatly im going to be leaving that world soon as im moving out of my parents house in 2 weeks and i really dont think i can go back to watching sports in standard deffinition.

the one you bought looks like a great entry level TV, but youll probably want to upgrade in a couple years. as for the upconvert DVD player, id pass on that its not as good as you think. you probably wont be able to tell, DVDs can still look great on HDTV. my parents have a 42" sharp aqous at our house and its amazing, and DVDs actually look very good on it. but NESN HD (new england sports channel) is where it really shines, and if you can get TNT HD from your cable provider i highly recomend that. its all movies and its one of the higher quality HD cable channels ive seen.

• Members

I love my Samsung LCD.

Unfortunately I HATE Verizon FiOS with their HD package that I pay an extra $10 a month for. While watching an HD channel you have to crank the TV up to hear the show then when you hit a commercial it feels like the TV is trying to rattle itself off the wall mount because of the HUGE jump in volume. :mad:

However it's all worth it during football season :thu:

• Members

yea ill probbly just use my PS2 for DVDs for alil while....if i get any HD channels itll be from DirectTV or Dishnet.....i wont know if ill even get one of those because i wont know how much ill beable to spend once i move out haha...money might be tight, unemployed and moving out lol, but i DO have $7800 in the bank and unemployment coming in. but back on topic, Yea ill want to upgrade ina few years, but by then thisll give me a good time i think....oh and in store this tv looks AMAZIGN compared to the RCA one i was looking at....only thing its not better then is the samsung, god that thing is great lookin.

• Members
yea ill probbly just use my PS2 for DVDs for alil while....if i get any HD channels itll be from DirectTV or Dishnet.....i wont know if ill even get one of those because i wont know how much ill beable to spend once i move out haha...money might be tight, unemployed and moving out lol, but i DO have $7800 in the bank and unemployment coming in. but back on topic, Yea ill want to upgrade ina few years, but by then thisll give me a good time i think....oh and in store this tv looks AMAZIGN compared to the RCA one i was looking at....only thing its not better then is the samsung, god that thing is great lookin.

Samsung FTW :thu:

• Members

its $599 at target so im gonna jump on it, it looks GREAT compared to the other "cheap" flat screens. then gonna go get this Phillips Up convert DVD play they have at walmart for $45 bucks that makes reg DVDs 1080i with a HDMI cable....gonna be watching 300 tonight
:D

I've got a 42" Olevia, nice TVs. Mine was under a grand, which is always nice.

• Members

its $599 at target so im gonna jump on it, it looks GREAT compared to the other "cheap" flat screens. then gonna go get this Phillips Up convert DVD play they have at walmart for $45 bucks that makes reg DVDs 1080i with a HDMI cable....gonna be watching 300 tonight

Hey man,

We just bought a Phillips 47" LCD. 300 looks great on it.

• Members

BTW.
You would want to run the upscaling DVD player at 720p seeing as how that's the native resolution of that tv.

• Members

We have a 55" Panasonic plasma. It's 1080i too. Personally, I can't tell the difference between 720p (1080i) and 1080p off a blue-ray player, so I wasn't about to pay more money for 1080p. HDTV will never be 1080p anyway, so you'd only benifit from blueray/HDDVD, but like I said, my eyes can't see a difference.

-W

• Members

We have a 55" Panasonic plasma. It's 1080i too. Personally, I can't tell the difference between 720p (1080i) and 1080p off a blue-ray player, so I wasn't about to pay more money for 1080p. HDTV will never be 1080p anyway, so you'd only benifit from blueray/HDDVD, but like I said, my eyes can't see a difference.

-W

There is a reason you can't see the differnce. Your tv's native resolution is 720p which means that any other resolution you feed it(1080i, 480p/i) gets scaled back to 720p.

• Members

There is a reason you can't see the differnce. Your tv's native resolution is 720p which means that any other resolution you feed it(1080i, 480p/i) gets scaled back to 720p.

Er, no, I meant I can't tell the difference when A/Bing the 1080p model and the 1080i model in the store. A number of industry tests have proven the same thing, so either I'm not the only one with bad eyes, or it's just marketing hype.

-W

• Members

i bought this MITSUBISHI 65" DLP (matching stand was included for free) last month:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XL6J1vqlBib/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=147350&I=690WD65732

i went with DLP over plasma and LCD because you get more screen for less money and the picture looks just as good. of course the bulb eventually has to be replaced so there is an added expense.

with HD cable it looks great. standard definition tv, not as good. upconverted dvd's look really good. i haven't tried adjusting the picture yet but it's not really needed.

• Members

Er, no, I meant I can't tell the difference when A/Bing the 1080p model and the 1080i model in the store. A number of industry tests have proven the same thing, so either I'm not the only one with bad eyes, or it's just marketing hype.

-W

1080p(progressive) really only shines over 1080i(interlaced) during fast paced movies/games etc..

They're both 1920x1080 after all.

Archived